The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Joerocks
how is asking how many white people are there racist?
When the sentence is preceded by "it's hard to find decent people" and "I hate to sound racist but". And when the question isn't about how many culturally british people, but rather how many "caucasians", there are. Sounds a bit scary
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 21
sandro
When the sentence is preceded by "it's hard to find decent people" and "I hate to sound racist but". And when the question isn't about how many culturally british people, but rather how many "caucasians", there are. Sounds a bit scary

Oh God forbid a girl prefers white guys over other races. No! It's terrible!
Reply 22
A dreaded sunny day
But if you're a girl that's a good thing.

It's the equivalent for a boy going to Royal Vet. college (80% female I believe).

More of the opposite sex=better love life/dating opportunities.

Having said that London is a big place, so all you need to do if you're a boy and want to meet girls is step outside (the uni).

Why on earth am I finding this out now? Bloody Econ LSE 99% male; I would have continued biology and chemistry to a-level! Now, I'm going to turn into a fat, boring, member of the tories ...:woo:
Reply 23
Joerocks
Oh God forbid a girl prefers white guys over other races. No! It's terrible!
Obviously there's nothing racist about people having physical preferences. How is that relevant here?

When you read something like "I don't want to be racist but it's hard to find decent people around here. I hope there are enough caucasians. Because i will be a minority". The statement is idiotic, it's not even a question of political-correctness. Why care about their race, see people as individuals.

Lol but I clicked on your profile and found you're a bnp supporter
Reply 24
sandro
Obviously there's nothing racist about people having physical preferences. How is that relevant here?

When you read something like "I don't want to be racist but it's hard to find decent people around here. I hope there are enough caucasians. Because i will be a minority". The statement is idiotic, it's not even a question of political-correctness. Why do care about their race, see people as individuals.

Lol I clicked on your profile, and found you're bnp supporter

yes, bnp run my local area and they do a damn good job of it

but she was clearly talking about relationships to start with.

you're one of those southern do-gooders arent you? :/
Reply 25
What's the point in grouping people together in terms of some totally arbitrary category. Who even notices this stuff. See each person as an individual.

Physical preference is something completely different.

Nick griffin has done a good job giving the bnp an acceptable veneer. Look below the surface, they are extremely bonkers
Joerocks
yes, bnp run my local area and they do a damn good job of it

Yeah! who cares that their policy is moronic, dated and extremist. They do know how to put up a few children's playparks!

Fancy justifying their policies? Or are you as stuck in the wave of craptastic propaganda as the rest of your ilk?
Reply 27
Gather round and listen up, listen good, kids.

I'm a current Imperial student. I'm studying Physics. I'm currently in my first year.

Throughout the year, I have been going out at least twice a week, more often than not 4 or 5 times a week; depending on the strength of the previous night's hangover. Even in the weeks before/of exams, I still went out at least one a week. I'm currently recovering from a hangover, but fully intend to go out.

Now, I'm not going to lie to you; I'm in the minority here. Most people here don't go out nearly as much as I do. However, there are a few that basically do, and that's enough. Otherwise, there are enough people who'll go out once/twice a week, and I can just go out with different people on different nights so it's all fine.

Despite what you may have heard/assumed, Imperial does have humans in the student population. True, there are a few (read: a lot of) antisocial oriental drones, but there are plenty of common people like you. Who dance, and drink, and screw.

It must be said, though; the ratio is very bad for guys. I've pulled a couple of Imperial girls, but mostly the girls I've picked up in my time here have been "outsiders", in clubs and the like. (Pro tip: never go to the Zoo bar. Almost always a sausage-fest :nn:). Oh, and the union's *****. It's good for pre-drinks, or drinks with mates, but otherwise atrocious. Even when they attempt to make it a club night at dBs, it's just cringeworthy really. If anyone's interested, I can share my knowledge of clubs/bars which are accessible around Imperial, cheap, have good ratios, play good music, etc. If so, quote me, I rarely bother checking the Imperial forum these days. :pierre:

:top2:
Reply 28
HCD

I'm a current Imperial student. I'm studying Physics. I'm currently in my first year.

Throughout the year, I have been going out at least twice a week, more often than not 4 or 5 times a week; depending on the strength of the previous night's hangover. Even in the weeks before/of exams, I still went out at least one a week. I'm currently recovering from a hangover, but fully intend to go out.

Now, I'm not going to lie to you; I'm in the minority here. Most people here don't go out nearly as much as I do. However, there are a few that basically do, and that's enough. Otherwise, there are enough people who'll go out once/twice a week, and I can just go out with different people on different nights so it's all fine.

Despite what you may have heard/assumed, Imperial does have humans in the student population. True, there are a few (read: a lot of) antisocial oriental drones, but there are plenty of common people like you. Who dance, and drink, and screw.

