The Student Room Group

Integration

Ok here's something I presume is pretty easy, but I struggle. How would you integrate things like:

1+x21x \frac{1+x^2}{1-x}

or

1+x(x2)(k1) \frac{1+x}{(x^2)(k-1)} with k constant

I don't need anyone to actually type out the whole method, just need to know what methods to use. I know they have arctan(x)'s in them, but I have no idea why :/

try again mate, lol
Reply 2
hmm?
dw, it came up with error, or somthing with your latex
Reply 4
First one - when dealing with algebraic fractions, you need to consider the degree of the numerator and denominator (the degree is the highest power of x). If the degree of the numerator is greater than or equal to the denominator's, then you need to carry out long division on it first. In your case, the degree of the numerator is 2 and denominator 1, and since 2 >= 1, divide it through.

Second one - how would you integrate (1 + x)/x^2?
Reply 5
I would find the integral of 1x2+xx2 \frac{1}{x^2} + \frac{x}{x^2} ?
Reply 6
Yep, exactly :smile:.

And f(x)k dx=1kf(x) dx\int \frac{f(x)}{k}\ \mathrm{d}x = \frac{1}{k} \int f(x)\ \mathrm{d}x for any constant k (aside from k = 0 I guess).
Swayum
First one - when dealing with algebraic fractions, you need to consider the degree of the numerator and denominator (the degree is the highest power of x). If the degree of the numerator is greater than or equal to the denominator's, then you need to carry out long division on it first. In your case, the degree of the numerator is 2 and denominator 1, and since 2 >= 1, divide it through.

Second one - how would you integrate (1 + x)/x^2?

clue: how could you manipulate it so that you have "(something)/x^2 + (something else)/x^2" to make it easier?
Reply 8
ohhh...hehe whoops, waaay overcomplicated it :P Thanks ^.^
Reply 9
c@luvr
Ok here's something I presume is pretty easy, but I struggle. How would you integrate things like:

1+x21x \frac{1+x^2}{1-x}

Seeing as I'm scared of long division (because I make silly errors doing it) I would instead add -x+x in the numerator, to give: 1x+x+x21x=1+x(x+1)1x\frac{1-x+x+x^2}{1-x}=1+\frac{x(x+1)}{1-x} (and now again...)

Spoiler

Reply 10
Ohh ok thanks i'll try that :smile:
Reply 11
I tried doing the long division thing and got the thing on top to be x-1 with remainder 2...I'm not sure how that helps me tho :P
c@luvr
I tried doing the long division thing and got the thing on top to be x-1 with remainder 2...I'm not sure how that helps me tho :P

So now your integral becomes:

x1+2x+1  dx\displaystyle\int x-1+\frac{2}{x+1}\;dx

Can you do that?
Reply 13
oooooooooooooooooooooh ok :smile: ty ^^

Latest