The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Made in the USA
I don't agree with you, it's the diehards who stayed home in '08. The establishment told us that only a republican from the democrat wing of the republican party could win this time around. So we got a "RINO" (republican in name only) like John McCain. For years McCain has been working against republicans instead of for them. When voters are confronted with a real democrat or a republican that acts exactly like a democrat, the real democrat will win every single time.

Perhaps but he took a tough line in the election by putting pressure on the chinese not allowing freedom of speech and basic human rights, he said he believed al qaeda was a great threat and that they must be fought wherever they are. I think his foreign policy was good but he criticized guantamano unnecessarily IMO and he is not tough on immigration.

Still he was the best option on offer imo compared to Obama. McCain would have just been the face of the party and would end up doing what they wanted him to I believe.
Neo Con
Perhaps but he took a tough line in the election by putting pressure on the chinese not allowing freedom of speech and basic human rights, he said he believed al qaeda was a great threat and that they must be fought wherever they are. I think his foreign policy was good but he criticized guantamano unnecessarily IMO and he is not tough on immigration.

Still he was the best option on offer imo compared to Obama. McCain would have just been the face of the party and would end up doing what they wanted him to I believe.

McCain is perceived as the most left wing republican in US politics. Anyone who thinks McCain is a conservative needs to read up on McCain-Kennedy, McCain-Lieberman, and McCain-Feingold - legislation advancing leftist agendas with McCain's name on it.

He was the worst possible option of all candidates running against him in the primaries. The GOP base hates McCain, and always has hated him. Romney, Giuliani, Paul, or Thompson would have all been better because they stood for true conservative principles. Only Huckabee, who has a history of hiking taxes, could have possibly been worse.
Ron Paul would have 100 times worse.
Don_Scott
Ron Paul would have 100 times worse.

He can't win anyway. Ron Paul consistently polls between 2 and 3%. He does have the most vocal supporters though
Reply 344
Honestly, Guiliani would have been a good president although, IMO.
RachelOranges
Oh gosh there is always one *slaps forehead in despair*! It was just a general passing comment about what was being said on this thread. Further I think what you mean is that just because they don't 'look' black due to their skin colour that it doesn't mean they aren't black. The same can be said when applied to different races, just because black people are visually different from white people does it make them any less of a human being? More prone to violent attacks?...NO! Outward appearance/race does not determine your character, its is society/up bringing/culture and other influences from life experiences. Take for example the wolf boy, he was raised by wolves and so acted like a wolf it had nothing to do with his race.
Anyhoo... like I said we are all one race, lets stop categorising and compartmentalising each other and try to get along. If we put as much effort and energy as we do into hating each other as we did to trying to make this plant worth living on then...wow...imagine what life would be like then? :rolleyes:

I think his point is that if black people have different facial structures, ratios of fast twitch/slow twich muscle fibres etc due to their genetics, then it isn't impossible that they may have different intelligence levels (on average) and different likelihoods of committing crimes to white people. Not that I agree with what he's saying.
D R E A M Z
I think his point is that if black people have different facial structures, ratios of fast twitch/slow twich muscle fibres etc due to their genetics, then it isn't impossible that they may have different intelligence levels (on average) and different likelihoods of committing crimes to white people. Not that I agree with what he's saying.

Oh ok....still a ridiculous theory though don't you think? :cool:
Reply 347
America already has large ethnic populations and it hasn't prevented it from being the success story it is. There have been similar scare stories regarding race, the growth of Germans, and Irish, Italians then the argument moved toward color; Black, Asians, now Hispanic.

America has consistently integrated new communities, Obama's election was a sign of the great change that is taking place, not to mention that communities are increasingly intermarrying.

"Race" is inherently a false way of categorizing the human beings from a scientific point of view, since we all belong to the same species, and a relatively young species at that.

Culture is the only valuable way of differentiating people, America is historically by it's very nature as a young state a success story of absorbing diverse cultures which produce a distinctive "American" flavor. This next chapter of the American story ought to be celebrated.
Saff123
America already has large ethnic populations and it hasn't prevented it from being the success story it is. There have been similar scare stories regarding race, the growth of Germans, and Irish, Italians then the argument moved toward color; Black, Asians, now Hispanic.

America has consistently integrated new communities, Obama's election was a sign of the great change that is taking place, not to mention that communities are increasingly intermarrying.

"Race" is inherently a false way of categorizing the human beings from a scientific point of view, since we all belong to the same species, and a relatively young species at that.

Culture is the only valuable way of differentiating people, America is historically by it's very nature as a young state a success story of absorbing diverse cultures which produce a distinctive "American" flavor. This next chapter of the American story ought to be celebrated.

:clap: nicely put :biggrin:
richie42
Honestly, Guiliani would have been a good president although, IMO.

He was the best Republican candidate, for sure.
Reply 350
Saff123

This is the first time the influx is coming from a neighbouring country with a rapidly growing population itself - and no feasible way of stopping immigration. It raises issues of dual-loyalty etc. due to the source country's proximity and there are issues related to absorbtion in relation to the continued prominence of the language of Spanish amongst immigrants. With Mexico's second-largest income coming from ex-pats and with the population growth as mentioned - the hispanics might become the single-largest ethnic group in the States with a country next-door able to give them even more clout.

In short, I'm not sure it's comparable to those fleeting waves of immigration.
Reply 351
Made in the USA
I don't agree with you, it's the diehards who stayed home in '08. The establishment told us that only a republican from the democrat wing of the republican party could win this time around. So we got a "RINO" (republican in name only) like John McCain. For years McCain has been working against republicans instead of for them. When voters are confronted with a real democrat or a republican that acts exactly like a democrat, the real democrat will win every single time.

