The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
billiejean81
oh no! why do you think psych and sociology will come up? it's come up the most of all the topics...? :frown:

yeah thats just it in my opinion,
no reason to not see it!
did it come up last year?
Reply 21
graphixx
yeah thats just it in my opinion,
no reason to not see it!
did it come up last year?

Fair enough, I should go over it then... :/
Reply 22
billiejean81
Fair enough, I should go over it then... :/

im not doing it tbh,
if i get stumped with two ques then so be it :smile:
will274
are you doing philosophy and ethics or actual religious ethics?

my course is called Philosophy, Religion and Ethics
its got the synoptic on tuesday and its ocr so i just assumed it was the same...how many religion/philosophy courses are out there, im intrigued now lol!
Reply 24
graphixx
im not doing it tbh,
if i get stumped with two ques then so be it :smile:

:colondollar: neither am I actually... I just can't be bothered, hooopeeeefullly it won't come up.

It's ashame it's not a choice of 4 questions like all the other exams... :frown:
Reply 25
billiejean81
:colondollar: neither am I actually... I just can't be bothered, hooopeeeefullly it won't come up.

It's ashame it's not a choice of 4 questions like all the other exams... :frown:

yeah,
if its on the paper my sympathy is out to you on tues morning =] =]
Reply 26
graphixx
yeah,
if its on the paper my sympathy is out to you on tues morning =] =]

Haha, thanks!
I'm sure you'd do fine even if it does come up :smile:
Reply 27
billiejean81
Haha, thanks!
I'm sure you'd do fine even if it does come up :smile:

noo lol..
i really should revise
how awful is that
Danni-1991
Have you just made these names up on the spot?

I'm TERRIFIED OF THIS EXAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah they're all related to the evolution of religion and morality in some way (the nash equilibrium is to do with the prisoners dilemma - the thought experiment leading to contractarianism).
Reply 29
graphixx
noo lol..
i really should revise
how awful is that

have you not revised at all? :O
Reply 30
billiejean81
have you not revised at all? :O

no and i got two exams on tuesday..
oops. and work tommorow night,

turbo revision afaik..
i just honestly dont know what to revise
Maariyah
I'm well crap at language...what would you include in the answer?

Naturalism
Parallels between Divine command theory/natural law (Phillip Quinn + Euthyphro), and ethical naturalism (N.Sturgeon, supported by Kohlberg), and J.Leuba (on extending the religious to the moral)
Intuitivism
Moore (Hume’s gullotine + yellow analogy), H.A Pritchard, David Ross, Pascal (‘heart has reasons that reason does not know’)
Critique
A.J Ayer’s log positivism/verification, Mackie’s error theory
Emotivism
Frege, Ayer/Stevenson, Haidt, R.M Hare's prescriptivism (margin of universibility)
Other ‘meanings’
JR Randell, similar to P.Tillich - stirs strong emotion and binds communities through a common response to faith
Braithwaite - religious myth are inspirational - provide us with motivation to lead moral life
Shopenhauer - in music/art + Plato in myth + Anelia Jaff in symbol
Wittgenstein
conceptual relativism, non-realism, non-cognitively meaningful
Criticized - those outside of the game can understand the game - self-contained ‘games’ do not exist.
Conclusion
David Gaultier - morality is a practical solution to problems of coordination and cooperation as modeled by the prisoner’s dilemma. ML is therefore necessary to achieve the best state of affairs possible. Moral language and theorizing is therefore meaningful as a practical solution to societal disarray. We can apply a similar status to religious language as long as we can demonstrate religion is a key ‘shell’ in which to encapsulate the morality of a particular society. This proposition combines elements of contractarianism with ‘language game’ theory. BLAH BLAH BLAH

I would work with a structure a bit like that and taylor it to the question... I like this quote by Huxley - “Without language, behaviour is nonhuman”
Reply 32
T-o dore
Nah they're all related to the evolution of religion and morality in some way (the nash equilibrium is to do with the prisoners dilemma - the thought experiment leading to contractarianism).

ARE WE ACTUALLY DOING THE SAME PAPER.... 2791? :woo:
Reply 33
graphixx
no and i got two exams on tuesday..
oops. and work tommorow night,

turbo revision afaik..
i just honestly dont know what to revise

:O What do you need for uni??
Reply 34
billiejean81
:O What do you need for uni??

300 pts.
:eek3:
Danni-1991
ARE WE ACTUALLY DOING THE SAME PAPER.... 2791? :woo:

Yeah don't worry, I do a bit of outside research :wink: Im doing the RS AEA so have to get some random other knowledge... You definitely don't need it for the exam. :p:
Reply 36
Ohh thank god for that!

I need ABB for my uni.

Connections paper will make it ABU
Reply 37
graphixx
300 pts.
:eek3:

Lucky! :'''(
Reply 38
well i think that language will come up and quite possibly psychology/sociology because they were both topics that didn't come up last year.
unlikely to get an LAD/morality question as that was asked in its most simple form last year too.

i'm hoping for free will/evil or psychology/sociology or conscience.

i think religious/ethical language is an easy topic to learn but i just can't work out how to structure an essay on it even with looking at the very few mark schemes/examiners' reports.
Reply 39
billiejean81
Lucky! :'''(

even better is its an any combination 300pts offer.
so i got a few AS's to lob in there too.

Latest

Trending

Trending