Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do people hate Ronaldo?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nhala)
    People disliked him...

He used to be good-looking, now with his vanity he is spoiling those good-looks. He needs to get his head screwed on.

...we have differing views over this PD :p:
    No he's really not! Haha.

It's just jealousy. I thought his diving was ridiculous to start with and he did improve but he just couldn't shake the label once it was stuck and had bad days where it was reinforced. People said it after the Barca match though and he barely dived in that. He just arrived with a love him or hate him approach, which some will find annoying, others find quite funny. I tend to do it myself so I find him amusing when I read arrogant quotes but others aren't quite as self-assured and take it out on him because he is.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i hated him before he left Man United because he is not a team player and way too arrogant. happy he is gone and made good money out of him. Now hate even more for disrespecting United :mad:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nhala)
    In all fairness PD, just because myself and others have views different to yours this does not categorise tham as being poor and inconsistent reasons.

There are normally reasons why people dislike or hate others. And for me it is because Ronaldo, despite him being a good player, stands for all I do not want in footy: cheating, lack of respect for manager and inconsistency as a team-player. I would dislike/hate others who were the same.
    After the hissy fit Ferguson stuck up for him saying that it is the attitude of a winner who wants to be on the pitch all the time. He has a strong personality and as with most strong personalities he can be hard to work with. Here is a list of other top players who have had major fallings out with club owners/clubs/managers: Drogba, Ballack, Roy Keane, Maradona, Cantona, Beckham, Cruyff, George Best, Adriano, Ibrahimovic. OK I could get on but my point's been made. And let's not get started on managers who bicker all the time.

To get to the top of your profession, be it football, politics, investment banking, you have to trust yourself 100%, be extremely driven and commited and talented. Ronaldo is all those things and follows in a long line of players.

Not every great players is like this but many are. What seems to separate Ronaldo from most of the rest is that he enjoys his celebrity and so fans dont feel the same connection with him. Gerrard, Lampard, Iniesta, Xavi and others do not play the celebrity lifestyle, instead choosing to forge strong bonds with the fans.

In fact this might be it: celebrity and football should not mix. That's why Ashley Cole is probably hated so much. We don't like our footballers to also be celebrities because it in some way cheapens them.
    Interesting point, Paul.

Edit: I like him because we have quite similar temperaments. Ive got "Take it or Leave it" by the Strokes playing and thats exactly it.
    I prefer Mourinho. There really is an idol.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cuz he's purdy :love:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HannahRos)
    . People said it after the Barca match though and he barely dived in that..
    i feel obliged to point out this is because he didnt actually touch the ball in that game. :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)
    I think it's because of the whole Rooney incident at WC 2006. Since that day Ronaldo haters went through the roof. England always love to find a scapegoat and the scapegoat was him.

In terms of going down easily Stevie G and Drogba are up there. But Drogba wasn't involved in any incident involving the England national team and Stevie G is world-class and English. :yep:
    Most accurate description.
    Many people are absolute idiots, and are willing to believe anything that the papers say. So when they say that Ronaldo "persuaded" the referee to send Rooney off, and that's why they lost to Portugal the masses will believe that.
    Ronaldo is allowed to be arrogant, because if he isn't arrogant then he wont be as good as he is right now, sure there are players etc who aren't arrogant but each person is different and the way they express themselves is also different. I personally feel that it is so extremely unfair that Manchester United fans treat Ronaldo in such a way - just because he is going to Real Madrid for a record fee, and now that he's gone they hate him, but as long as he was at United, and winning them all that they won in the 07/08 season, they are happy.
    I for one am an ardent supporter of Ronaldo, because his arrogance makes him what he is, his tremendous skill makes him what he is, and he is correct to say that he doesn't give a **** about english fans because of they way they have always treated him - It's disgraceful. I hope he receives better treatment in Spain.
    Good luck to him.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phonicsdude)
    After the hissy fit Ferguson stuck up for him saying that it is the attitude of a winner who wants to be on the pitch all the time. He has a strong personality and as with most strong personalities he can be hard to work with. Here is a list of other top players who have had major fallings out with club owners/clubs/managers: Drogba, Ballack, Roy Keane, Maradona, Cantona, Beckham, Cruyff, George Best, Adriano, Ibrahimovic. OK I could get on but my point's been made. And let's not get started on managers who bicker all the time.

