The Student Room Group
Reply 40
~Morph~
yes...especially Fajr!!...I cannot seem to manage at all at the mo...Im just so tired these days....but Im trying my best and so inshallah I will. :smile:

Good Luck in your exams btw :smile:

Thanks! :smile: Good luck to you aswell and to everyone else!
Reply 41
abbasi
I would really love to go and pray Salah in Makkah and in the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah. It's just so peaceful and tranquile. I've got a cousin who performs Umrah almost every year, al hamdulillah, and he says each time he goes, the experience is even more better than the last, and once you're there, you don't feel like leaving!
I thought I'd share this beautiful picture of the Prophet's mosque I found on the net a little while ago, which I have as my desktop wallpaper!

I went the year before last I think, and it was going towards the start of Hajj season. We were finishing Umrah when people were coming for Hajj. It was awful-we all so desperately wished we could just stay for Hajj and not go home.
Reply 42
count me in to the TSR islamic society!
salams to all.
Reply 43
Wa'laykumasalaam

and welcome

............................this society is growing and I thought it was going to be a two person society :redface:
can I join?
Reply 45
sure u can :smile:
anisah
sure u can :smile:

Cool, so what do I do? I'm not really a strict muslim, but I do follow most of it.
Reply 47
BlueAngel
Cool, so what do I do? I'm not really a strict muslim, but I do follow most of it.

hmm........ erm I dnt know! :redface: -

just discuss anything relevant to Islam :tsr:
Reply 48
What does everyone think is the most beautiful thing about Islam?? What do you feel is really special? Or really unique? Would be interesting to hear everyone's views...

I think that Islam is a truly universal religion and that the Islamic community (Ummah) is a wonderful thing. There's no issue of the colour of your skin, your background, or whether you're rich or poor. It's the belief in pure monotheism and submission to God which links all the believers together. And as Malcolm X famously wrote after the Hajj pilgrimage:

"There were tens of thousands of pilgrims, from all over the world. They were of all colors, from blue-eyed blondes to black-skinned Africans. But we were all participating in the same ritual, displaying a spirit of unity and brotherhood that my experiences in America had led me to believe never could exist between the white and the non-white.

You may be shocked by these words coming from me. But on this pilgrimage, what I have seen, and experienced, has forced me to rearrange much of my thought patterns previously held, and to toss aside some of my previous conclusions. This was not too difficult for me. Despite my firm convictions, I have been always a man who tries to face facts, and to accept the reality of life as new experience and new knowledge unfolds it. I have always kept an open mind, which is necessary to the flexibility that must go hand in hand with every form of intelligent search for truth.

During the past eleven days here in the Muslim world, I have eaten from the same plate, drunk from the same glass and slept in the same bed (or on the same rug)-while praying to the same God with fellow Muslims, whose eyes were the bluest of the blue, whose hair was the blondest of blond, and whose skin was the whitest of white. And in the words and in the actions and in the deeds of the ‘white' Muslims, I felt the same sincerity that I felt among the black African Muslims of Nigeria, Sudan and Ghana.

We are truly all the same-brothers.

All praise is due to Allah, the Lord of the worlds."
Reply 49
Oooo... me too? :tsr:
Reply 50
Bilal786
Oooo... me too? :tsr:

Yes, of course! :smile: Welcome!
Hey! ...I'd like to join too...
From what I heard...it's not forbidden if it does not pervetn you or delay you from performing your obligations....
But some ppl say that it's completely forbidden because you can do more religously productive things with that time...More Ibaddah is always good just takes you closer to Jannah...
Reply 52
Oo can I join..Im an ex muslim, dont belive in any God anymore, I do know most of the things about Islam. me me me me wants to join :smile:
Reply 53
keano
Oo can I join..Im an ex muslim, dont belive in any God anymore, I do know most of the things about Islam. me me me me wants to join :smile:

