The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Margerie Dawes
medicine at cambridge

What's medicine at Cambridge like, more specifically at Emmanuel and Gonville and Caius. Someone I know who does maths reakons they have to work their arses off (moreso than their contempories) and hardly ever get the time to go out.

It depends how well you want to do really. Most colleges don't differ much and i can only speak from experience of Vet Med at Girton but the 2 are comparable. If you want to get a pass i wouldn't say that you have to work that hard, it is possible without a great deal of effort but if you want a first then you do have to work hard. It also depends if you do anything else, if you do music or something then that takes time out of free time. The way i see it though, medicine anywhere is going to be a difficult subject, that's the way it is.

Dan
Reply 2
Caius do have to work their arses off; they get set a ridiculous number of essays compared with us. Don't know about Emma.
Reply 3
only in the first year, and it's really not that ridiculous, about 3 a week on average. can fluctuate though, i must admit.

caius has very good supervisors, and thus very good supervisions - though i wouldn't know about other colleges, i must admit, and thus cannot compare.

personal ranking of "hardcore-ness" of medics:

1. caius and christ's (emma and trinity possibly? i don't know them that well...)
2. downing and emma and trinity
3. the others are all about equal... depends on individuals and each year's intake...

basically, those 5 colleges will stand out as having medics that tend to work harder and thus know more than their peers. whether this phenomenon is a consequence of college teaching/atmosphere or simply due to the individual, i have no idea. i suspect it's a combination of both.

as for going out, i can tell you for certain that at caius, you WILL have time to go out if you wish, without affecting your grades. we're not crazy people who lock ourselves in the library all year long... though i've heard reports from others that at the current moment the library is somewhat... overpopulated :redface:
Caius medics.....as a general rule....are expected to reach great heights....there were 23-24 i think last year...and i think about 20 got firsts....the same is expected of this years medics. I know a few of them...and they do have to work very hard...but it is manageable...many have time to do other things like rowing which also takes up time.

Like someone else said...a lot of colleges are similar...including caius...just be aware that you'll probably be expected to do very well!!!
Zebedee Funk
Caius medics.....as a general rule....are expected to reach great heights....there were 23-24 i think last year...and i think about 20 got firsts....the same is expected of this years medics. I know a few of them...and they do have to work very hard...but it is manageable...many have time to do other things like rowing which also takes up time.

Like someone else said...a lot of colleges are similar...including caius...just be aware that you'll probably be expected to do very well!!!

they certainly didnt do that well when i was there.
Emma is the college of real high fliers.

Caius does have good supervisors tho. ive noticed that here at KCL they have dozens of copies of Roger Carpenters neurophysiolgy text books.
Reply 6
foolfarian
they certainly didnt do that well when i was there.
Emma is the college of real high fliers.

Caius does have good supervisors tho. ive noticed that here at KCL they have dozens of copies of Roger Carpenters neurophysiolgy text books.

emma certainly produces many students in the top 10 every year. it does vary from year to year, and from generation to generation though. (in this case, by "generation", i mean students admitted by a particular set of admissions tutors/fellows/supervisors - you know what i mean)

for example, last year, medics who came 2nd and 3rd both came from trinity. (though admittedly person who came first was apparently from emma, according to rumours... :rolleyes: )

carpenter's book is a very good text for understanding the basics of neuro, but as many of the lecturers say, it is lacking somewhat in detail. sadly, all our lecturers seem to think that kandel & schwartz is what everyone should be memorizing... :eek:

caius medics ARE expected to do well, but perhaps not as well as zebedee funk says. last year we had 23 medics and 3 vets, with a total of 11 firsts (10 medics and a vet). within that group, we also have 8 people who have tried rowing at some point or other (of which 1 is an M1 regular, and the other a W1 regular... :eek: )
Reply 7
Basically, you'll be expected to do well and you'll be with some scarily talented people to boot. Same most places in Cambridge really but it may well be true that Caius and Emma are high-flyers when it comes to accademic performance and they might expect you to do a bit better. That said, the medics and vet (just to give us a mention) still have nights out and there's no reason why you can't have some time off. If you work 24/7 for the entire year, people will worry and you'll probably go mad. :mad:

