The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hippysnake
What are these 11+ 12+ 13+ papers?

School entrance tests. I think it'd probably be better using UKCAT/BMAT books first though, cos they're tailored specifically for the exam.
Is there even any point in me applying to UCL or Imperial? I mean, my grades do suck quite badly tbf. (See last page) I've got 21 weeks in a hospital, and 2 work experience placements in a pharmacy, not sure if that helps or not.
Reply 62
Hippysnake
not doing BMAT. My chance of getting into a BMAT Uni = 0.

what? naa mate theres always a way. Have u considered doing graduate medicine?

my mate failed the bmat, or did really bad, even tho shes a straight A* student. But shes still going to a bmat uni in 09 but for a different 1st degree. Shes gd at UKCAT so shell do that when she applies again in 3 years.
Reply 63
while bmat/ukcat are important, both exams arent the most important stuff.I am saying this from experience i didnt do so well in both exams (602 average on ukcat and 16.8 on bmat) but i still got 3 medical school offers but got rejected by UCL :frown:, but got offered a place in kings college london, leicester and st georges.

I am an international student (18 years old)btw but did 2 years of a-levels, however i had done over 8 months of work experience in africa during my gap year, that was a bonus and i was part of a research on resistance to malaria

My AS grades were AABB in maths, psychology, biology, chemistry although my january resits made them AAAA:biggrin:

my mate failed the bmat, or did really bad, even tho shes a straight A* student. But shes still going to a bmat uni in 09 but for a different 1st degree. Shes gd at UKCAT so shell do that when she applies again in 3 years.

I'm planning on applying to UKCAT Unis. I think my grades are good enough for those.

That's a lot of effort. It'd be easier to go to do medicine at a non-BMAT Uni. IMO it's not worth losing 3 years.
tbuzz
while bmat/ukcat are important, both exams arent the most important stuff.I am saying this from experience i didnt do so well in both exams (602 average on ukcat and 16.8 on bmat) but i still got 3 medical school offers but got rejected by UCL :frown:, but got offered a place in kings college london, leicester and st georges.

I am an international student (18 years old)btw but did 2 years of a-levels, however i had done over 8 months of work experience in africa during my gap year, that was a bonus and i was part of a research on resistance to malaria

My AS grades were AABB in maths, psychology, biology, chemistry although my january resits made them AAAA:biggrin:

You have just given me a whole load of hope in my future medical life.
Thank you.
ACDC
What do you mean by that? Soz, if that sounds like a thick question. I haven't started any revision for a BMAT test yet, still deciding on Uni's!

It won't be of much use for the BMAT, more for the UKCAT.
Reply 68
How did those who took the UKCAT last year revise for it? I have The "Succeeding in the 2009 UKCAT" by Matt Green and Jemini Jethwa and have just ordered the book with 600 practise Q's in, seeing as I'm not going ot have much acess to the computer in summer.
I know a guy in my college who got the highest UKCAT score in the country from guessing it all. No lie.
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
aw that sucks :frown: when I told my mum about mean UCL interviews she was like "you better not cry in front of them, im warning you" optimistic mother <3

Not everyone gets stress interviews anyway
crazylemon
Not everyone gets stress interviews anyway

If you don't mind me asking, what're your academia like?

To get 3 offers is almost perfect, especially when one is from Imperial.
Hippysnake
If you don't mind me asking, what're your academia like?

To get 3 offers is almost perfect, especially when one is from Imperial.

9A* 3A (one A* shortcourse though)
4As at AS

I don't think there is anythign wrong with you academics really most A & A*
the art I dont think would be a huge issue if you can get reference to explain you were ill plus in probably the least relavent subject

Go for one of imp or UCL if you really want one, but then I had an all or nothing approach for the 1st year, willing to gappy if needs be

and thanks :smile:
For the UKCAT I'm doing as many practice questions as I can, using some UKCAT books from amazon, old 11+ papers and some online questions too. I have roughly 3 weeks to prepare for it now, and I'm getting literally 0/6 on questions that I've been doing! I don't think I'll be sitting the BMAT :smile:
Reply 74
@Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.) "You have just given me a whole load of hope in my future medical life.
Thank you"

u are welcome, i just need to get 3 As for kings (firm),leicester is my insurance at AAB

There is nothing to be scared off about medical school application, my advice is to really be enthusiatic about the prospect of being a doctor (this comes across during interviews)and also start doing work experince like during the summer(care homes, GPsurgery, local NHS trust, charity shop, st john ambulance). Keep a dairy about what u did during the work experience relating it to like doctors qualities e.g teamwork, empathy and like a scrap book about medical news
Reply 75
For anyone looking for 11+ papers, WHSmith have quite a lot of them - http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/SearchWithinCategory.aspx?gq=11%2b&cat=\Books
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
I know a guy in my college who got the highest UKCAT score in the country from guessing it all. No lie.

How d'you know he wasn't lying? :p:
RoadWarrior
How d'you know he wasn't lying? :p:

lol I don't know, I don't think he'd lie to the whole school. :s-smilie:
WHAT??? people have already started revising for these exams? :frown: ffs this summer is gonna be full of ukcat revision, driving lessons, open days and writing my personal statement
i miss the waster days :frown:
Reply 79
Definitely practice questions for the UKCAT, i got a crappy score last year because i didn't revise, i did average in everything except decision analysis, which i got above average in, and the mathsy bit which i somehow got below average in :s

Latest