You've just been added to our Members list. :smile:
So what made you leave Islam and reject God all together? if you don't mind me asking.
Reply 54
Its not a very good explanation but... the thing that made me stop believing in God was probably an astronomy/partical physics unit in physics. And also to me, its so obvious that the religions are man made. Most of the things that religions suggest are e.g dont lie, dont Zina around (slappers and players), dont kill anything etc etc. and when I thought about em these are the things most sensible people dont do anyway, apart from having the odd sex with few different folks :biggrin: . Ow the one that gets me is..dont eat pork. is haram..why on earth?? who am I harming by eating pork. Probably in the old days the reason it was banned was the meat going off very quickly in desert and people dying of food poisoning. And alcohol issue. Nothing wrong with drinking until you feel a bit tipsy. Anyway these are my views. People sometimes believe without questioning anything. But religions are good, as I said before somewhere, they provide inner comfort and peace of mind and knowing god is on your side etc etc etc.
Sorry if I have offended anyone. Its just what I think.
But I must admit I am a fan of Mevlana Celaleddin Rumi
http://www.mevlana.net
http://www.armory.com/~thrace/sufi/life.html
wise man..Id say. :biggrin:
Reply 55
As a Muslim, one surrenders to the Will of God and follows the rules and laws laid out in the hold scriptures. In the Qur'an there are strict prohibitions on the consumption of Alcohol and Pork:

'They ask thee concerning wine and gambling. Say: "In them is great sin, and some profit, for men; but the sin is greater than the profit." They ask thee how much they are to spend; Say: "What is beyond your needs." Thus doth Allah Make clear to you His Signs: In order that ye may consider.' (The Qur’an, 2.219)

With developments in science and medicine it is obvious now the harmful effects of Alcohol and other intoxicants on the body and mind.

There's a story in which a man was once asked why he did not drink, and he replied, 'By God, I am not happy with my mind when it is sound, so why should I corrupt it even further?'

With regards to eating Pork, there is guidance on this matter from the Qur’an:

“Say (O Muhammad): I find not in that which has been revealed to me anything forbidden to be eaten by one who wishes to eat it, unless it be a dead animal or blood poured forth (by slaughtering or the like), or the flesh of swine (pork); for that surely, is impure or impious (unlawful) meat (of an animal) which is slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than God (or has been on which God’s Name has not been mentioned while slaughtering)” The Qur'an, 6:145

Of course we know now that there are many harmful effects of eating Pork, and it’s been long known that the pig is a very unclean animal. The thing is even if none of the scientific evidence was unknown, the commandment in the Qur’an would stand and Muslims would still strictly follow it. Allah (God) is our Creator, and the Creator knows that which is good and best for the Creation. We put our trust in God, and God has ordained that the flesh of swine is forbidden and so to is the drinking of alcohol. There are many things which we do not understand completely, but God is full knowing and has forbidden such things for good reason, some of which are unknown to us.

For example, when Adam (peace be upon him) was expelled from the Garden of Eden for eating fruit from the tree from which he was forbidden to eat from, Adam did not enquire about why it was forbidden nor do we know what the tree was or why it was forbidden for Adam to even approach it! But Adam did not enquire, it was sufficient for him, to know that Allmighty ?God had made it forbidden to eat from the tree, as too it is sufficient for us, as Muslims, to know that Pork is a thing which God has forbidden to eat.
I mean believe it or not, even in the Old Testament, eating Pork is forbidden:

“Do not eat any detestable thing. These are the animals you may eat… The pig is also unclean; although it has a split hoof, it does not chew the cud, you are not to eat their meat or touch their carcasses.” Deuteronomy 14:3-8

It is important to remember that this life is a test. We're constantly faced by temptations and things which go against the teachings of Islam.
As Prophet Muhammad pbuh once said, "The world is like a Prison for the Muslim." And the Prophet also once likened himself, his life and the life of a person, to a traveller who stops by a tree to take a rest on a long journey, and then carries on his journey. The time being spent at the tree like the time spent in this world, almost as a traveller, short-term and temporary.

“Yes, but whoever submits his face (himself) to God and he is a good-doer then his reward is with his Lord, on such shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve. The Qur'an, 2:112
:smile:
Reply 56
count me in too:biggrin: I'm a muslim too:biggrin:
Reply 57
I'm Glad somebody thought of this society..., hey i'd like to participate where ever i can! Add me on the list too!

I'd encourage others to join too..., muslims and non-muslims, become part of the society, learn and expand on your wider knowledge!
Reply 58
So, what are everyone's favourite books on Islam?

I personally like Ar-Raheeq Al-Makhtum (The Sealed Nectar) by Saifur Rahman al-Mubarakpuri which I've read parts of and seems really good. It's a complete and authoritative biography of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and it's now been made available to read online!! The Sealed Nectar-Memoirs of the Noble Prophet(pbuh)
Reply 59
Hey all,

Does anyone have any cool islamic art, by which i mean pictures etc, especially of words from the quran?

[http://www.ummah.com/ifsa/images/section1/allah.jpg].

Latest