The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Kinkerz
The people at your college should be sacked.

I think you mean most.

* Not lots of volunteering. Infact, you could probably get in with none.
* You don't need to play an outside sport.

i did none of this
i didnt even have very good grades
i just waltzed in and got a place that i didn't deserve
alright!
:ahee:
A Stranger in Moscow
Ouch, people who give advice on medical school applications are catty.

ooohhh yes, i remember when i was considering medicine and was asking for advice, a long time ago but christ...all the pieces of advice i got from forums (like NMM) were all conflicting it was a very confusing time, in the end I just contacted the universities i was interested in :cool:, seems the same here aswell..people saying maths is needed..some aren't...i don't think there is a 'magic forumla' to someone having the perfect a-levels to get into medicine, as long as they have the required subjects needed..ie mostly bio and chem at A2, and have a fab and unique PS (which is probably harder than doing 3 a2s with all the med applicants atm) and shine at interview then fair enough..its also about applying to the unis who fit 'in' with your grades and what you have. Like i wouldn 't apply to birmingham as they wanted 12 a*s or something stupid like that...

OP, good luck...and i mean that!

EDIT: some medic is gonna flame me now and tell me everything im saying is wrong, but let me procrastinate!

...also the idiot who said that 'you should do english as you're good at that' i was good at psychology but i'm not even gonna touch a psychology degree....
Reply 62
katmat91
I took English lang lit, Biology, Chemistry and German
Worked fine for me :smile:
Got 3 places for medicine... Now I just need to get the grades :woo:
I was the same, I didn't really enjoy maths. I preferred English :smile:

Yes, I was thinking my levels are fine and I will probably take English.:smile: Good luck with yours! You were a great help!:smile:

EDIT:
Just to clarify, I DONT want to go to Oxbridge, nor will I have the grades to get there!
Reply 63
SiaSiaSia
Well if a medicine uni had to choose between someone with AAB (bio, chem and media studies) or AAB (bio, chem and maths) I'd be quite sure they'd choose the latter :unsure:

But that situation would never, ever come about. There would always be something else to use as a differentiating factor.

In every A-level choice thread for medicine I've said the same thing, and it's true, yet nobody ever seems to take it on board. A-level subject choice isn't going to have much impact on your application unless you don't take required subjects, i.e. chemistry.
Reply 64
catwoman91
went to this prospective medical students thing in Y11 before i changed my mind to do PPE and when asked the professor said that chemistry was the most important a-level to have when applying for medicine. he then went on to say that while most people choose biology as their second science, as generally at least 2 are required, maths, and particularly physics also demonstrate academic ability, and technically more so than biology because of the nature of the subjects, ie. the memorisation aspect of biology etc.
you're right though, i don't think any uni would say they preferred physics, or that biology was actually soft, it's just the traditional perception of the subjects. everywhere i looked at just said 2 sciences, to include chemistry.

Then why is physics not a requirement at any Med School, yet Biology is at a majority? :s
Reply 65
sidewalkwhenshewalks
i did none of this
i didnt even have very good grades
i just waltzed in and got a place that i didn't deserve
alright!
:ahee:

If you're not being sarcastic -
To the person I posted that to and still didn't accept it: :u:

If you are being sarcastic -
:getmecoat:
SiaSiaSia
you can do a medicine GCSE?

:eek3:
Kinkerz
If you're not being sarcastic -

If you are being sarcastic -
:getmecoat:

not sarcastic - smugness very much called for (Y)
Reply 68
Kinkerz

I fully well accepted it :smile:
I am obviously misinformed and was stupidly passing on my own experiences.
Reply 69
SiaSiaSia
you can do a medicine GCSE?

Fail :eek3:
Reply 70
Bio, Chem, Maths, Eng Lit. < That would be a very solid choice.

However G&P is fine as a 4th.

Only ones definitely a good idea to have are Bio and Chem.

Latest

Trending

Trending