The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Chose Q2, wrote about 4 1/2 pages but didn't put enough detail in and was a bit vague really, haven't felt any of my exams this summer have gone well :frown:
The questions were different to what they've asked since they changed the way the exam worked in 2007, which was scary. But then I looked more closely at the first question, which was about political parties but sneakily disguised as a turning point question. I'd revised changes to political parties, so it was okay in the end:p:! That was probably my best exam so far (and I've only got one left!).

I answered the turning point question, and said 1884-5 were important, but not the turning point. I said there was no definate turning point because lots of acts contributed to the changes to parties, but the most significant effects came from the 1867 Reform Act.

What did everyone else do? It was quite a nice exam in all, I thought. :biggrin:
Reply 3
i did question 2 wrote 8 pages main points i covered from memory were:

For extension of franchise being main motivation in change in electoral system

Against extension of franchise...

Seat redistribution being key

Changing ideology of the elite through the period

Covered all acts from 1832-1928
InfernoUk
i did question 2 wrote 8 pages

8 pages?! :eek3:
Nice one! I wrote 6 excluding the clumsy plan at the beginning, and I was so worried I wasn't going to finish in time.

Grr, need some people who did question 1 to come here! :rolleyes:
Reply 5
yeah i saw question 1 and though omg cos it was the one i least wanted to come up then i didnt understand 2 until i really looked at it, then i though yer it was ok. Basically when you do 4 points and cover every act for each point and its cause, motivation and impact you end up with 8 pages...and a very painful hand
Reply 6
InfernoUk
i did question 2 wrote 8 pages main points i covered from memory were:

For extension of franchise being main motivation in change in electoral system

Against extension of franchise...

Seat redistribution being key

Changing ideology of the elite through the period

Covered all acts from 1832-1928

Sounds like you did a good job. I look at what you wrote and I mentioned hardly any of that, I ended up repeating a few times that because the franchise was extended it meant that the system became more represented, but for some reason I didn't even mention the redistribution of seats :frown:
Hehe. Yup, painful hands. Good for the soul. My handwriting got progressively worse as the exam went on -- I hope the examiner can read it!!

It was kind of the same for me... I looked at question 1, saw "turning point" and didn't want to do it. But then I saw question 2, which was about democracy and I hadn't prepared for that very much! I started planning for q2 but then reread q1 properly and saw it was on changes to political parties.

Not sure if the causation for the acts would be so important unless they specifically ask for you to write about it? I didn't cover the causes in my answer...
Reply 8
I finished the booklet - but in exams my writing gets MASSIVE without about 4 words to a line so I'm not sure I'm not sure how much I actually wrote.
Did question 2. Basically said that extenstion of the franchise was 'significant' but must be considered within the context of other factors, because on its own it didn't create a more representative system

The other factors I mentioned were:
- redistribution of seats
- decline of aristocracy and corresponding rise of the middle classes and increasing importance or the working classes
- political party organisation - including growth of labour party
- Reduced cost of political participation (including payment of MPs)
- End of corruption and intimidation
- Limiting of plural voting.
- changing attitudes towards democracy

I think I got in all the main points but I had to rush the end. I wrote it chonologically and assessed the importance of the relevant factors in terms of each reform act.
James.90
Sounds like you did a good job. I look at what you wrote and I mentioned hardly any of that, I ended up repeating a few times that because the franchise was extended it meant that the system became more represented, but for some reason I didn't even mention the redistribution of seats :frown:

You don't need to mention every factor, so don't worry! As long as you discussed how different factors contributed to an increase in democracy I think you'll be okay.
Reply 10
I did extension of franchise was the most important.

Other factors were:

-Extra Parliamentary Pressure
-Party Advantage
-Distribution of seats
-other facts such as secret ballot act and corrupt practises act stopped deference.
santeria
I finished the booklet - but in exams my writing gets MASSIVE without about 4 words to a line so I'm not sure I'm not sure how much I actually wrote.
Did question 2. Basically said that extenstion of the franchise was 'significant' but must be considered within the context of other factors, because on its own it didn't create a more representative system

- decline of aristocracy and corresponding rise of the middle classes and increasing importance or the working classes

I think I got in all the main points but I had to rush the end. I wrote it chonologically and assessed the importance of the relevant factors in terms of each reform act.

