The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Don't buy him a fake replacement, you won't be doing him any favors.

Nothing will hurt him more than finding out the truth one day, and you'll feel guilty too.
Reply 21
DaneCook
Lmfao, I find this hilarious.

What, a bird flying out the window? Easily amused much?

Can't really see the funnies tbh.
Reply 22
No it flew right over the hedge into the sky. We clipped its wings when we first got it, but that was ages ago and they grew back full. So it can fly really well. :sad:

I dont think buying a new one will fool him, it was quite a distinct colour and pattern, and he's just not easily fooled. And he's convinced its going to die pretty soon, and a seagulls going to eat it "because I saw them eating a baby duck once'". Damn seagulls :mad:

He put the cage and a load of food in the garden, we're just going to have a million other birds visiting :/

Im trying to convince him we'll get a pet kitty, it seems to be cheering him up a bit (my mum doesnt like cats though so that could be a problem) but he's still crying :frown:
Reply 23
Kevin J
What, a bird flying out the window? Easily amused much?

Can't really see the funnies tbh.

That must be it then.
starsdream2
Look on the bright side...at least it will have some form of freedom?

Sadly they don't survive free, they need to be looked after.

OP, sorry to hear this :frown: :hugs: Hard as it is, your brother will get over it eventually.
Reply 25
milesofsea
No it flew right over the hedge into the sky. We clipped its wings when we first got it, but that was ages ago and they grew back full. So it can fly really well. :sad:

I dont think buying a new one will fool him, it was quite a distinct colour and pattern, and he's just not easily fooled. And he's convinced its going to die pretty soon, and a seagulls going to it it "because I saw them eating a baby duck once'". Damn seagulls :mad:

He put the cage and a load of food in the garden, we're just going to have a million other birds visiting :/

Im trying to convince him we'll get a pet kitty, it seems to be cheering him up a bit (my mum doesnt like cats though so that could be a problem) but he's still crying :frown:

HAHA I LOLd at this :toofunny:
Reply 26
they wont have "survival skills", so will die. but theyd die at some point anyway, right?
Reply 27
a bird fell down our chimney today...

maybe it was your brother's??
Lol @ people telling OP to buy a new one and pretend it's the original. Kids aren't stupid.

OP, i'm afraid the bird probably won't come back but another pet after a while might take your minds off of things a bit :smile:
milesofsea

I dont think buying a new one will fool him, it was quite a distinct colour and pattern, and he's just not easily fooled. And he's convinced its going to die pretty soon, and a seagulls going to it it "because I saw them eating a baby duck once'". Damn seagulls :mad:

My grandparents used to have a budgie and it flew out of the front door one day ages ago when we went to visit. It'd had it's wings clipped as well and my grandad found it a few hours later in a bush down the road.

If you haven't been out and looked yet (which you probably have) but go look in the hedges near your house if there is any more. You might be lucky and find it hiding.
Leave the window open that it got out of.. it won't know where to find food in the big wide world, if it's been in a cage all its life, so it might come back when it gets hungry if it can remember the way!

Either that, or just replace it!
Reply 31
DisgruntledMoth
The family rabbit managed to run away when I was about that age.

Yeah, he didn't come back.

the foxes most have had a feast that night
Reply 32
ChunkymunkyDJC
At least you are feeding stray cats I guess :dontknow:

Loooll that is so mean hahaha

OP, you could maybe get another one? I don't think they come back :confused: Not sure tbh, put some ad's out and print some of those 'MISSING' posters or whatever, maybe someone will contact you about it?
Reply 33
My auntys birds both flew away once, phil and grant :smile:
Phil came back though, so keep your window open or something for a few days.
Birdseed!

Then again, birds can fly, he might be far away by now.
be more careful next time?
Reply 35
A few years ago I had my hamster in its ball outside during the summer. I was keeping a close eye on it when the lid fell off and my hamster shot under the garden fence. I run out the street and into the back field but she never came back.

I got over it in a few months. The hardest part was always thinking 'what if?' and never knowing the real outcome.

:frown:
Reply 36
Gemma :)!
Leave the window open that it got out of.. it won't know where to find food in the big wide world, if it's been in a cage all its life, so it might come back when it gets hungry if it can remember the way!

Either that, or just replace it!

Yeah we've kept the window wide open, the cage outside and plenty of food, to make it easy for it to return, the only problem is whether budgies are intelligent enough to be able to find their way back.

Our one was pretty dumb tbh and very easily scared. Plus the fact that where I live there are soo many possible predators, theres a wood nearby, a farm, all the neighbours have cats...its really got no chance, the poor sod :frown:

My brother has vowed no bird can ever replace him and doesnt want a new one. But the promise of a kitty seems to be working. :p:

Thanx for your help people :top:
Reply 37
ibs137
a bird fell down our chimney today...

maybe it was your brother's??

Send it to me in the post.
My sisters rabbit went missing, and was found 3 roads away hiding in a hedge :frown: Awww but he was ok. We took him home and he slept in a cosy box in the house for night. Awww RIP Thumper :biggrin:
Hope the Budgie returns :frown:
xo-Heva
A few years ago I had my hamster in its ball outside during the summer. I was keeping a close eye on it when the lid fell off and my hamster shot under the garden fence. I run out the street and into the back field but she never came back.

I got over it in a few months. The hardest part was always thinking 'what if?' and never knowing the real outcome.

:frown:

a hamster would have had more of a shot than the OP's budgie :smile:
if that makes any difference at all lol

Latest