The Student Room Group
Reply 80
SURE U can and Abbassi probably add u to the list ltr on :smile:
Reply 81
anisah
SURE U can and Abbassi probably add u to the list ltr on :smile:

Just updated our member list! :smile:

So what does everybody think about the publication of the photographs of Saddam Hussein in his prsion cell? I'm not going to post a link to them, i'm sure everyone's seen them! I think it was a stupid thing to do and it was obvious that President Bush condoned their publication and seemed all right with it.

Saddam is an enemy of the Muslim world, no denying that, but going around and publishing pictures of him half naked is an insult to the Iraqi people and the Muslim world as a whole! These photos are no less shocking and in fact are just as horrible as the appauling Abu Ghraib photos that came out last year! And this sort of thing is doing nothing to help the Occupation of Iraq and win the 'hearts and minds' of the people.
Reply 82
~Morph~
yes...especially Fajr!!...I cannot seem to manage at all at the mo...Im just so tired these days....but Im trying my best and so inshallah I will. :smile:

Good Luck in your exams btw :smile:

sometimes I miss the fajr but I try to wake up most days ,it's these days when you wake up turn off the alarm and go back to sleep then next day you go like oh maaan i missed it :biggrin:
Reply 83
People regard the hizb -ut-tahrir as a racial, terrorist group who want the world to be fully dominated by Islam, I don't fully understand what is meant by this, and would like to know more on this issue. Can anyone help??????????
Reply 84
I think it's important to look at who thinks this and why.
Reply 85
The people who think this are, the people who do not wish to question their interpretation of what Islam teaches. Our mosque teaches against hizb -ut -tahrir,and have banned leaflets, confrences etc, is this permissable in Islam?
Reply 86
abbasi
Saddam is an enemy of the Muslim world, no denying that, but going around and publishing pictures of him half naked is an insult to the Iraqi people and the Muslim world as a whole! These photos are no less shocking and in fact are just as horrible as the appauling Abu Ghraib photos that came out last year! And this sort of thing is doing nothing to help the Occupation of Iraq and win the 'hearts and minds' of the people.

In what respect is it insulting to the muslim world? It's not like he represents Muslims. Or the iraqi people in fact? I hear they weren't so fond of him.
Reply 87
abbasi
So, what are everyone's favourite books on Islam?

I personally like Ar-Raheeq Al-Makhtum (The Sealed Nectar)
by Saifur Rahman al-Mubarakpuri which I've read parts of and seems really good. It's a complete and authoritative biography of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and it's now been made available to read online!! The Sealed Nectar-Memoirs of the Noble Prophet(pbuh)
Hello abbasi

my favourite book on Islam is "Leaving Islam" by Ibn Warraq (have a look at http://www.secularislam.org/testimonies/ ) it is a fascinating description by apostates of various ethnic and social origin on the problems they had in living within Islam and why they finally decided to leave. I would recommend reading it, so as to balance out the considerable amount of religious propaganda to which Muslims are exposed.
Reply 88
giordano
Hello abbasi

my favourite book on Islam is "Leaving Islam" by Ibn Warraq (have a look at http://www.secularislam.org/testimonies/ ) it is a fascinating description by apostates of various ethnic and social origin on the problems they had in living within Islam and why they finally decided to leave. I would recommend reading it, so as to balance out the considerable amount of religious propaganda to which Muslims are exposed.

Thank you very much for your comments giordano. I'll be sure to try and get a copy of the book after my exams are over. In the meantime, may I recommend that you read a few testimonies of another kind, of people from many different backgrounds who have chosen to embrace Islam ( a selection of which can be read at thetruereligion.org and islamtomorrow.com ) despite the negative propaganda and portrayal of Islam and Muslims in the media.
Reply 89
homoterror
In what respect is it insulting to the muslim world? It's not like he represents Muslims. Or the iraqi people in fact? I hear they weren't so fond of him.

No you're quite right he doesn't represent the Muslims or anythign like that. No one (no Iraqi, Muslim etc) is fond of Saddam, nor is anyone fond of the criminals that were held at Abu Ghraib. Islam commands modesty, self-respect and a sense of shame (hayaa) and so displaying oneself in public is not liked. Many Iraqis reacted the same way they reacted to the Abu Ghraib photos. They shunned them! They were appauled! As was I! There's the moral reasons and then there are international conventions that are supposed to protect POW's which have no doubt been violated ...

Those who took these photos and made sure they were published knew very well I'm sure about what they were doing, and whether or not parading someone half naked to the whole world would be welcomed by the Iraqis , regardless of whether or not it was Saddam! One Iraqi was saying in a news report that despte all the evil he(Saddam) did, he is still one of their former Presidents and that he shouldn't be disrespected like that in public.
can i join?
Reply 91
iam a person that believes in one God and many perceptions, so i guess that i enter as a muslim. nice day
Reply 92
well..i think that i wuld like to shed some light on this matter, what i can say is that , yes evryone has their downfalls with one religion or the other, but we must never overlook the advantaged and also the big ups.in order to be wise we must always look on both sides of the matter.
i personally have had very good relations with the Islam society, i can proudly say that my bestfriends are Muslims and my prince too is a muslim, why do i say htis, with them i find peace and happiness, they are recetive to new things and they are accomodative to all despite irregularities. i also think of the Muslims as sober thinkers that are loyal by all means to what they believe in,thats the greatest thing that i admire. As for me i had said that i cannot identify myself with any religion and that i believe in one God that i call FATHER, and that is the same God that we all worship just that we see him in different ways and call him different ways and worship him and believe in him in different ways, choose this way....
Anyway i plan myself to get married to one when iam of age, I greatly admire muslims and all those that are here....Big up.And i encourage you to keep the faith despite all the negative publicity that you get on the media, but i have one controversial question, the thing that gives you the worst coverage is the JIHADS, could you please tell me more on the matter, the christians say that it is wrong to kill.....you know...for religion....but i also ask then that during the olden days didnt the bible say and it is written that they did the same things?they also did the same....anyway that not the matter..but my concern is JIHAD and what it is. Another question i also have is that many get me when they give very many points of discrimination of women in this society....could you please shed more light on this??
Thank you.
Join me in!!

