The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Textbookworm
I was unsure of that question, I think I said that turbidity increased as the bacteria numbers increased absorbing more light (i.e increasing turbidity). I thought it might have something to do with diaxic growth but the values of turbidity doesn't seems to support that very much.

thats sorta what i said:
bacterial cells normal at beginning - turbidity constant for first hour - nothing happening as enzymes being snthesisd.
bacteria numbers increased - exponential phase - more bacteria, higher turbidity
got stagnant again - turbidity the same - diauxic growth so new enzymes being synthesised to hydrolyse second carbon source
increased again- turbidity increased - more bacteria - exponential phase
stagnant at end - turbidity constant - no more substrate left to respire

sorta what i wrote but with alot more waffling in between.
Reply 41
Medicine Man
thats sorta what i said:
bacterial cells normal at beginning - turbidity constant for first hour - nothing happening as enzymes being snthesisd.
bacteria numbers increased - exponential phase - more bacteria, higher turbidity
got stagnant again - turbidity the same - diauxic growth so new enzymes being synthesised to hydrolyse second carbon source
increased again- turbidity increased - more bacteria - exponential phase
stagnant at end - turbidity constant - no more substrate left to respire

sorta what i wrote but with alot more waffling in between.

I think you should get full marks for that, I left that behind to do question 5 as I left it beforehand. I was running out of time, had like 5 minutes to do question 5. Rushed through the main points on both parts.
Reply 42
Anyone do the Food science module, was pretty straight forward i think few questions you had to think about.

Q1) R pointing at lamella (Outer segment)
a) The idea that rhodopsin is bleached in bright light and that cones used for acute vision so in high intensity light and rods for sensetive vision so dim light. etc...

Q2) Sensory neurone (Impule Upwards)

The neurone itself generates an impulse due to a stimulus i.e placing your hand on a hot surface and as a result the stimulus tracels from the receptors in the skin through the sensory neurone to the central nervous system.
Action potential just when membrane permeability chages so more Na+ moves in and thus axon becomes depolarised may have mentioned the actual values cant remember.

Q3) For the Yeast one i think i mentioned the idea that O2 does not reach zero because yeast begin to respire anaerobically and no oxygen needed, Bi-product or Ethanol is produced instead to oxidise NADH + H+ so NAD can be recycled.

Q4) the glucose one, percentage was 83.xx% the older men has desensitised cells to do not respond to insulin as efficiently. Glucagon stimulate cells in liver to break down glycogen to glucose, promote amino acids and fatty acids to not only be used as respiratory subtrates but be converted to glucose (gluconeogenesis) and as well as inhibiting insulin production. Other hormone is Adrenaline.

Q5) Loop of Henle i drew the structure and explained counter current multiplier system, and how decending limb is permeable to water and accending limb is impermeable. Chloride pumps which cause the loop to bath in concentrated solution so draws water our of filtrate by osmosis and leaving behind concentrated filtrate thus concentrated urine (along thos lines basically)

b) ADH released by Posterior Pituitary gland (Messed up because i said anterior), Osmoreceptors in brain detect low levels of water in blood so ADH secretion occurs which travels in the blood to the collecting ducts where they act on aquaproteins. These proteins open thus more water reabsorbed efectively leaving behind concentrated urine.

FOOD SCIENCE

6a) Cant remember everything but Vit C absorbs oxygen so reducing spoilage and growth of aerobic bacteria. Fermentation of lactic acid reduces pH and so unfavorable environment for bacteria growth. Pasterisation i wasnt sure i just said involved heating and so sterilisation??

7) Was a graph question i think with the idea of choleterol and HCL??
Healthy balance diet to reduce chance of coronary heart disease (CHD)
if diet has more fat this means more cholesterol so reduced flow through coronary arteries due to build up of plaque (arteriosclerosis) so individual suffers from angina pertoris then eventually heart attack.