It must be said, though; the ratio is very bad for guys. I've pulled a couple of Imperial girls, but mostly the girls I've picked up in my time here have been "outsiders", in clubs and the like. (Pro tip: never go to the Zoo bar. Almost always a sausage-fest :nn:). Oh, and the union's *****. It's good for pre-drinks, or drinks with mates, but otherwise atrocious. Even when they attempt to make it a club night at dBs, it's just cringeworthy really. If anyone's interested, I can share my knowledge of clubs/bars which are accessible around Imperial, cheap, have good ratios, play good music, etc. If so, quote me, I rarely bother checking the Imperial forum these days. :pierre:

Be great to know the good places around, will save some effort and ****** nights in the first few weeks :P. What did you find it like in halls too? Get along with most people / people pretty talkative or more keep themselves to themselves?
HCD
If anyone's interested, I can share my knowledge of clubs/bars which are accessible around Imperial, cheap, have good ratios, play good music, etc. If so, quote me, I rarely bother checking the Imperial forum these days. :pierre:

Do you know any good punk clubs? If not, any other club that plays good music will be fine (I'm into pretty much anything, really... ). Well, with the exception of clubs like tiger tiger and the ministry of sound, which represent hell on earth for me. lol

Reply 30
mituozo
Be great to know the good places around, will save some effort and ****** nights in the first few weeks :P. What did you find it like in halls too? Get along with most people / people pretty talkative or more keep themselves to themselves?

Yeah, in the Freshers stage everyone's friendly, and you'll find yourself getting on with people, getting everyone's number, thinking you've found loads of great buddies and then never end up speaking to most of them ever again. :p: After the first few weeks, people form their cliques. Some are more insular than others, but generally you'll be friendly with most people (unless you're a complete knob-jockey :teeth:)

AccidentProne
Do you know any good punk clubs? If not, any other club that plays good music will be fine (I'm into pretty much anything, really... ). Well, with the exception of clubs like tiger tiger and the ministry of sound, which represent hell on earth for me. lol

I am also "not a fan" of the likes of Tiger, Ministry, or any other "mainstream" clubs which just play "RnB", "Funky House", "Dubstep", and the obvious current "in" pop tracks. No thank you, sir. :top2: There's a club called "Punk" opposite The Roxy, but I don't know if the name's fashionable and ironic, or actually descriptive, sorry! Clubs which I rather like include:

The Roxy: The site is pretty pretentious and irritating, but that's life. Mondays and Tuesdays are the nights to be here. The music is good, they're fairly good for requests, and the drinks are cheap. £7.95 gets you a cocktail pitcher - an example is a Filthy Habit, my personal poison, which contains 5 shots of vodka, a few shots of strawberry and coconut schnapps, grenadine and lemonade. It's really easy to drink, and very alcoholic. £2.70 will get you a double vodka and mixer. £3.30 is 2 bottles of Grolsch. For London, all of those are good prices, but especially the cocktail pitchers. I'm pretty well-known there by the bouncer, Val, and one of the other DJs by now. You get in cheap if you're on the mailing list, or if you're with me. :cool: This is Mondays. Tuesdays are very similar, slightly more popular, and less old school in terms of music. My last.fm in on my TSR profile, and I approve of this club. It's not perfect, they still play current mainstream crowd-pleasers, but the atmosphere is great, and they do play decent stuff.

Cheapskates: 80p a drink, speaks for itself. The drinks are slightly watered down, but it's still the cheapest you're going to get drunk in a club, and it's usually very full. They play a range of music, including music I hate, but are good for requests and play enough decent stuff to be worth going to. It's also good on a Monday and Thursday, though Thursdays are a whole £1, not 80p, a drink. :eek3:

B@1: A cocktail bar that plays classic tunes from across the decades, most of it is not current crap, but actual genuine classics, which is nice. Happy hours are listed on the sites per venue, but the favourite tends to be Hammersmith on a Sunday, as it's happy hour all night. Cocktails are £6.50 a go, so the 2 for 1 deals in happy hour are the only things that make it worth going to, really. There's one in "Soho", but it's literally just off Picadilly Circus (which is ludicrously accessible by bus from the majority of halls), so it's nice, but not open for as long as a Sunday. Still, I massively prefer the layout and atmosphere of the Picadilly one to the Hammersmith one. Takes ages to get served on a Sunday at Hammersmith too, you can wait for 10-30 minutes at times if it's busy and the ****ers in front order complicated cocktails, and lots of them. :rant:

Electric Dreams: A great place to go if you like the music of the 80s and/or electro/new-wave/synthpop. Such as Depeche Mode, Human League, Soft Cell... :coma: Now, be advised; this is not a likely place to pull. It's mainly full of older people (late 20s to 40s), but if you go with a group of friends who appreciate the music, then you can have a great time. Drinks are reasonably priced, pretty standard for London, expect to pay about £3 a pint, £6 a double vodka, approximately. For a central London club, that is not unreasonable. Avoid the "Corky's" flavoured vodka shots; they seem good at £1 each, but they're 14% proof. Pretty crap for a shot; 10 shots of Corky's is a glass of wine. :nn:

Other tips:

"Koko", a popular indie club, will charge you £8 for a double spirit. Pre-drink heavily or just avoid the damn place.