Wow, that's a lot of factors. In 60 minutes, a plan and 7 factors... like, 8 minutes per factor? Still, looks great. I'm glad I picked question 1, as I wouldn't have thought of all those ideas.

Looks like you'll be getting your A with that :smile:
Reply 12
santeria

yeah i got redistribution, decline of aristocracy, end of corruption, plural voting came under corruption in mine, attitudes in included in demise of aristocracy. Only thing you mentioned that i didnt atall was party organisation, though i do think i mentioned it ion a few lines somewhere. Also i mentioned education of working classes increased and they were more aware of politics through newlatters etc
Reply 13
Explosive Muffin
Wow, that's a lot of factors. In 60 minutes, a plan and 7 factors... like, 8 minutes per factor? Still, looks great. I'm glad I picked question 1, as I wouldn't have thought of all those ideas.

Looks like you'll be getting your A with that :smile:

Well because I did it chronologically I did a couple of paragraphs on each act focusing on the relative importance of the extended franchise and bringing in any relative factors - only writing a couple of sentences on each. So it wasn't really indepth about all those things. And it was definately rushed at the end, conclusion was pathetic! I hope I get an A but its difficult to tell - there is a boy who got in to Oxford in my year who got an E in the unit 4 exam in january. Obviously he's really clever and thought the exam went well so It just makes me really paranoid! I definately find History my hardest A level so hopefully I did ok :smile: 1 mark over 480 will do me!
Reply 14
InfernoUk
yeah i got redistribution, decline of aristocracy, end of corruption, plural voting came under corruption in mine, attitudes in included in demise of aristocracy. Only thing you mentioned that i didnt atall was party organisation, though i do think i mentioned it ion a few lines somewhere. Also i mentioned education of working classes increased and they were more aware of politics through newlatters etc

Sounds good. I just kept saying how you can't really have a representative democracy if you don't have a properly organised party system which broadly represents the views of voters. May have been a bit of a redundant point though. I wrote a tiny bit about that education stuff - how it changed the attitudes of the elites, led to a rise in working class political awareness and therefore the rise of the Labour Party.
Reply 15
well a C is just basically answering the question and covering 3 points the in chronology, if you did that for numerous factors itll be an easy A
Reply 16
santeria
Sounds good. I just kept saying how you can't really have a representative democracy if you don't have a properly organised party system which broadly represents the views of voters. May have been a bit of a redundant point though. I wrote a tiny bit about that education stuff - how it changed the attitudes of the elites, led to a rise in working class political awareness and therefore the rise of the Labour Party.

i said decline in aristocracy ws key, i mentioned 1884-5 as a turning point as when they saw liberal gain from reform they all wanted in and in 1918 and 1928 their enfranchisment of women made electorate 53% bigger showing drastic change in democracy from 1832
Explosive Muffin
The questions were different to what they've asked since they changed the way the exam worked in 2007, which was scary. But then I looked more closely at the first question, which was about political parties but sneakily disguised as a turning point question. I'd revised changes to political parties, so it was okay in the end! That was probably my best exam so far (and I've only got one left!).

I answered the turning point question, and said 1884-5 were important, but not the turning point. I said there was no definate turning point because lots of acts contributed to the changes to parties, but the most significant effects came from the 1867 Reform Act.

What did everyone else do? It was quite a nice exam in all, I thought. :biggrin:

Exactly how I did, dicused 1884-85 and said how it was significant bu their were other turning points and went throught other reform acts. I also added other facotrs like decline of the aristocracy and the role of indivudals etc..
Reply 18
g_star_raw_1989
Exactly how I did, dicused 1884-85 and said how it was significant bu their were other turning points and went throught other reform acts. I also added other facotrs like decline of the aristocracy and the role of indivudals etc..

i just saw it was narrowed down to 1884-5 stupidly not thinking i could do other factors and instantly eliminated it as a possibility lol, you want a political parties one? so im guessing you did well then
I did'nt like the look of 2 as it asked about how representatve the system got meaning you had to recall how distributin changed over time, how many w/c and m/c got the franchise comapred to the population.

My teacher said after the majority who went for 2 missed the trick by being put off by parties, which is arguably the easier question.

Latest