To get to the top of your profession, be it football, politics, investment banking, you have to trust yourself 100%, be extremely driven and commited and talented. Ronaldo is all those things and follows in a long line of players.

Not every great players is like this but many are. What seems to separate Ronaldo from most of the rest is that he enjoys his celebrity and so fans dont feel the same connection with him. Gerrard, Lampard, Iniesta, Xavi and others do not play the celebrity lifestyle, instead choosing to forge strong bonds with the fans.

In fact this might be it: celebrity and football should not mix. That's why Ashley Cole is probably hated so much. We don't like our footballers to also be celebrities because it in some way cheapens them.
    Interesting point, Paul.

Edit: I like him because we have quite similar temperaments. Ive got "Take it or Leave it" by the Strokes playing and thats exactly it.
    Of course Fergy would stick up for him. Managers most of the time do, even if they disagree with a players attitude/misbehavings. The scoulding will generally be done behind closed doors, not in public---tis professional. Oh, and the whole thing about players having probs with their club/manager/fans, being an Arsenal fan with ANELKA (who did the same at Liverpool) I have been there. Just because others have done it, it does NOT justify this behaviour.

I agree he is driven etc, but you are not seeing the points I have listed previously, nor those by others, as to why he is disliked. So I am not going to repeat myself again.

I don't know Lampard and Gerrard are pictured out quite a bit in celeb gatherings. And lets be frank, Gerrards wife does all the celeb side for him :p: Becks embraced the celeb culture to a much higher degree than Ronaldo, but I have never hated him (except the brief time when he got sent off for that famous on the floor foot-up). Zidane did the whole celeb culture thing, yet I did not hate him (stupid headbutt though :rolleyes: ). Many players have crossed the sports/celeb line, yet this is not a reason as to why I hate Ronaldo.

Oh, and Cole is hated so much by quite a few because a) he has Cheryl and b) his divert to Chelsea.

PD: We are never going to agree on this. You will not convince me, nor I you. So let us say we are at opposite ends of the spectrum and both are points are fair and valid.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    And for those of you who think that it's a farce about how he claims that he's "changed football" (not sure where he said that) but even then, the things he can do with a dead ball are revolutionary, and he has just raised the benchmark standard for the "winger" position, while I would say that these attributes wouldn't yet lead to him having "changed football" if he stays anywhere near the current form he's in and he will no doubt have been the best winger the world has ever seen.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Interesting point, Paul.

To this statement: of course they do mix. Why do you think Real paid £80million for Ronaldo? It is not just because he is a good player, but because the revenue he can bring in via t-shirt sales, ads, attendence etc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    several reasons

-he cheats. Rolling around on the floor trying to get people sent off, wasting time, generally being cynical

-despite the above, being a dirty player. Regularly lashes out, and hasn't picked up the number of cards he should have

-his arrogance when things are going well and petulance when they aren't

-as a leeds fan, the fact Norman Hunter would have made mincemeat out of him
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HannahRos)
    No he's really not! Haha.

It's just jealousy. I thought his diving was ridiculous to start with and he did improve but he just couldn't shake the label once it was stuck and had bad days where it was reinforced. People said it after the Barca match though and he barely dived in that. He just arrived with a love him or hate him approach, which some will find annoying, others find quite funny. I tend to do it myself so I find him amusing when I read arrogant quotes but others aren't quite as self-assured and take it out on him because he is.
    We disagree on that then. I used to think he was really attractive, but now with his perma-tan, hair and dress sense I do not. Still got a ripped body, but :rolleyes:

He dives frequently, it is not a mislabel.

