The Student Room Group

No more diploma!!! - end of an era

There have been loads of rumours circulating about when they're phasing out the diploma, just had a browse and it turns out nursing will be JUST a degree subject by 2015, nottingham university (if anyone is considering it) will have its LAST intake for nursing diploma january 2011, and will be purely degree from september 2011. Its worth if you're considering nursing in 2011+ to consult your universities NOW when they plan to stop doing the diploma, purely because the two courses have different entry requirements

tbh im not so sure how i feel about no more diploma, it seems like i'm one of the last people be on it now, hopefully im planning to graduate with a bsc (if all goes well in these exams lol!) but to be on the diploma scheme is a shame, its opened a lot of opportunities for many people without a-levels, such as mature students, anyone have any info on how they're going to deal with the finance aspect of the degree also? Cause it has been a major perk to the diploma

Im kinda sad, but at the same time, i do understand nursing is very much academic aswell as a pratical issue, so maybe this is a step forward for us, or has project 2000 ruined all student nurses for life! lol
Reply 2
It's no different from a number of other professions that used to be diploma only.

It's been around as solid fact for some time now, but from what I understand details still need sorting (such as bursary level).
Reply 3
Well, plenty of other professions don't have that financial 'benefit' that the diploma route offers. Radiography, OT, physio, etc... I doubt the bursary folk will do anything special just because the diploma's going; it's not as though the nursing degree students would suddenly and exclusively get more is it? And I doubt all degree students will get significantly more.
suek
Well, plenty of other professions don't have that financial 'benefit' that the diploma route offers. Radiography, OT, physio, etc... I doubt the bursary folk will do anything special just because the diploma's going; it's not as though the nursing degree students would suddenly and exclusively get more is it? And I doubt all degree students will get significantly more.

other than nursing degree courses no longer being commissioned by the WDC and the Diploma which has now become a degree courses continuing as is ?
Reply 5
http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Managingyourorganisation/Humanresourcesandtraining/DH_097475 (worth the year after this' freshers keeping an eye on).
Hey, I'm in year 12 atm, going to apply this year for September 2010 entry. Would much prefer to do the diploma due to financial reasons but is this going to cause a problem when I qualify? I don't want to do the diploma just for the extra money if it's going to be much harder finding a job.

Do many unis do the thing where you can do the diploma in yr 1 and 2, then change to the degree in the 3rd year?

Thanks!
Reply 7
strawberry_princess
Hey, I'm in year 12 atm, going to apply this year for September 2010 entry. Would much prefer to do the diploma due to financial reasons but is this going to cause a problem when I qualify? I don't want to do the diploma just for the extra money if it's going to be much harder finding a job.

Do many unis do the thing where you can do the diploma in yr 1 and 2, then change to the degree in the 3rd year?

Thanks!

most universitys will, i dont think it'll cause much of an issue, but if you wanted to work your way up a degree is now needed and will save you taking time out of your training really
I was told at my interview in Preston that this year (2009) is the last intake for the diploma, and after that there'll be gradual process of topping up all nurses who don't have a degree, but he said that will probably take around 20 years and diploma students shouldn't be at too much of a disadvantage against those with degrees when getting a job. I'm planning on switching to the degree in third year anyway.
Reply 9
MilitantSheep
I was told at my interview in Preston that this year (2009) is the last intake for the diploma, and after that there'll be gradual process of topping up all nurses who don't have a degree, but he said that will probably take around 20 years and diploma students shouldn't be at too much of a disadvantage against those with degrees when getting a job. I'm planning on switching to the degree in third year anyway.

all universities are getting rid of the diploma at different times, ALL universities in the uk should NOT have the diploma by 2015.

I personally think, it will affect those who graduate with the diploma in the next 3 years- where 10years down their career they're going to find it hard

Latest