Fibre reduced transit time so potential carcinogenic substances are not in contact with the walls of the intestine so reduced chance of colon cancer. Also idea of fibe making stool softer due to more water absorbtion by fibre so again individual does not suffer from constipation. (Forgot to mention about build up of pressure and possible pouches that form in the colon and the idea that increase in fibre consumption means reduced cholesterol)

8) Male and Female energy expenditure, Males are larger and more muscular so greater energy expenditure. Also idea that men have less metabolically active adipose tissue compared to females and so more energy expenditure. As for the comparing the graph i just said greatest energy usage for swimming least in walking and greatest difference between male and female i think was swimming. Mentioned figures and stuff also.

Q9) Last but not least ingrediants for saurcraut were cabbages and brine i think.

Bacteria i mentioned were entrobacter plantarium and lactobacillus bulgarius. These were wrong as the answer was Entrobacter cloaca and Leuconostoc plantarium .

pH falls as fructose converted to lactic acid in respiration as conditions are anaerobic.

The saurkraut is packaged on day 21, i said it was because the had to make sure taste and ph was contant and bacteria were all dead "no idea" dont think i did too good in this question.

All in all a pretty long ass post but these were my answers anyone care to comment lol (Not 100% right i no so dont just go by my answers) Good luck to all doing the Synoptic on Wednesday.
AshP
Anyone do the Food science module, was pretty straight forward i think few questions yo had to think about.

a) The idea that rhodopsin is bleached in bright light and that cones used for acute vision so in high intensity light and rods for sensetive vision so dim light.

Action potential just when membrane permeability chages so more Na+ moves in and thus axon becomes depolarised may have mentioned the actual values cant remember.

Q3) Yeast one i think so idea or O2 does not reach zero because yeast begin to respire anaerobically and no oxygen needed, Bi-product or Ethanol is produced instead to oxidise NADH + H+ so NAD can be recycled.

Q4) the glucose one, percentade was 83.xx% the older men has desensitised cells to do not respond to insulin as efficiently. Glucagon stimulate cells in liver to break down glycogen to glucose, promote amino acids and fatty acids to not only be used as respiratory subtrates but be converted to glucose (gluconeogenesis) and as well as inhibiting insulin production. Other hormone is Adrenaline.

Q5) Loop of Henle i drew the structure and explained counter current multiplier system, and hoe decending limb is permeable to water and accending limb is impermeable. Chloride pumps which cause the loop to bath in concentrated solution so draws water our of filtrate by osmosis and leaving behind concentrated filtrate thus concentrated urine (along thos lines basically)

b) ADH released by Posterior Pituitary gland (Messed up because i said anterior), Osmoreceptors in brain detect low levels of water in blood so ADH secretion occurs which travels in the blood to the collecting ducts where they act on aquaproteins. Thes proteins open thus more water reabsorbed efectively leaving behind concentrated urine.

FOOD SCIENCE

6a) Cant remember everything but Vit C absorbs oxygen so reducing spoilage and growth of aerobic bacteria. Fermentation of lactic acid reduces pH and so unfavorable environment for bacteria growth. Pasterisation i wasnt sure i just said involved heating and so sterilisation??

if diet has more fat this means more cholesterol so reduced flow through coronary arteries due to build up of plaque (arteriosclerosis) so individual suffers from angina pertoris then eventually heart attack.

Fibre reduced transit time so potential carcinogenic substances are not in contact with the walls of the intestine to reduced chance of colon cancer. Also idea of fibe making stool softer due to more water uptake so again individual does not suffer from constipation. (Forgot to mention about build up of pressure and possible pouches that form in the colon and the idea that increase in fibre consumption reduced cholesterol)

8) Male and Female energy expenditure, Males are larger and more muscular so greater energy expenditure. Also idea that men have less metabolically active adipose tissue compared to females and so more energy expenditure. As for the comparing the graph i just said greatest energy usage for swimming least in walking and greatest difference i think was swimming. Mentioned figures and stuff also.

Q9) Last but not least ingrediants for saurcraut were cabbages and brine i think.

Bacteria were entrobacter plantarium and i mentioned lactobacillus bulgarius. These were wrong as the answer was Entrobacter cloaca and Leuconostoc plantarium .

pH falls as fructose converted to lactic acid in respiration as conditions are anaerobic.

the stuff is packaged on day 21, i said it was because the had to make sure taste and ph was contant and bacteria were all dead "no idea" dont think i did too good in this question.

