The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Great idea!! I was gonna do this for revision, and it'll be easier if everybody contributes. Maybe we could also put why the quote is useful, or what theme it refers to so that we can memorise ones for particular essay type titles (eg survival/historical context/identity or something like that?)

I'll put in the ones I said in the other thread then :p:

'Doubled we walk' - from when Offred is going shopping with Offred. Essay possibilities: double meaning/imagery/identity/dystopia.

I might come back and go into that deeper, or just link what Charlottie said in the other thread as that was a great explanation.
"Palimpsest" - a Greek word that means "again scraped"; represents how Offred's life in the "time before" has been scraped away and replaced with this new life.

Moira talks about "crotch rot" where as Aunt Lydia merely refers to it as "unhygenic"; this illustrates the disparity between a figurehead of the old liberal society and a representative of Gilead. This is Atwood using juxtaposition.

"Freedom from and freedom to" Important for context, shows how athings can be twisted; which refers to the 80's right-wing political movement that wanted to reverse the gains that women had experienced in the 60's & 70's. Indeed, feminists campaigned for a 'women's culture' and they get a "woman's culture" in Gilead.
Reply 3
md_red_uk
"Freedom from and freedom to" Important for context, shows how athings can be twisted; which refers to the 80's right-wing political movement that wanted to reverse the gains that women had experienced in the 60's & 70's. Indeed, feminists campaigned for a 'women's culture' and they get a "woman's culture" in Gilead.

Im still really confused bout that quote..i feel sooo stupid!! :/

other quotes :

"you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs"-highlights the Commander's view on the regime-shows how he cannot empaphise with Offred as a result of their different roles in the social hierarchy

"Are there any questions?" (historical notes)-shows how Attwood is humouring herself-it is ironic because there are obviusly mnay many questions that haven't been answered in the tale-represents the post modernist nature of the tale

"for each says the slogan, according to her ability to each according to his needs"-shows how the regime has subverted famous sayings to meet their needs

"I made that up. It didn't happen that way"- questions the reliability of the narrator
"freedom from" - in Gilead the handmaids do not fear rape (obviously the commander is to an extent) mugging, physical attacks, burglary and all those sorts of crimes.

However, previously many had "freedom to" act how they wanted, the problem was, they could act in a criminal manner.

But Gandhi said "freedom is not worth having unless one has the freedom to make mistakes"

Latest

Trending

Trending