The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

A bucket of Durham Concerns

I would be really grateful if somebody could respond to this thread and put my mind at ease, or at least tell me my concerns are reality, so I can transfer universities before its too late!!

I was so happy to get an offer from Durham for combined honours through extra a few months ago. BUUUTTTT! I'm havng quite a few doubts to be honest.

1) I am a city girl. I go out four or five times a week and I know I'll have to tone this down for university anyway to study, but 'd like the option to be there. How many people head to Newcastle?

2) Rahs/cliques/whatever. So many people say that this is completely unfounded, but when I went up for the open day pretty much everybody was a Rah and were all in gilet wearing, Jack Wills wearing cliques. I already went to school with a bunch of these people, and I genuininly know that (althiough I'm sure they are lovely people) we don't match. I'm vconcerned (and of course I'm going to try and be open minded, please don't write back and say I should be more so, because I'm basically being completely honest here and want the truth about the whole situe!!) that there are few people who aren't like that at Durham, and will only be able to make about 2 or 3 friends, or, turn into a Rah. (no option!!!!)

3) St Mary's. Could somebody reassure me about this college please? Nobody Ive talked to on the sutudentroom is going, and noone ive talke dto from durham seems to be there. Whats it like? Is it a really quiet college? Will I be able to find people who like going out there, or will it be a very calm, sedate place?

Thank you for answering all my questions and please don't critisise me. I know Ive been judgmental about peopel and places, but its just my panic setting in.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ellie_flower
I would be really grateful if somebody could respond to this thread and put my mind at ease, or at least tell me my concerns are reality, so I can transfer universities before its too late!!

I was so happy to get an offer from Durham for combined honours through extra a few months ago. BUUUTTTT! I'm havng quite a few doubts to be honest.

1) I am a city girl. I go out four or five times a week and I know I'll have to tone this down for university anyway to study, but 'd like the option to be there. How many people head to Newcastle?

2) Rahs/cliques/whatever. So many people say that this is completely unfounded, but when I went up for the open day pretty much everybody was a Rah and were all in gilet wearing, Jack Wills wearing cliques. I already went to school with a bunch of these people, and I genuininly know that (althiough I'm sure they are lovely people) we don't match. I'm vconcerned (and of course I'm going to try and be open minded, please don't write back and say I should be more so, because I'm basically being completely honest here and want the truth about the whole situe!!) that there are few people who aren't like that at Durham, and will only be able to make about 2 or 3 friends, or, turn into a Rah. (no option!!!!)

3) St Mary's. Could somebody reassure me about this college please? Nobody Ive talked to on the sutudentroom is going, and noone ive talke dto from durham seems to be there. Whats it like? Is it a really quiet college? Will I be able to find people who like going out there, or will it be a very calm, sedate place?

Thank you for answering all my questions and please don't critisise me. I know Ive been judgmental about peopel and places, but its just my panic setting in.

1)If you want to find people going out every night then it'll be pretty easy so to do, especially in your first year. I know people who go to Newcastle all the time, some who go never.

2)I'm not a rah and had plenty of friends at Durham, Hopping Mad Kangaroo will now come in and go mental at the universe, but the fact is there are rah idiots in Durham but thousands and thousands of normal people too. Most of the Durham TSRers aren't rah at all and have all made bunches of friends, despite our crippling addictions to the internet. Marys isn't the rahiest college by a long shot, so you'll find that when you actually start there'll be more than enough diversity of people to keep you going.

3)Marys is a nice college but has a bit of a cack bar, the accom. can be pretty nice though. It's no more sedate than any other college, there'll be quiet people and people who want to drink 24/7.In the 150 odd freshers in your year there'll be more than one type of person, don't you think?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
1) Newcastle isn't far away but the reality is that most people are too busy to go down there that often, during the course of this year I've only been to newcastle 3 times in total, because the station is a bit far from most colleges most students can't be asked to go down to newcastle unless its for shopping. Plus the there aren't that many trains that go from Newcastle to Durham at nighttime, so going clubbing up there never actually happens. I tried it once or twice and ended up paying a fortune to get a taxi back both times, so now I don't bother with clubbing in Newcastle. The reality is that Durham is a small "city" and if your from a big city like me, the change in area can be difficult but Durham is also a beautiful place and sometimes its nice to be somewhere small.

2) The problem with Durham is that Rahs dominate the University, almost every society/college jcr etc is run by them and sometimes it does feel as though us "commoners" can never stand a chance. Some people would disagree with this but they're usually science/maths students and I've noticed there are fewer rahs in those departments, but since your doing combined honours (pressumably in arts/social sciences) there is a good chance that you'll be surrounded by rah-ish, cliquey groups. however, I've found that there are loads of nice rahs, and its actually quite interesting to observe their culture, so you do get used to them. I just don't like the way they dominate the university.

3) Mary's college looks nice on the outside but the bar is horrible, and most of the people i've met from there are really weird/bitchy. Generally I haven't had good experiences with Marys people, but perhaps I've been unlucky.

Overally I've enjoyed my time at Durham, but the uni isn't as great as people make it out to be. If your gonna chose Durham then be prepared to work independently (the teaching in some arts/ social soc departments is abismal) and the level of support that the uni offers to people in "tough" situations is IMO appauling. But I guess everyone's experiences are very different; some people love Durham and won't say a bad word about it, but in my experience it definately has its ups and downs.
Reply 3
V87
2) The problem with Durham is that Rahs dominate the University, almost every society/college jcr etc is run by them and sometimes it does feel as though us "commoners" can never stand a chance. Some people would disagree with this but they're usually science/maths students and I've noticed there are fewer rahs in those departments, but since your doing combined honours (pressumably in arts/social sciences) there is a good chance that you'll be surrounded by rah-ish, cliquey groups. however, I've found that there are loads of nice rahs, and its actually quite interesting to observe their culture, so you do get used to them. I just don't like the way they dominate the university.