I have not actually read any quotes he said, most are taken out-of-context by the journalists etc tbh. The quotes have no influence over my dislike for him.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    So far we have,

He's richer to me and I resent that.
    He gets all the girls and lives a playboy lifestyle and I resent that.
    He dives like a lot of other talented footballers (Drogba and Pires). This isn't as bad as having lumps kicked out of you by less talented defenders and I resent that.

So a lot of resentment.

Ever since the British press needed a scapegoat after Rooney stamped on a Portuguese player's groin in WC 2006 and was rightly sent off, there's been an attempt to portray him as sneaky. To laugh at his stepovers. To have him out as gay. Or a poser.

Really he's just a young, good-looking, successful man who can earn a lot of money for the club he plays for and so is well rewarded. So much hate. Why do people hate those with success, gosh..
    No, you missed off the list:

* He's a cocky git.
    * He swears verbally and physically.
    * He's one of those players who cries whenever something doesn't go his way, like a twisted ankle.

I think he has amazing talent and I'd love to see him do well. I don't think his behaviour justifies £80m and £500k/week.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ronaldo gave 100k to the hospital that saved his mother.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scanningforlifeforms)
    several reasons

-he cheats. Rolling around on the floor trying to get people sent off, wasting time, generally being cynical

-despite the above, being a dirty player. Regularly lashes out, and hasn't picked up the number of cards he should have

-his arrogance when things are going well and petulance when they aren't

-as a leeds fan, the fact Norman Hunter would have made mincemeat out of him
    Couldn't agree more :yep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom Wigan)
    Ronaldo gave 100k to the hospital that saved his mother.
    I said that in a previous post he treats his mother well, that is one of his redeeming features. But tbh, 100k is pocket money to him. Most sports stars/celebs/business folk/those rich through inheritance give money to worthy causes. This should be the norm, giving back to society and all. I give money to a variety of charities/worthy causes despite being on a low wage and in debt from student days, but obv not 100k, as not on Ronaldo wage :p: I further gave one of my fave blankets (from my suitcase) to a homeless guy. It was clean and well looked after. I do not expect to be praised for this, nor should Ronaldo for the above.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Why do people hate Ronaldo?
    Because he's a tit, but I hate Drogba and Lampard just as much.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TI-84)
    And for those of you who think that it's a farce about how he claims that he's "changed football" (not sure where he said that) but even then, the things he can do with a dead ball are revolutionary, and he has just raised the benchmark standard for the "winger" position, while I would say that these attributes wouldn't yet lead to him having "changed football" if he stays anywhere near the current form he's in and he will no doubt have been the best winger the world has ever seen.
    this is ridiculous. he has not had a great season this season and either way he will not be the best winger the world has ever seen, hes not even the best one alive right now.
    My god :rolleyes:

And i wouldnt call the things he can do with a dead ball revolutionary, i would definetly prefer to watch ronaldinho with one than him

"ronaldo gave 100k to the hospital that saved his mother." (cant be bothered to quote properly)
    A hospital saved his mother and he only gave them 100k?. he makes what? 150k a week so in terms of how much its worth to him thats like me giving a £20 to a hospital that saved my mother, not a lot really is it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Girls really like him. Which means jealous men dislike him. 'Football women' then, without the strongest footballing knowledge, see that it's good to hate him, and thus do.
    Also it can get frustrating when he single-handedly tears apart your team...
    I'm a Newcastle fan, I've seen it happen to us!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oo_Lucinda_oo)
    Cuz he's purdy :love:
    Someone being "purdy" does not ignite hatred or dislike. Gotta love what god/genes gave you and appreciate what others have.

(mmm, Freddie Ljungberg :rolleyes:---4-6yrs ago)
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why do people like Ronaldo? is a much more appropriate question.

He's a prissy who throws too many hissy fits. Plus he slept with Paris Hilton :puke:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 7, 2009
New on TSR

Strictly iPlayer

Will you still watch if some BBC programmes go online only?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.