Tiger Tiger, unless it's a Monday and you want vodka, has similar pricing strategies; double spirits are £7 something.

The Zoo Bar is a massive sausagefest almost all of the time and is ludicrously overpriced, not as bad as the 2 above but similar.

Most prices in places like Ministry are bad, but they do have some deals which can be decent. I hate the music anyway, though.

"Club Neon" nights are something to look out for, they're normally open very late, and are a massive laugh; just don't take it seriously. Drinks deals are also reasonable (£4 for 2 alcopops).

If you're not fussy, the cheapest way to get pissed in an overpriced club is almost always a whole bottle of the cheapest house wine. The price:unit ratio is, in the absence of decent drinks deals, the best. It's pretty sickening to down though.

Night buses are your friends. Your best friends. Cabs are your wallets' enemies. Find the nearest bus stop where a night bus runs to your halls before going out, so you can get home for £1 rather than £10 plus. You might need to catch 2 night buses home. Often it'll be one to Picadilly, then change to go home. Depends on what halls you're at though, obviously.

Obviously all this is subjective; if you like the generic mainstream R&B/pop/House/Rap etc clubs, then frankly you don't even need my advice. There are ****loads of clubs which play nothing but that, but it's not my scene.

Hope this helps! :top2:
Reply 31
HCD
Yeah, in the Freshers stage everyone's friendly, and you'll find yourself getting on with people, getting everyone's number, thinking you've found loads of great buddies and then never end up speaking to most of them ever again. :p: After the first few weeks, people form their cliques. Some are more insular than others, but generally you'll be friendly with most people (unless you're a complete knob-jockey :teeth:)

I am also "not a fan" of the likes of Tiger, Ministry, or any other "mainstream" clubs which just play "RnB", "Funky House", "Dubstep", and the obvious current "in" pop tracks. No thank you, sir. :top2: There's a club called "Punk" opposite The Roxy, but I don't know if the name's fashionable and ironic, or actually descriptive, sorry! Clubs which I rather like include:

The Roxy: The site is pretty pretentious and irritating, but that's life. Mondays and Tuesdays are the nights to be here. The music is good, they're fairly good for requests, and the drinks are cheap. £7.95 gets you a cocktail pitcher - an example is a Filthy Habit, my personal poison, which contains 5 shots of vodka, a few shots of strawberry and coconut schnapps, grenadine and lemonade. It's really easy to drink, and very alcoholic. £2.70 will get you a double vodka and mixer. £3.30 is 2 bottles of Grolsch. For London, all of those are good prices, but especially the cocktail pitchers. I'm pretty well-known there by the bouncer, Val, and one of the other DJs by now. You get in cheap if you're on the mailing list, or if you're with me. :cool: This is Mondays. Tuesdays are very similar, slightly more popular, and less old school in terms of music. My last.fm in on my TSR profile, and I approve of this club. It's not perfect, they still play current mainstream crowd-pleasers, but the atmosphere is great, and they do play decent stuff.

Cheapskates: 80p a drink, speaks for itself. The drinks are slightly watered down, but it's still the cheapest you're going to get drunk in a club, and it's usually very full. They play a range of music, including music I hate, but are good for requests and play enough decent stuff to be worth going to. It's also good on a Monday and Thursday, though Thursdays are a whole £1, not 80p, a drink. :eek3:

B@1: A cocktail bar that plays classic tunes from across the decades, most of it is not current crap, but actual genuine classics, which is nice. Happy hours are listed on the sites per venue, but the favourite tends to be Hammersmith on a Sunday, as it's happy hour all night. Cocktails are £6.50 a go, so the 2 for 1 deals in happy hour are the only things that make it worth going to, really. There's one in "Soho", but it's literally just off Picadilly Circus (which is ludicrously accessible by bus from the majority of halls), so it's nice, but not open for as long as a Sunday. Still, I massively prefer the layout and atmosphere of the Picadilly one to the Hammersmith one. Takes ages to get served on a Sunday at Hammersmith too, you can wait for 10-30 minutes at times if it's busy and the ****ers in front order complicated cocktails, and lots of them. :rant:

Electric Dreams: A great place to go if you like the music of the 80s and/or electro/new-wave/synthpop. Such as Depeche Mode, Human League, Soft Cell... :coma: Now, be advised; this is not a likely place to pull. It's mainly full of older people (late 20s to 40s), but if you go with a group of friends who appreciate the music, then you can have a great time. Drinks are reasonably priced, pretty standard for London, expect to pay about £3 a pint, £6 a double vodka, approximately. For a central London club, that is not unreasonable. Avoid the "Corky's" flavoured vodka shots; they seem good at £1 each, but they're 14% proof. Pretty crap for a shot; 10 shots of Corky's is a glass of wine. :nn:

Other tips:

"Koko", a popular indie club, will charge you £8 for a double spirit. Pre-drink heavily or just avoid the damn place.

Tiger Tiger, unless it's a Monday and you want vodka, has similar pricing strategies; double spirits are £7 something.

The Zoo Bar is a massive sausagefest almost all of the time and is ludicrously overpriced, not as bad as the 2 above but similar.

Most prices in places like Ministry are bad, but they do have some deals which can be decent. I hate the music anyway, though.

"Club Neon" nights are something to look out for, they're normally open very late, and are a massive laugh; just don't take it seriously. Drinks deals are also reasonable (£4 for 2 alcopops).

If you're not fussy, the cheapest way to get pissed in an overpriced club is almost always a whole bottle of the cheapest house wine. The price:unit ratio is, in the absence of decent drinks deals, the best. It's pretty sickening to down though.

Night buses are your friends. Your best friends. Cabs are your wallets' enemies. Find the nearest bus stop where a night bus runs to your halls before going out, so you can get home for £1 rather than £10 plus. You might need to catch 2 night buses home. Often it'll be one to Picadilly, then change to go home. Depends on what halls you're at though, obviously.

Obviously all this is subjective; if you like the generic mainstream R&B/pop/House/Rap etc clubs, then frankly you don't even need my advice. There are ****loads of clubs which play nothing but that, but it's not my scene.

Hope this helps! :top2:

Kudos for the effort of this post!

I listen to 'non-commercial' music generally, but I don't not like commercial stuff; it's not bad music, just music everybody listens to! My philosophy is: as long as it sounds good, genre and 'commercialness' don't matter at all. I even go to Tiger on student nights because it's cheap and fun, despite most of the music being average :smile:
Reply 32
RNQ
Kudos for the effort of this post!

I listen to 'non-commercial' music generally, but I don't not like commercial stuff; it's not bad music, just music everybody listens to! My philosophy is: as long as it sounds good, genre and 'commercialness' don't matter at all. I even go to Tiger on student nights because it's cheap and fun, despite most of the music being average :smile:

I don't dislike commercial music out of principle - I just hate the way the majority of it sounds. :pierre: I'm fairly stuck in the 80s with music taste, with a few branches here and there, but I still prefer the classics. I like virtually no "RnB" etc.
HCD

Do you mind if I join you on your nights of excessive drinking next year?
Reply 35
learner_dancer
Do you mind if I join you on your nights of excessive drinking next year?

Corrupting Freshers would be my pleasure. :colone:
Reply 36
HCD

I don't dislike commercial music out of principle - I just hate the way the majority of it sounds. :pierre: I'm fairly stuck in the 80s with music taste, with a few branches here and there, but I still prefer the classics. I like virtually no "RnB" etc.

I know what you mean; I've only recently been listening to non-mainstream stuff; there is a lot of crap in that too, but some absolute gems. I'm feeling the 80s/90s/synth-pop vide at the moment too, like Frankmusik.
HCD
Corrupting Freshers would be my pleasure. :colone:

I was already thinking of attempting to corrupt the teetotal Asian community, step by step, and perhaps through subterfuge- ie slipping alcohol into their green tea.

Are party-goers an actual minority?

If so I think I regret my choice of university...
Reply 38
learner_dancer
I was already thinking of attempting to corrupt the teetotal Asian community, step by step, and perhaps through subterfuge- ie slipping alcohol into their green tea.

Are party-goers an actual minority?

If so I think I regret my choice of university...

Nah, don't worry about it, squire. :top2: Come exam time (month before exams), you'll find that damn-near everyone becomes lame though. There'll be enough people to party, at any given halls. Fear ye not! Minority is hard to say, I don't want to make any sweeping generalisations... at least half of the population will go out, although most of them not regularly...
HCD
Nah, don't worry about it, squire. :top2: Come exam time (month before exams), you'll find that damn-near everyone becomes lame though. There'll be enough people to party, at any given halls. Fear ye not! Minority is hard to say, I don't want to make any sweeping generalisations... at least half of the population will go out, although most of them not regularly...

I guess my absinthe flask will be frowned upon.

Latest

Trending

Trending