Shia and Sunni Islam's major sins

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Major Sins in Shi'a Islam
    Shirk (Polytheism)
    Yās (Deaspair)
    Qunut (Despondence)
    Al Amno Min Makrillah (Disregard of Allah (S.w.T.)’s punishment)
    Murder
    Āq al-Walidayn (Disobedience to parents)
    Qat’a ar-Rahm (Abandoning relatives)
    Usurping the Property of the Orphans
    Usury
    Fornication
    Sodomy
    Qa*af (Wrongfully doubt the chastity of a Muslim)
    Drinking Liquor
    Gambling
    Music
    Singing

Lying
    False Oath
    False Testimony
    Concealing Evidence

Major 70 Sins in Sunni Islam
    Shirk
    Murder
    Practicing magic
    Abandonment of prayer
    Abandonment of Zakat
    Breaking fast on a Day of Ramadan without excuse
    Not performing Hajj, while capable of it
    Ingratitude to parents
    Abandonment of relatives
    Fornication and Adultery
    Sodomy
    Taking interest
    Wrongfully consuming the property of an orphan
    Lying about Allah and His Messenger
    Running away from the battlefield
    A leader deceiving his people and being unjust to them
    Pride and arrogance
    Bearing false witness
    Drinking wine
    Gambling
    Slandering chaste women
    Stealing from the spoils of war
    Stealing
    Highway Robbery
    Taking false oath
    Oppression
    Illegal gain
    Consuming wealth acquired unlawfully
    Committing suicide
    Frequent lying
    Judging unjustly
    Giving and accepting bribes
    Women imitating men and men imitating women
    Being cuckolded
    Marrying a divorced woman in order to make her lawful for the husband
    Not cleaning oneself from urine
    Showing off
    Learning knowledge of the religion for the sake of this world and concealing that knowledge
    Betrayal of trust
    Recounting favors
    Denying Allah's Decree
    Spying on people's privacies
    Carrying tales
    Cursing
    Breaking contracts
    Believing in fortune-tellers and astrologers
    A woman's bad conduct towards her husband
    Begging
    Lamenting, wailing, tearing the clothing, and doing other things of this sort when an affliction befalls
    Treating others unjustly
    Overbearing conduct toward the wife, the servant, the weak, and animals
    Offending one's neighbor
    Offending and abusing other Muslims
    Offending people and having an arrogant attitude toward them
    Trailing one's garment in pride
    Men wearing silk or gold
    Be in a business that deals with drugs, alcohol or swine flesh
    Slaughtering an animal which has been dedicated to anyone other than Allah
    To knowingly ascribe one's paternity to a father other than one's own
    Arguing and disputing violently
    Withholding excess water
    Giving short weight or measure
    Feeling secure from Allah's Plan
    Offending Allah's righteous friends
    Not praying in congregation but praying alone without an excuse
    Persistently missing Friday Prayers without any excuse
    Usurping the rights of the heir through bequests
    Deceiving and plotting evil
    Spying for the enemy of the Muslims
    Cursing or insulting any of the Companions of Allah's Messenger

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_views_of_sin - Islamic views of sin Wikipedia
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what's your view on this?? Which one of these sins you find it unbelievable? Please highlight it..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sunnis know how to party eh ?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The point of this is?...
    Oh by the way, question for someone, I am muslim but I have studied the history behind the sunnia-shia split and I just think the whole notion is so hypocritical considering the religion itself promotes equality of all followers and that they're united as one...yet there are two seperate groups who have slightly different beliefs and in many regions around the world it's caused war between the two :confused: how stupid, I hate when people make themselves out to be so religious yet in trying to be they manage to go against the core virtues of the religion itself.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think most of them make sense though. Stuf you generally, morally, shouldnt do.

(Original post by Biznatch)
    Oh by the way, question for someone, I am muslim but I have studied the history behind the sunnia-shia split and I just think the whole notion is so hypocritical considering the religion itself promotes equality of all followers and that they're united as one...yet there are two seperate groups who have slightly different beliefs and in many regions around the world it's caused war between the two :confused: how stupid, I hate when people make themselves out to be so religious yet in trying to be they manage to go against the core virtues of the religion itself.
    Yes it is hypocritical, but the split came after the Prophet and the Qu'ran was written, distributed etc. So technically the split shouldn't really exist, it isn't what was really instructed of the muslims to do. Its almost impossible to be a perfect muslim nowadays.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabka7)
    Its almost impossible to be a perfect muslim nowadays.
    True:yep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The idea of sin is pretty stupid, especially the Christian conception. The Islamic one makes more sense logically, but I think religion is pretty wacky anyway.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    How do muslims define sin? just a question i was thinking about, not only for muslims but for all religions
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reminder brother.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roots)
    Thanks for the reminder brother.