Dan
Reply 8
khl31

caius medics ARE expected to do well, but perhaps not as well as zebedee funk says. last year we had 23 medics and 3 vets, with a total of 11 firsts (10 medics and a vet). within that group, we also have 8 people who have tried rowing at some point or other (of which 1 is an M1 regular, and the other a W1 regular... :eek: )

But you also had a reasonable number of people who failed one or more parts of the 2nd MB, if I'm not much mistaken. Only two colleges had a 100% pass rate last year :wink:
Reply 9
Helenia
But you also had a reasonable number of people who failed one or more parts of the 2nd MB, if I'm not much mistaken. Only two colleges had a 100% pass rate last year :wink:

shhhh... :p:
Reply 10
khl31
shhhh... :p:

Yeah, it ain't gonna last, trust me on that one :bawling:
khl31

Whoops..my bad....my medic friend must've been exaggerating slightly!!! :redface:
Reply 12
I Hate Neuropharm... Raaarrrrrrr...
Reply 13
I know 3 people at Caius. One hates it, one is ambivalent, the other loves it. Don't know anything about Emma apart from apparently there's an interviewer who asks difficult questions.
an interviewer who asks DIFFICULT questions. Gosh, wanna stay clear of that place then!
Reply 15
emma is an awesome college to do medicine at. we have one of the largest medic intakes (19 in my year) which is really cool for making friends and getting people to help you out with work. for the last few years, we've been ranked academically as top or second best for medicine out of all the colleges, and there are a few good reasons for that. the first is, emma lets you have a life, as well as doing work, and happy medics generally make better medics. you do as much work as you want, and we have all the facilities you could possibly need to come top in the year, if that's what you want (special medical room for emma medics only, with radiographs, skeletons, models, etc) and awesome supervisors. secondly, we are less than 2 minutes walk from all medical lectures and dissection, so emma medics are technically more likely to go to lectures. tho once again, whether you do or not remains up to you. there is a very friendly, non-competitive atmosphere amongst the emma medics, and although it sounds incredibly cheesy we all work as a team - we're not encouraged to compete against each other at all. no one is required to get a first, and the college places a huge ethos on education in a broad sense, not just for the sake of results.

plus we have the best bar in cambridge.

hope this helps.
Reply 16
as for medicine at cambridge in general, it is a heavily scientically based subject; so much so that our course is called "Medical Sciences", not "Medicine". I personally like it because it is a very no-nonsense approach to learning the subject, and allows you to focus on the science before confusing you with clinical practice. It over-qualifies you for every branch of medicine, and Cambridge graduates of medicine are well-respected in London and Oxford clinical schools for their deep scientific knowledge. Also, we take a year longer to complete our course as in the third year we take something called an "intercalated BSc", which is basically a year of learning any subject we choose, not even necessarily scientific!

However, if you don't really like science that much, then the Cambridge course is most definitely not for you. It can be very difficult relating the Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry we learn in the first year to any concpet of becoming a doctor. There is very little clinical exposure compared to most other medical schools.
spring22
as for medicine at cambridge in general, it is a heavily scientically based subject; so much so that our course is called "Medical Sciences", not "Medicine". I personally like it because it is a very no-nonsense approach to learning the subject, and allows you to focus on the science before confusing you with clinical practice. It over-qualifies you for every branch of medicine, and Cambridge graduates of medicine are well-respected in London and Oxford clinical schools for their deep scientific knowledge. Also, we take a year longer to complete our course as in the third year we take something called an "intercalated BSc", which is basically a year of learning any subject we choose, not even necessarily scientific!

However, if you don't really like science that much, then the Cambridge course is most definitely not for you. It can be very difficult relating the Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry we learn in the first year to any concpet of becoming a doctor. There is very little clinical exposure compared to most other medical schools.

actually thats a little bit of a myth. the 'clinical' contact as you call it that other places have but we dont is utterly useless. Every week these chomps go to GPs during 1st/2nd year, and yet have no better history taking, communication, knowledge, even relating to patients, than us cam people who merely had PfPA-D.
Reply 18
according to my friend, all the medics are fit. always an important factor when choosing a subject and college.
Reply 19
Lol! Well, there are the ugly ones, but there are certainly a fair number of good-looking guys out there. I was talking to a really fit medic the other day. He went to St John's.

Latest

Trending

Trending