3) Mary's college looks nice on the outside but the bar is horrible, and most of the people i've met from there are really weird/bitchy. Generally I haven't had good experiences with Marys people, but perhaps I've been unlucky.

Overally I've enjoyed my time at Durham, but the uni isn't as great as people make it out to be. If your gonna chose Durham then be prepared to work independently (the teaching in some arts/ social soc departments is abismal) and the level of support that the uni offers to people in "tough" situations is IMO appauling. But I guess everyone's experiences are very different; some people love Durham and won't say a bad word about it, but in my experience it definitely has its ups and downs.

2) I've never noticed rahs running the mildert JCR or any of the societies I was in really. I think that, naturally JCRs tend to be run by people who are very outgoing and sociable, not sure the extent to which this confluences with rahs. I think a lot of people are 'contextual idiots' which is a term I've made up for people who become idiots in aparticular context. A lot of Durham rahish types are like this, the prime example being someone who was on my course in Durham and I never exchange two words with because she was a massive bitch. When we ended up on the same postgrad, I though 'oh ****' but she actually turned out to be lovely and friendly once removed from the rah-y atmosphere of geog/hild bede.
3)What on earth is wrong with independent work? Also, the university and dept were never anything but lovely to me and anyone I know who's been in a tough situation.

Durham has its ups and downs sure, but so does every uni. I'm not sure you're giving it its due.
arkbar
What on earth is wrong with independent work?

Seriously. It's university, ffs, they're not going to walk you through everything.

Anyway.

1) I honestly don't know many people who go into Newcastle for nights out, but you don't really need to. Durham is small but I know lots of people who do go out three or four nights a week and never seem to get bored of it.

2) Yeah, there are a lot of rahs, but they are certainly not a dominating force at the university. You certainly won't have to turn into one to fit in! And as Arkbar says, many of them are quite nice once separated from the Jack Wills-wearing horde.

3) Don't know much about Mary's, but I wandered around inside it once and it was really gorgeous. I doubt it's quieter than any other college.
Reply 5
generic hybrid
Seriously. It's university, ffs, they're not going to walk you through everything.

Anyway.

1) I honestly don't know many people who go into Newcastle for nights out, but you don't really need to. Durham is small but I know lots of people who do go out three or four nights a week and never seem to get bored of it.

2) Yeah, there are a lot of rahs, but they are certainly not a dominating force at the university. You certainly won't have to turn into one to fit in! And as Arkbar says, many of them are quite nice once separated from the Jack Wills-wearing horde.

3) Don't know much about Mary's, but I wandered around inside it once and it was really gorgeous. I doubt it's quieter than any other college.

Your sig must have taken you forever to make.. :ninja:
Draconis
Your sig must have taken you forever to make.. :ninja:

http://www.tektek.org/color/ :top:
Reply 7

Awesome :thumbsup:
Might try that..
Reply 8
There are masses of RAH characters, but they tend to cluster... and so are only found in certain habitats, often lounging around wasting space, that are easily avoidable. If you do the right clubs and whatnot, and are patient in the least, you will find some like-minded characters who have more than 2 dimensions.

It is probably going to be a very different form of going out, but people from the city I have known seem to enjoy the novelty form of nights out in Durham. And Newcastle is nearby for the occassional big one.
Reply 9
This sounds abit arsey and I don't intend it to but I'll say it because I think it's a question worth asking: Do you really think you're the first "city girl" to come to Durham? :biggrin:
I never really understand why people come on TSR and make posts like OMG WHER AM I GUNNA GO OUT?>!?! WHERE? COS EVERYONE IN DURHAM JUST SITS IN AND PLAYS WARHAMMER, RIGHT? In reality, there are so many Londoners in Durham who have a perfectly good time. Yeah, the nightlife is not exactly cosmopolitan but if it was as bad as people suggest, nobody would come here. Or stay. There's plenty to do. You could go out in Durham every night of the week and end up in a different place, in theory.
Reply 10
Also, everyone seems to wear Jack Wills. I admit, I wear Jack Wills myself. I don't consider myself the Jack Wills type though. Some of the RAHs I have met are actually the nicest. And embrace the backcombed hair. Big hair is hot.

As for Mary's - I only know two people from Mary's and they are both lovely. One is far more hardcore than the other. Chances are, you'll make friends in Mary's and plenty of them. If there is nobody you really take to - don't fret. There is a whoooole uni of people who could be your next best chum.

Basically, don't overthink the whole thing. Come with the intention of having a good time and making friends and I am sure you will.
ellie_flower

what course did you get into for extra? is extra still open?
im at the by far rah-est college and im completely common and fit in just fine.
Reply 13
I'm pretty much a total commoner as well. I think alot of the rich kids find it cute and anthropological.
Stacy_T
I'm pretty much a total commoner as well. I think alot of the rich kids find it cute and anthropological.

college?
Reply 15
Grey. Which is, admittedly, probably the least Rah college.
Reply 16
V87

I've found that there are loads of nice rahs, and its actually quite interesting to observe their culture, so you do get used to them.

I love how everyone talks about rahs like they're a kind of different species to be studied yet avoided.

:biggrin:
I know my college had a good bar, a decent number of locals, and a (seemingly) rah-free open day. You chose the wrong college by the looks of it. :wink:
This might sounds exceeingly stupid, and I have a rough idea but what exactly is a RAH?
Sartre_1337
This might sounds exceeingly stupid, and I have a rough idea but what exactly is a RAH?

A rather posh, sheltered person with big hair and an exclusively Jack Wills wardrobe. Unironically likes Klute. Possibly plays polo.

Latest