The Student Room Group

Bands like the smiths? Can anyone suggest a band I might like?

Scroll to see replies

Like Mr Shankly, other smiths fans have recommended Gene but I'm not so keen.
Reply 21
Also, Suede, Kirtsy MacColl or Billy Bragg may be to your taste.
R.E.M?
Elbow?
Smashing Pumpkins?
Reply 23
Well if you like The Libertines you could expand into Dirty Pretty Things and Babyshambles?
For Dirty Pretty Things I'd listen to their first album - Waterloo to Anywhere
and for Babyshambles I'd listen to their second - Shotter's Nation. Their first one's great too imo but a lot of it is ex libertines songs from unpublished sessions. Shotter's Nation is more pure Babyshambles =]
A dreaded sunny day
Can anyone suggest a band I might like listening to by looking at my music tastes

Here are the bands I love: The smiths, Talking heads, Joy division, Radiohead, The clash

Bands that I tried to listen to and I found pretty decent: New order, Stone roses, libertines, Pink Floyd, Beatles

Bands I tried listening to and didn't like: coldplay, muse, U2, oasis, artic monkeys.

I liked the music (the instrumentals) of Sigur ros, but I like music I can appreciate the lyrics as well.

Anyway, can anyone suggest anything? Also if you suggest a band, can you suggest an album/albums of that band that I should start with if trying to get into that band?

edit: To screwyouguysimgoinghome, sorry I missed out that I tried the cure. I just hate the lead singers voice. The cure is often compared to the smiths, but to be honest I find the smiths 10x better than the cure.

I like pretty much like all of the bands you mentioned :woo: I like The Cure and The Smiths evenly :yep:

Try listening to some Psychedelic Furs or Echo and the Bunnymen? :o:
BlueTrain
Echo & the Bunnymen

edit: after reading replies in this topic..have people even heard The Smiths? Tegan & Sara....seriously?

I was going along the basis of what the OP likes, I like most of them too, have the same feeling about many of the bands so was only suggesting something I like. Check out the thread title, it isn't 'Only tell me what sounds like the Smiths' It's 'Can anyone suggest a band I might like?'
Gah!
Reply 26
The Cribs, The Jam?
Tapes 'n Tapes - The Loon
Reply 27
Morrissey immediately springs to mind.
You might want to try out The Psychedelic Furs.
the clash
Reply 29
helloimsteph
I was going along the basis of what the OP likes, I like most of them too, have the same feeling about many of the bands so was only suggesting something I like. Check out the thread title, it isn't 'Only tell me what sounds like the Smiths' It's 'Can anyone suggest a band I might like?'
Gah!

:p:

Tegan & Sara are awesome btw, they just don't sound like the Smiths.
Reply 30
How about the Pixies?
The resemblance isn't a lot but you might like them.

Also, gang of Four, Talking Heads..?
BlueTrain
:p:

Tegan & Sara are awesome btw, they just don't sound like the Smiths.

You are forgiven :rolleyes: :p:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78HegEcMgsg - Cut Copy simillar to New Order

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DWzQPB7YrA - Brilliant track by The Psychedelic Furs, takes a few listens tho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF1rqJ40YyU&feature=PlayList&p=A4EA7D01C92C2EDC&index=23 -example of early U2, great track from their debut album

Give them a listen!
Lightspeed Champion. I have no idea why he reminds me of The Smiths but he just does.

Bright Eyes? For genius lyrics on a similar level to Morrissey's..

The Cribs? Interpol?
Reply 34
Nick Cave and the bad seeds, Echo and the bunnymen, Billy Bragg.
Try listening to some of the Peel sessions, or look here http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/sessions/1980s/1980/
Lots of bands from around the same era.
Reply 35
.:tomo:.
have you heard white lies?

ahh love white lies ...

back to the post, Art brut, forward russia...if you go on last fm you will probably find recommendations
Reply 36
oh yeah The Fall!

sorted.
Reply 38
Littl'ans
If you like The Smiths, Libertines and Joy Division you will love them.
Echo & the Bunnymen, Talk Talk, Lloyd Cole, XTC, The Organ (female version of Joy Division, I swear), Wire, maybe try some Bowie?

I have no idea how you managed to dislike the Cure though :hmmm:

Quick Reply

Latest