This...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yea, being a true muslim these days can get realy hard in general, am a sunni, n ive heard scholars say islam is a simple, less complicated relegion with easy rules and stuff, but when i actly see whats right and wrong the "wrongs" just keep goin on!....
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Isn't Shirk like the onlyyy major sin? I know the rest are or can be considered really bad, but compared to Shirk? Because that's the only one that can't be forgiven?

I'm guessing the Sunni one has loads more sins because they have been derived from the Hadiths? Whereas the Shia sect don't place much as much emphasis on the last Prophet (pbuh)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Looks like I'm going to hell then or whatever the Islamic version of Hell is.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    Looks like I'm going to hell then or whatever the Islamic version of Hell is.
    its hell even in the islamic version, lol
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by U3S)
    yea, being a true muslim these days can get realy hard in general, am a sunni, n ive heard scholars say islam is a simple, less complicated relegion with easy rules and stuff, but when i actly see whats right and wrong the "wrongs" just keep goin on!....
    I se what you mean bro but you need to look deeper.

Lets say that you pray 5 times a day and you are a good muslim. You would avoid these things without any effort. For example you wouldnt practise magic, murder, abandon zakat, you would want to perform Hajj, you wont drink wine or gamble or steal. And many of the other sins. These are things that you just wouldnt do .

Practising Islam protects you from these sins. We go wrong when we look at the sins one by one. Pray 5 times a day and be a good Muslim and you won't commit any of these sins. There is a reason why they are major sins.

Brother. Look at what you already dont do. Most of these sins, you wont go near anyway or be doing now.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roots)

Lets say that you pray 5 times a day and you are a good muslim. You would avoid these things without any effort. For example you wouldnt practise magic, murder, abandon zakat, you would want to perform Hajj, you wont drink wine or gamble or steal. And many of the other sins. These are things that you just wouldnt do .

Practising Islam protects you from these sins. We go wrong when we look at the sins one by one. Pray 5 times a day and be a good Muslim and you won't commit any of these sins. There is a reason why they are major sins.

Brother. Look at what you already dont do. Most of these sins, you wont go near anyway or be doing now.
    um am a sister by the way...n yea what you say is true, i pray five times a day, do majority of the stuff a muslim does, but there are so many other tiny things that arent realy explained well and is just not allowed, thers obviosly a reason behind everythn, but somtimes.... i just cant come up with anything. few days ago a gud friend of mine asked me why sceneries or plants are allowed to be kept to display, but not humans (photographs)? .. and he continued by saying that just like humans, plants are also living... he also asked me why we were allowed to display pics or ornaments of figures without eyes......i couldnt really answer these questions so i said i would study further and let him know....i could just go on with the different, little stuff that islam doesnt allow where in the present it may be neglected, and by neglecting, doing wrong and making us a "not so good" muslim.......:s
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    May Allah protect us and guide us.

One thing im not sure about is the 'giving short measure'. What exactly is that?. Has it got something to with business? i.e. giving the wrong amount in trading etc..
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's a high standard they have to meet, there
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roots)

You got good point there! [+ rep] from me
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by U3S)
    um am a sister by the way...n yea what you say is true, i pray five times a day, do majority of the stuff a muslim does, but there are so many other tiny things that arent realy explained well and is just not allowed, thers obviosly a reason behind everythn, but somtimes.... i just cant come up with anything. few days ago a gud friend of mine asked me why sceneries or plants are allowed to be kept to display, but not humans (photographs)? .. and he continued by saying that just like humans, plants are also living... he also asked me why we were allowed to display pics or ornaments of figures without eyes......i couldnt really answer these questions so i said i would study further and let him know....i could just go on with the different, little stuff that islam doesnt allow where in the present it may be neglected, and by neglecting, doing wrong and making us a "not so good" muslim.......:s
    There is so much to Islam, and so many reasons behind everything and many a times it is unfortunately us who do not understand, but if we research doubts/questions as they arise, the answers are all there!
    Taking the example of photos, have a read of this: http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/26841
    Plants are inanimate, thus the way I understand it, people are unlikely to idolise them etc. I hope that helps even if in a little way.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by menaa-x)
    I'm guessing the Sunni one has loads more sins because they have been derived from the Hadiths? Whereas the Shia sect don't place much as much emphasis on the last Prophet (pbuh)
    False.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 27, 2009
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.