"RINO" isn't the issue, the Republican party has consistently drifted further toward the right, and has simply become intolerant of moderates who are now dubbed "RINO", had they gone with anyone but McCain or Romney they would have been thumped even worse.

It is no wonder that the Republican party has no presence in it's traditional heartland of New England, and now bases itself in the South the Democrats old heartland.

If the Republicans don't change their ways they will be a party of the south, locked out of the rest of a rapidly changing nation.
Reply 352
Gaishan
This is the first time the influx is coming from a neighbouring country with a rapidly growing population itself - and no feasible way of stopping immigration. It raises issues of dual-loyalty etc. due to the source country's proximity and there are issues related to absorbtion in relation to the continued prominence of the language of Spanish amongst immigrants. With Mexico's second-largest income coming from ex-pats and with the population growth as mentioned - the hispanics might become the single-largest ethnic group in the States with a country next-door able to give them even more clout.

In short, I'm not sure it's comparable to those fleeting waves of immigration.

Charges of duel loyalty have been made consistently, backlashes such as the internment of Japanese to suspicion of German Americans during WWII were the most shameful result of such ideas. The wider problem is the the rise of identity politics in America since the 1970's, which affects all Americans.

Second Generation Hispanics by in large speak English as their first language and fewer third generation immigrants speak Spanish at all, Hispanic centers like Miami where Spanish is essential are the exceptions rather than the rule.

I agree Immigration policy needs reform, not least because in the case of Hispanics, the hispanic American population suffers the brunt of illegal immigration, they have their wages undercut, they have their schools overcrowded, they have their car hit by an illegal with no insurance. However, the anti-hispanic rhetoric has made legal hispanics suspicious of political reform, and rightly so when congressman run scare ad's of white pregnant women holding their bellies.

John McCain proposed sensible bi-partisan immigration reform, which was shot down by his detractors who offered, and still offer no alternative the issue has not moved at all since.
Reply 353
Saff123
Charges of duel loyalty have been made consistently, backlashes such as the internment of Japanese to suspicion of German Americans during WWII were the most shameful result of such ideas. The wider problem is the the rise of identity politics in America since the 1970's, which affects all Americans.

Please could you expand a little bit more about what you mean by the rise of identity politics?

Indeed, but I do think the circumstances are qualitatively different when it is a neighbouring country that is the source country. The two cases you mentioned there were quite fleeting in duration.

Saff123
Second Generation Hispanics by in large speak English as their first language and fewer third generation immigrants speak Spanish at all, Hispanic centers like Miami where Spanish is essential are the exceptions rather than the rule.

True, but in all previous emigration waves, there was never a drive towards bilingualism. Arguably, there is a drive towards that and some political analysists believe bilingualism (rather like Canada) or at least a very significant accommodation of the Spanish language is quite possible.
Saff123
"RINO" isn't the issue, the Republican party has consistently drifted further toward the right, and has simply become intolerant of moderates who are now dubbed "RINO", had they gone with anyone but McCain or Romney they would have been thumped even worse.

It is no wonder that the Republican party has no presence in it's traditional heartland of New England, and now bases itself in the South the Democrats old heartland.

If the Republicans don't change their ways they will be a party of the south, locked out of the rest of a rapidly changing nation.

Republican heartland is traditionally new england? Since when? Aside from our wildly popular president reagan, new england has been solidly democrat for the last 40 years or so of presidential elections. maybe you are going back even further than that, but the parties have changed so much since then, I'm not sure what your point would be.

I predict some major changes in 2010. Polls are showing Obama with a Presidential Approval Index rating of -2, which is the lowest it has ever been.

Made in the USA
Republican heartland is traditionally new england? Since when? Aside from our wildly popular president reagan, new england has been solidly democrat for the last 40 years or so of presidential elections. maybe you are going back even further than that, but the parties have changed so much since then, I'm not sure what your point would be.

I predict some major changes in 2010. Polls are showing Obama with a Presidential Approval Index rating of -2, which is the lowest it has ever been.

A somewhat better view of the approval polls at the moment:
http://www.pollster.com/polls/us/jobapproval-obama.php?xml=/flashcharts/content/xml/Obama44JobApproval.xml&choices=Approve,Disapprove&phone=&ivr=&internet=&mail=&smoothing=&from_date=&to_date=&min_pct=&max_pct=&grid=&points=&trends=&lines=

I predict a very sharp drop in popularity if the cap and tax scheme goes through. Electricity rates will rise by up to 90 percent, gasoline by 74 percent, and the average family’s electricity bill would increase by $1,500 a year. I like him as a person, but I am against just about everything he has done since taking office.
Reply 357
Neo Con
The White population made America what it is that is why:from military advances, to sciences, to education, to healthcare, america is built by the european population.

The recent immigrants have contributed by having higher birth rates because white people dont' have a gazillion kids.

Oh really?

I think you will find that America recruits top scientists, engineers, doctors etc from all over the world.... and not just white countries.

One crucial aprt of the stealth bomber was designed by a man who was from Iran, ironic huh?
Reply 358
Original post by Neo Con
Well, I am not a racist so obviously the decline of a race in their own nation is not good.

Last time I checked, white americans came from Europe and are not native to america either. But I agree, it is sad what happened to the native americans, massacred in their own land.

Latest