The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

andysmith25
Ah, brings back memories.

And did anyone sing the song, something like "I'm going to paint a picture, a world I'd like to see, no more hunger, war or suffering, the way it's meant to be"

Or another one that had something like "onions white, beetroot red"

Cauliflowers fluffy and cabbages greeeeeeeeeeeeeen!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow! The Memories!
Reply 21
:biggrin: I was thinking about my primary school assemblies the other day. awww, memories.
fran.ha
The one with all the animals and the actions like 'If I was a fuzzy wuzzy bear I'd thank my Lord for my fuzzy wuzzy hair'

I remember that one can't remember anythink else of it tho.

I also remember "this little light of mine" "make me a channel of your peace" "Shine Jesus Shine" "All things bright and Beautiful."

I remember OHP duty was the best job ever, I finally got to do it when the usual teachers pet was ill haha. lol
ahh it all coming back to me "If I were a fish in the sea, I’d wiggle my tail and I’d giggle with glee"
Spanghew
I used to think that Kumbayah was about cucumbers.

So did I hehe :yep:

Magic Penny for the win :teeth:
Reply 25
kizzz!
I usually hate it when people do this but I can't help it :teeth:

They're all there; http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=628581&highlight=songs+sang+at+primary+school !

I'm doing a placement at a school and have to sit in the assembly and sing all along with the kids and it always makes me smile when they sing the same songs that I used to!

OMG thank you so much for posting that link - absolutely made my week!! And have now got autumn days stuck in my head...
Follow me, follow me, leave your HOME and family, leave your FISHING nets and boats upon the shore...and then everyone'd go LA LA-LA LA-LA LA!

Oooooh, it's great great brill brill wicked wicked skill skill...to have a friend like Jeeesus
Oh it's great great brill brill wicked wicked skill skill
To have a friend like him.

When we praised the Lord on Thursday mornings we did it with mofoing style :cool:

And that one with a million "glorias".
Reply 27
Ah, adding lyrics to primary school hymns. Never since has blasphemy been so casual.
Reply 28
The yellow submarine! And one about Henry VIII, amogst many others that I have forgotten.
Stikki
"He's got the whole world in is hands,
He's got the whole wide world, in his hands,
He's got the whole world in is hands,
He's got the whole world in his hands."

Yes, I remember us being forced into chanting these unimaginative hymns against our own will like hypnotised machines, regardless of our religious beliefs.

Ah, shurrup you miserable bugger.

The songs were never a force for indoctrination, even if they were religious. Singing hymns has always been a part of the British primary school way of life, a tradition extending back generations - so I was singing stuff my parents and their parents used to sing. Any notion that they're an example of authoritarian repression is absolutely daft. Left-wingers seem to be in a constant battle to dismantle any British tradition and it makes me sick. Long live the traditional school assembly.
Reply 30
I remember something about "Autumn days when the grass is jewelled..." can't remember the rest very well... halp?

Oh and "you shall go out with joy" with added actions and clapping. :biggrin:
Autumn days when the grass is jewelled
And the silk inside the chesnut shell
Something something something.

The wise man built his house upon the rock (x3)
And the rain came tumbling down.

When I needed a neighbour were you there,
Were you there?
hmm?
Were you?
WERE YOU?
HMMMMM?
:eyeball:

Milkbottle tops and paper bags...

Somebody greater than you or me
Put the apple in the apple tree.

And I never did find out who put the colours in the rainbow :frown:
noodles!
I remember something about "Autumn days when the grass is jewelled..." can't remember the rest very well... halp?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9mvrkQbzgc
Reply 33
Autumn Days when the grass is jewelled
And the silk inside a chestnut shell
Jet planes meeting in the air to be refuelled
All these things I love so well

So I musn't forgetttt
No I mustn't forgettt
To say a great big thank you
I mustn't forget

And

The Apples are ripe
The plums are red
Broad beans are sleeping in their bunkety bed!
We did Kumbaya, and When I'm Sixty Four and Streets of London.

Another one we did all the time started, "Wake up wake up, give yourself a shake up *clap* Get your body moving, reach up, jump up, give your friends a thumbs up *clap* It's another new daaaay"

Also, "There is a land, where sea and sand, still sparkle clean in the sun, green forests grow, fresh rivers flow, people and nature are one, oooocean breeeezes, whiiiiite sparkling sand, freeee healthy peeeeople and bloooossoming laaaaand"

The music teacher at junior school made a 'school song' to the tune of Bear/ Bare (no idea which one it is actually :/) Necessities from Jungle Book.

Oh another one had the chorus: 'Give us the lead to help each other, give us the lead to help each other, help us in our search for grace, war and hate might then subside, progress then will turn the tide to make this world a better place'... Quite optimistic lyrics for what was an utterly dire, maudlin song.
Reply 35
I was talking about this exact subject with a few people from my work yesterday :rofl:

I remember "Cross over the road my friend, ask the Lord his strengh to lend, His compassion has no end..."

I also remember one which had the lyrics "I was lying naked in the road, beaten robbed and left to die..." :s-smilie:
Reply 36
I remember "There's water! Water of life,Jesus gives us the water of life". Come to think of it,we sang it in senior school as well. And "Morning has broken" which everyone used to laugh at the line " Praise for the sweetness,of the wet garden".
Stikki
"He's got the whole world in is hands,
He's got the whole wide world, in his hands,
He's got the whole world in is hands,
He's got the whole world in his hands."

Yes, I remember us being forced into chanting these unimaginative hymns against our own will like hypnotised machines, regardless of our religious beliefs.

Read the responses in this thread. Do many people seem traumatised by their primary school assemblies?

Most people seem to have reasonably fond memories of primary school assemblies, which are a harmless tradition.
Reply 38
LurkerintheDark
Ah, shurrup you miserable bugger.

The songs were never a force for indoctrination, even if they were religious. Singing hymns has always been a part of the British primary school way of life, a tradition extending back generations - so I was singing stuff my parents and their parents used to sing. Any notion that they're an example of authoritarian repression is absolutely daft. Left-wingers seem to be in a constant battle to dismantle any British tradition and it makes me sick. Long live the traditional school assembly.

Jonty99
Read the responses in this thread. Do many people seem traumatised by their primary school assemblies?

Most people seem to have reasonably fond memories of primary school assemblies, which are a harmless tradition.

I probably deserve this. I apoligise for my earlier bitterness.
Reply 39
ahhhhhh memories! i recognise nearly all of the ones you've mentioned :smile:
i remember another one though, something to do with micklemus daisies (purple in the... corner?) and 'DON'T BRING MUDDY BOOTS INTO THE HALL'.... that we always sang at harvest.... those are the only two lines i remember of it though :rolleyes:
and another when we had to whisper "the brown beans sleeping in the blanketty bed"..
and i remember my favourite back then was one which started "from the tiny ant to the elephant", its annoying that i can't remember any more of it though

Latest