All in all a pretty long ass post but these were my answers anyone care to comment lol

how many marks was the whole thing about etc. and ox levels.

did you work out the rate for the sauerkraut.
Reply 44
The whole paper was out of 70 i think and it was pretty much 30 marks core 30 marks option with 10 mark mini essay question i think, the rate forgot to add that umm i wasnt sure so ended up working out the largest range of ph and dividing by number of days, the values i think were (7.5 - 2.5)/13days not too sure though
Reply 45
AshP
Anyone do the Food science module, was pretty straight forward i think few questions you had to think about.

a) The idea that rhodopsin is bleached in bright light and that cones used for acute vision so in high intensity light and rods for sensetive vision so dim light. etc...

The neurone itself generates an impulse due to a stimulus i.e placing your hand on a hot surface and as a result the stimulus tracels from the receptors in the skin through the sensory neurone to the central nervous system.

Q3) For the Yeast one i think i mentioned the idea that O2 does not reach zero because yeast begin to respire anaerobically and no oxygen needed, Bi-product or Ethanol is produced instead to oxidise NADH + H+ so NAD can be recycled.

Q4) the glucose one, percentage was 83.xx% the older men has desensitised cells to do not respond to insulin as efficiently. Glucagon stimulate cells in liver to break down glycogen to glucose, promote amino acids and fatty acids to not only be used as respiratory subtrates but be converted to glucose (gluconeogenesis) and as well as inhibiting insulin production. Other hormone is Adrenaline.

Q5) Loop of Henle i drew the structure and explained counter current multiplier system, and how decending limb is permeable to water and accending limb is impermeable. Chloride pumps which cause the loop to bath in concentrated solution so draws water our of filtrate by osmosis and leaving behind concentrated filtrate thus concentrated urine (along thos lines basically)

b) ADH released by Posterior Pituitary gland (Messed up because i said anterior), Osmoreceptors in brain detect low levels of water in blood so ADH secretion occurs which travels in the blood to the collecting ducts where they act on aquaproteins. These proteins open thus more water reabsorbed efectively leaving behind concentrated urine.

FOOD SCIENCE

Fibre reduced transit time so potential carcinogenic substances are not in contact with the walls of the intestine so reduced chance of colon cancer. Also idea of fibe making stool softer due to more water absorbtion by fibre so again individual does not suffer from constipation. (Forgot to mention about build up of pressure and possible pouches that form in the colon and the idea that increase in fibre consumption means reduced cholesterol)

8) Male and Female energy expenditure, Males are larger and more muscular so greater energy expenditure. Also idea that men have less metabolically active adipose tissue compared to females and so more energy expenditure. As for the comparing the graph i just said greatest energy usage for swimming least in walking and greatest difference between male and female i think was swimming. Mentioned figures and stuff also.

Bacteria i mentioned were entrobacter plantarium and lactobacillus bulgarius. These were wrong as the answer was Entrobacter cloaca and Leuconostoc plantarium .

The saurkraut is packaged on day 21, i said it was because the had to make sure taste and ph was contant and bacteria were all dead "no idea" dont think i did too good in this question.

All in all a pretty long ass post but these were my answers anyone care to comment lol (Not 100% right i no so dont just go by my answers) Good luck to all doing the Synoptic on Wednesday.

last question
bacteria were defo lactobacillus and leoconstoc check ur book!

also ingrediants were salt and cabbage

brine is is SOYA SAUCE
and as for fibre

increases size of stools
so they move faster and less time for carcinogenic substances to have an effect on mucosa of gut wall
increase transit time
and fibre also absorbs carcinogenic substance (saw it in another markshceme)
and then talked about problems like constipation ect
Reply 46
Not sure about the bacteria as i was taught differently but you could be right, yes the ingrediants are Salt and Cabbage not Brine, and Fibre youve mentioned pretty much the same stuff as above.
AshP
Not sure about the bacteria as i was taught differently but you could be right, yes the ingrediants are Salt and Cabbage not Brine, and Fibre youve mentioned pretty much the same stuff as above.