And I'm no perfect Muslim... in fact, I see so many holes in my attitude and behaviours that calling myself a Muslim is sacrilege. But I do believe in Allah, and I try my darndest to pray 5 times a day, and I don't drink and I don't...

Er, before I go off on a tangent, let me in.
Reply 94
salaamz

how do u join?
Reply 95
Hello there mkenani,

Welcome to the TSR Islamic Society! :smile:

I fully agree with what you said with regards to God, as I’m sure every other member of the society will agree. We worship and glorify the same one God, but as you said we call God by different names: Father, Yahweh, Allah and so forth. Of course there are fundamental differences in some aspects of creed and belief, but the concept of God being a single entity is celebrated in nearly all the world religions.

With regards Jihad, commonly mistranslated as “Holy War” there are two types of ‘Jihad’ which is from the Arabic root jahada which means to struggle or to make an effort (to do something). The two types are the lesser Jihad and the greater Jihad. The lesser being in a fighting sense and the greater Jihad being the Jihad to better one’s charcter, morals and manners. There is a report from the time of the Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) in which he was reported to have said “Jihad an Nafs, Jihad al Akbar!” , that the lesser Jihad (Jihad of the Nafs meaning struggling or making an effort to perfect a persons character, desires, thoughts, behaviour etc) is the greatest Jihad! It is the lesser Jihad, or the Jihad in a military sense which is often misunderstood and gets a lot of coverage, albeit very negative!!
A scholar by the name of Sami Al-Majid wrote an article on military Jihad, Let There Be No Compulsion in Religion with the aim of clarifying some misconceptions about Jihad, which I highly recommend you read!

Islamic teachings about women and womens rights are often debated, criticised and attacked! This is such a vast topic, and with the very little that I know, I doubt that I’ll be able to provide you with full answers, for which reason I’d like to again, if you don’t mind, refer you to another site, http://thetruereligion.org/modules/wfsection/ where there are some very good articles on this topic.

I hope you visit the sites and find them helpful. If you or anyone else for that matter have any questions whatsoever, please don’t hesitate to ask, as I’m sure everyone at the society will try to, God-willing, answer your questions.

Take care!

Abbasi :smile:
Reply 96
zaaks786
salaamz

how do u join?

jus say u want in and u will be added to the list-that goes for anyone who wants to join :smile:
Reply 97
abbasi
Hello there mkenani,

Welcome to the TSR Islamic Society! :smile:

I fully agree with what you said with regards to God, as I’m sure every other member of the society will agree. We worship and glorify the same one God, but as you said we call God by different names: Father, Yahweh, Allah and so forth. Of course there are fundamental differences in some aspects of creed and belief, but the concept of God being a single entity is celebrated in nearly all the world religions.

With regards Jihad, commonly mistranslated as “Holy War” there are two types of ‘Jihad’ which is from the Arabic root jahada which means to struggle or to make an effort (to do something). The two types are the lesser Jihad and the greater Jihad. The lesser being in a fighting sense and the greater Jihad being the Jihad to better one’s charcter, morals and manners. There is a report from the time of the Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) in which he was reported to have said “Jihad an Nafs, Jihad al Akbar!” , that the lesser Jihad (Jihad of the Nafs meaning struggling or making an effort to perfect a persons character, desires, thoughts, behaviour etc) is the greatest Jihad! It is the lesser Jihad, or the Jihad in a military sense which is often misunderstood and gets a lot of coverage, albeit very negative!!
A scholar by the name of Sami Al-Majid wrote an article on military Jihad, Let There Be No Compulsion in Religion with the aim of clarifying some misconceptions about Jihad, which I highly recommend you read!

Islamic teachings about women and womens rights are often debated, criticised and attacked! This is such a vast topic, and with the very little that I know, I doubt that I’ll be able to provide you with full answers, for which reason I’d like to again, if you don’t mind, refer you to another site, http://thetruereligion.org/modules/wfsection/ where there are some very good articles on this topic.

I hope you visit the sites and find them helpful. If you or anyone else for that matter have any questions whatsoever, please don’t hesitate to ask, as I’m sure everyone at the society will try to, God-willing, answer your questions.

Take care!

Abbasi :smile:

salaamz
its wicked uve started this up, gives muslims a chance to learn more about there deen and others to do dawah work! :smile:
oh and i want in!!!inshaalah i hope i will be able to make sum helpful contributions!
Reply 98
zid121
People regard the hizb -ut-tahrir as a racial, terrorist group who want the world to be fully dominated by Islam, I don't fully understand what is meant by this, and would like to know more on this issue. Can anyone help??????????

I don't know an awful lot about Hizb-ut-tahrir to be honest. I hear they're very politically orientated and I do believe one of their goals is to establish Islamic laws in Pakistan. Maybe some of our other members can share what they know about HT?? They do have a website at http://www.hizb-ut-tahrir.org/english/english.html, which might be worth checking out!
Reply 99
i'll join

Latest