The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I like Ahmadinejad, I think he's quite chilled out and cool espcially when he's wearing that beige jacket :cool:
Reply 41
I was hoping for mousavi to win, but there seems to be a conception that democracy is only valid when it results in what people in the west want to see. tough...the idiots voted for him...whats the point in all the violent protests...and then complaining that police are being violent?

As if police here wouldn't be violent if ppl took to the streets, and caused chaos bcoz they dont like the election results.

just my two cents...
Reply 42
i'm really happy about it actually. good on the Iranians for choosing a strong leader
Reply 43
we all know he didn't actually win. they cheated as they always do. sites like facebook and youtube are being filtered in iran right now. and iranians can no longer use mobile phones (for now)
Reply 44
Sam4God
we all know he didn't actually win.

please do share the evidence you seem to have collected?

like him or not, theres a bunch of ppl who love the guy...u seen his rallys?
uni_Boy
I was hoping for mousavi to win, but there seems to be a conception that democracy is only valid when it results in what people in the west want to see. tough...the idiots voted for him...whats the point in all the violent protests...and then complaining that police are being violent?

As if police here wouldn't be violent if ppl took to the streets, and caused chaos bcoz they dont like the election results.

just my two cents...

They don't HAVE democracy in Iran.

They only allow candidates who agree with their Islamofacist agenda.
Reply 46
Don_Scott

notice the oxymoron?
No, I don't.
Reply 48
Don_Scott

true, but you gotta remember the islamic non-democratic principles of the country are what the PEOPLE opted for after the revolution. it's a paradox but the non-democratic ways were chosen democratically.
They were forced on them by revolutionaries.

It was not a majority who imposed it but a minority.

And it still wouldn't make it justified.
Reply 50
Did the bad guy win or the gd guy win? (Don't know Iranian politics) Just asking... does the country have nuclear bombs? Everyone reckons America will invade Iran nxt...
Reply 51
Don_Scott
No, I don't.

I highly doubt any radical Muslim wants the secular state to seize all the possessions of the Islamic clergy or to grant women's suffrage; radical Islam is closer to the complete opposite of fascism than it is to being a form of it.
Diaz89
I highly doubt any radical Muslim wants the secular state to seize all the possessions of the Islamic clergy or to grant women's suffrage; radical Islam is closer to the complete opposite of fascism than it is to being a form of it.

http://www.slate.com/id/2176389/
fix. and of course they'll get away with it. Iranians are looking for change, but unfortunately today is not the day they are going to get it.
Reply 54
Don_Scott
They were forced on them by revolutionaries.

It was not a majority who imposed it but a minority.

And it still wouldn't make it justified.

revolutionaries were practically the whole country..how else could they overpower what america had imposed. people were spitting their dummy out the cradle, and decided to take the country to a complete opposite extreme...similar to what some want to do now.

Iranians are emotional people who like complaining and demonstrating in the streets...doesnt really matter what its about. They complained about the shah, they complain about hardline leaders, they brought in a reformist, and then complained about him aswell, and theyd complain about western intrusion.
Reply 55

skimmed over it, it doesn't deal with the ideology or its link with the religion all it refers to is Arab regimes and their political ambitions.

That article is talking about Salafism (which I despise) and the discussion here is about (mostly) Shia Iran
emmie19
Did the bad guy win or the gd guy win? (Don't know Iranian politics) Just asking... does the country have nuclear bombs? Everyone reckons America will invade Iran nxt...

They were both bad guys.

The worse guy won however.

As for whether they have nuclear bombs, they say they don't but various sources have uncovered evidence that could prove that they do.
Reply 58
Excuse the possible stupidity, but how much control over the country does the president have? I was always under the impression that Ayatollah Ali Khamenei was really the string puller in Iran? Could someone clarify?
uni_Boy
true, but you gotta remember the islamic non-democratic principles of the country are what the PEOPLE opted for after the revolution. it's a paradox but the non-democratic ways were chosen democratically.

Unfortunately history is not as simple or "black or white" as you paint it. The lead up to the Islamic revolution was influenced by many people. The works of Dr Ali Shariati to try and reconcile Shia Islam with social justice and compassion meant that many people thought an Islamic Republic would help bring about a fairer, free society. And Khomeini lied through the teeth when he lead the revolution, he said "a woman will be free to dress as she pleases". He promised free fuel, free public transport, justice and equality for all. However, that was all a guise, once the people voted him in (and who wouldn't after those promises?) he clamped down and murdered his opponents left right and centre.

Latest

Trending

Trending