would glucose and cabbage count?...where's the respiratory substrate from otherwise?
Reply 48
Im not sure if it would count, it seems logical to think you should add some kinds of respiratory substrate, however i think because the question asked about main ingredients i would have thought it would be salt and cabbages.
did anyone do option C? i thought the last question was a bit silly... percentage change came up twice in the paper.... wat was the other form of pneumoconiosis? i wrote TB since its also from dust/droplets but i was really at a loss... paper was okay...but hard nevertheless...it put it into perspective after unit 5b...that was a killer...all ecology rubbish!!

what do you guys think about synoptic? do they ever ask on topics already talked bout in synopptic in 5b?
hmm. Im sure the newurone has to be specific, and wouldn't that be a pseudo-unipolar neurone.
I WROTE PSUEDOUNIPOLAR as it was so damn blatant...hope its right

this browser was open for so long lol....popped up when i was shuting down

good luck ppl for unit 6b
Reply 52
tweediness
I WROTE PSUEDOUNIPOLAR as it was so damn blatant...hope its right

this browser was open for so long lol....popped up when i was shuting down

good luck ppl for unit 6b

I think mattbroon meant that pseudo-unipolar neurone is right and I did write that in my exam too. Checking the book, it is pretty much the right neurone. I also think that saying it as a sensory neurone would be fine as in one of the past papers, it asked to identify a multipolar neurone and in the mark scheme it accepts effector/motor/multipolar.
Reply 53
how did the people who did 4c find it because i seriously need to know if everyone found it ok, to see if they will lower the grade boundaries. i personally found it very tricky and didnt enjoy it at all and hence think i am going to miss my uni offer because the other peole in my class found it ok. man i think i need to contact my uni now because if everyone found it ok, i am screwed
Reply 54
year i did 4c i found it ok. what parts didnt you like
dudette26
u guys are not gona belive wat i rote for that stupid yeist question!! the forst thing i thought was that it repsires ANAROBICALLY!! so i started rattling on bout how oxygen is high because the etc cant work as its respires anarobiclly so atp is only generated by glycolysis!! i fuked up sooo baddddd how stupid am iiiiiiiiiii!!

Just realised I did that too... :frown:
No idea why - guess I just thought it was a good reason for there to be oxygen left.... :eek:

EDIT: Ahh ok, after reading the rest of the thread it doesn't seem such a stupid thing to do :o:

Although I have just realised I wrote that ADH increases the permeability of the loop of Henle and the DCT ooops
Reply 56
*AngelFish*
Just realised I did that too... :frown:
No idea why - guess I just thought it was a good reason for there to be oxygen left.... :eek:

EDIT: Ahh ok, after reading the rest of the thread it doesn't seem such a stupid thing to do :o:

Although I have just realised I wrote that ADH increases the permeability of the loop of Henle and the DCT ooops

with the anarobic oxygen stuff r u talkin bout the first part of the yeast cells quesiton
if so i wrote that too! lol
jsandhu
with the anarobic oxygen stuff r u talkin bout the first part of the yeast cells quesiton
if so i wrote that too! lol

I am indeedy... Seems a lot of people have, so hopefully we should be fine :biggrin:
Reply 58
ahahhaha JSandu, you have a warning level of 18!?! :P

This whole paper went quite terribly for me..tried not to leave blanks so i just guessed things..now that i've read what yous lot have put, it seems so easy and obvious :/
jsandhu
last question
bacteria were defo lactobacillus and leoconstoc check ur book!

also ingrediants were salt and cabbage

brine is is SOYA SAUCE
and as for fibre

increases size of stools
so they move faster and less time for carcinogenic substances to have an effect on mucosa of gut wall
increase transit time
and fibre also absorbs carcinogenic substance (saw it in another markshceme)
and then talked about problems like constipation ect

The bacteria could be either Enterobacter/Lactobacillus/Leuconostoc

"Nelson Advanced Science: Respiration and Co-ordination" xx

Latest

Trending

Trending