The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Angelil
Don't know about my old primary school, but my old secondary school no longer sings hymns. They stopped 1-2 years after I left. Even while I was there, too many people would mumble the words or just not sing at all because they didn't believe in the words. That's what you get when you try and get cynical, grumpy, unbelieving teens to try and sing hymns I suppose :tongue:

Yeah mine stopped this year. They still do Bible readings and stuff, but the hymns were an embarassment because nobody sang.
Kew
If you look back through the thread you'll see that several other people have mentioned it as well. :smile:

Yeah, after reading back all 4 pages i see this now :smile: thanks
Reply 82
Tootles
I remember "All things bright and beautiful," "Morning has broken..." loads of them. I've still got my book, I think it's called "Songs of Praise."

Is it alright if I politely point out that the song you mentioned is "Kum ba Yah;" it is three Hebrew words, the last of which is an abbreviated form of God's name.

Ooohh sorry I don't know what it means I just remember singing it :p: Thanks!
Reply 83
menaa-x
Ooohh sorry I don't know what it means I just remember singing it Thanks!
Yeah that's why I told you :smile:.
'A ray of hope flickers in the sky.....' loved that one.
'Sing Hosanna to the King....OF KINGS!'
'Were you there when they crucified my Lord?'
'Shine Jesus shine!'
'This little light of mine'
'Awake from your slumber'
One that went 'walk-ing in the light of the Lord!'
'One more step along the road I go'
'Dance, dance wherever you may be' I was convinced that our school had stolen this from Michael Flatley.
'Follow me, follow me, leave your homes and families....'

We had loads!
Lots of really stupid ones, first thing in the morning, every morning. Fun times lol.

Edit:

Original post by Ultimate_Geek
'A ray of hope flickers in the sky.....' loved that one.
'Sing Hosanna to the King....OF KINGS!'
'Were you there when they crucified my Lord?'
'Shine Jesus shine!'
'This little light of mine'
'Awake from your slumber'
One that went 'walk-ing in the light of the Lord!'
'One more step along the road I go'
'Dance, dance wherever you may be' I was convinced that our school had stolen this from Michael Flatley.
'Follow me, follow me, leave your homes and families....'

We had loads!

I remember almost all of these.

However, I am mainly quoting you because I just spent nearly a minute trying to get a spot off my screen, only to realise that it's a random full stop in your sig. Damn it! :o:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 86
'oats and beans and barley grow'

a song at harvest time :smile:
Reply 87
So many of the ones have been listed. Anyone remember Oops-a-daisy angel? :tongue:
Original post by Blueflare
Lots of really stupid ones, first thing in the morning, every morning. Fun times lol.

Edit:

However, I am mainly quoting you because I just spent nearly a minute trying to get a spot off my screen, only to realise that it's a random full stop in your sig. Damn it! :o:

:colone:.
Reply 89
Original post by andysmith25
Give me oil in my lamp, keep it burning!

i remember that well i'm in year 6 i sing it everyday in school

give my oil in my lamp keep it burning
give love in my heart i pray
give me peace in world keep me singing
till the end of day

something else lol i forgot its like hosanna or something well comment back:smile:
Reply 90
Original post by Blueflare

Edit:

i am in year 6 i sing most of them songs these are telling you what ones i know:
1. don't know
2.give me oil in my heart keep me burning..........................SING HOSANNA SING HOSANNA SING HOSANNA TO THE KING OF KINGS
3.don't know
4.THIS LITTLE LIGHT OF MINE I'M GONNA LET IT SHINE THIS LITTLE LIGHT OF MINE I'M GONNA LET IT SHINE LET IT SHINE LET IT SHINE LET IT SHINE....
5. don't know
6.don't know
7. one more step alone the world i go one more step alone the world i know from the bad to the new keep me going alone with you..................................
8. i know i forgot the lyrics lol
9.don't know:smile::colondollar::biggrin:
I think they should stop primary schools from making kids sing religious hyms.
Imo its just a way of preaching religion (primarily christianity) to children.

I went to a primary school that sung hyms daily and it sucked :frown:

edit:
I still remember these though.
'Sing hosana'
'Give me oil in my lamp'
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 92
Did anyone else sing the song 'Freely, freely'? We used to sing it all the time... but for some reason we always sang 'Free Ally, free Ally'. I used to wonder who 'Ally' was and why he needed saving!
Reply 93
Original post by ClearFiend
I refused to sing most of em :P
and when i was forced I sung altered lyrics...
like there was this one called "lift your banners high" and it got changed to "lift your bananas high"

there was the one about lighting up the fire and letting jesus return :/ which got changed to "light up the fire! fart on the flame... make an explosion , do it agaiinn" and it fitted perfect :smile:

and we sang the "He's got the whole world in his hands"
and we changed it to "He's got the whole world in his pants"
then lyrics we came up with got progressively more perverted at we progressed through the school.

It was weird though, cos there were several kids of other religions like muslims and hindus and they were forced to sing it as well :s-smilie: and most of us never really believed in god anyway :s-smilie:

LOVE IT!

Reading all these posts is bringing so many happy memories back :smile: I loved primary school assembly songs!!!
Reply 94
Colours of day...
Do Not Be Afraid (Most morbid tune ever)
Jesus is a rock (when my secondary school bought drums and thought Chriatian rock would be well received...how wrong could they be!)
Reply 95
This Is The Day
Jesus Loves Me
Make Me A Channel Of Your Peace
Jesus Loves Me
Lord Of The Dance
I remember so many of these and now cannot wait to go back to primary school on work experience to listen to some of these songs and hymns that i have forgotten, but as that is 4 months away i was wondering could anyone help me and remind what the lyrics or the title of the hymn/song where i am not sure weather it is Jesus or some other person has to be pulled into a boat and there is a light house or something in the hymn too. I know it is a long shot but it has really been bugging me recently ahaha. Thanks
Christ this brings back memories! Do primary schools still do all this? Looking back at it, I can't really understand why they enjoyed these Christian hymns so much.
Reply 98
Original post by kizzz!
I usually hate it when people do this but I can't help it :teeth:

They're all there; http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=628581&highlight=songs+sang+at+primary+school !

I'm doing a placement at a school and have to sit in the assembly and sing all along with the kids and it always makes me smile when they sing the same songs that I used to!
:K:
There was one about dancing in the morning, that was my favorite. :biggrin:

(Jesus dancing just to clarify)

Latest