The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Probably, but I dunno if there's any research into it.

I would definitely imagine that there is a positive correlation.
Reply 2
Yeah I can't imagine thick people would do particuarly well. BMAT is considered to be more a reflection of ability than UKCAT, right?
Reply 3
lekky
Yeah I can't imagine thick people would do particuarly well. BMAT is considered to be more a reflection of ability than UKCAT, right?

Well that statement implies a correlation between intelligence and GCSEs and A Levels. I believe there is one, but others may disagree.
Reply 4
Jonty99
Well that statement implies a correlation between intelligence and GCSEs and A Levels. I believe there is one, but others may disagree.

What is the arguement for there not being a correlation between intelligence and GCSEs and A Level scores?
Reply 5
lekky
What is the arguement for there not being a correlation between intelligence and GCSEs and A Level scores?

I don't think there is an argument. Some people would probably say that A Levels don't prove intelligence. But then again, I'm sure they wouldn't dispute there was a correlation.

Basically just ignore what I said. :p:
I believe there is a correlation between exam results and "intelligence" (depending on how one defines it). I think an important and obvious observation is that GCSE and A-Level marks schemes and syllabuses have a more concrete, finite and specific content which may favour people who have better memories and understanding rather than those who can communicate their thoughts when thinking more outside of the box. An interesting question, all the same; but generally I assume that a great level of intelligence, writing skills and knowledge will help you fare better in both forms of examination. Thus perhaps there is a [slight] positive correlation.
Reply 7
I think there is some sort of correlation but probably not too strong. I know someone who got quite average GCSES Bs/Cs and a few As who got about 4 on the science section of the BMAT and someone else who was a straight A* student who got the EXACT same mark. Strange.
Reply 8
*Princess*
I think there is some sort of correlation but probably not too strong. I know someone who got quite average GCSES Bs/Cs and a few As who got about 4 on the science section of the BMAT and someone else who was a straight A* student who got the EXACT same mark. Strange.

However, I'd doubt very much people with lots of Bs and Cs could get 6+, whereas I'd say that for someone will lots of A*s and As it'd be more likely.
Generally speaking yes - someone with all A*s is more likely to do well than someone with all Cs

Having said that, the variance between top-achievers at GCSE is pretty large (i.e. there are plenty of people with only a few A*s who do far better in the BMAT than people with loads)
Reply 10
Jonty99
However, I'd doubt very much people with lots of Bs and Cs could get 6+, whereas I'd say that for someone will lots of A*s and As it'd be more likely.

Yeah ditto
However, the main issue with BMAT is timing, AFAIK
With GCSEs there is always some time at the end of the exam to double-check answers etc but with BMAT there is hardly enough time to finish the qs never mind go back to check!
Reply 11
Moronic Acid
Generally speaking yes - someone with all A*s is more likely to do well than someone with all Cs

Having said that, the variance between top-achievers at GCSE is pretty large (i.e. there are plenty of people with only a few A*s who do far better in the BMAT than people with loads)

Yeah perhaps their few A* were in the sciences so they were good at that section? Lack of an A* in an irrelevant subjects such as French is hardly going to impact the BMAT score.
*Princess*
Yeah perhaps their few A* were in the sciences so they were good at that section? Lack of an A* in an irrelevant subjects such as French is hardly going to impact the BMAT score.

I just think that people with Bs and Cs probably won't do well in general.

However, those with A*s and As can do well, but could also mess it up. So there would be a correlation.
*Princess*

I completely disagree

There's only one science section, whereas the other 2 involve verbal reasoning and essay writing - which language students are heavily schooled in (in fact most of my friends who did well had at least one non-science a-level)
Reply 14
Jonty99
I just think that people with Bs and Cs probably won't do well in general.

However, those with A*s and As can do well, but could also mess it up. So there would be a correlation.

I can see where you're coming from but I also think that it depends on the reasons WHY they got mediocre GCSE results. If it was due to lack of effort etc then maybe they pulled their socks up for AS-Level and ended up with As so then their AS level knowledge would be sufficient to score a high enough mark on the BMAT. NB the BMAT is done in November of the A2 year NOT straight after GCSEs so there is almost a 1.5 year gap and changes could happen.
Reply 15
Some pretty intelligent people seem to do badly in BMATs.
jimjomjam

Yes, but do some pretty stupid people do well?

This is the thing I previously said in this thread. Let's assume GCSEs and A Levels correlate with intelligence. Unintelligent people probably won't do well in the BMAT. Intelligent people can do well or not do well.
Reply 17
jimjomjam

Yeah I know quite a few
Perhaps that is why the BMAT is there to distinguish between those who had been spoon-fed to pass GCSE exams and those who have the skills the BMAT tests
Apparently the BMAT is a good indication of how well students tend to do on the medicine course.
Reply 18
Moronic Acid
I completely disagree

There's only one science section, whereas the other 2 involve verbal reasoning and essay writing - which language students are heavily schooled in (in fact most of my friends who did well had at least one non-science a-level)

Not how I would describe it

Section 1 is problem-solving skills, and i believe plays into the hands of those of us who have done maths or further maths. A lot of quick mathematical processes have to go on in order to score well here.

Section 2 is science knowledge, and is less intuitive, its more about what you can remember.

Section 3 is a test of logical reasoning in the form of a 1-page essay. Needs to be written in good english, but essentially they are testing your ability to put together a good, logical argument that is relevant to the question.

Time is an issue in sections 1 and 2, and its very difficult to finish the section in the time allowed, without guessing a couple towards the end.

Section 3 is a bit more lenient with time, but you still must work fast.

I believe there is a correlation, but having said that I know people who got better GCSEs than me, and scored worse, so its perhaps just a weak positive correlation.

As for this argument of intelligence to exam results correlation, I think Melancholy summed it up well. If you can remember things well, then that is a form of intelligence, and school exams do play into your hands. If you are better at thinking outside the box, and not good at remembering info as its presented, then its a bit harder to score well.
For the UKCAT having a good sense of spatial awareness and logic can get you through but for the BMAT you do need to be good at science for the science section, There are people who can get all A* and have average intelligence ( im talking about IQ) - It also comes down to the mental state of that person on that particular day. IE- Tired, motivated, hyper .... to end, there are many many factors but I do believe for the UCKAT in particular that if you have high intelligence you will do well as a lot of the content is the same as the mensa test ( such as shapes, reasoning etc)

Latest

Trending

Trending