The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Sarky
If you are sure you aren't going to reapply for medicine, then Aston is a great choice.

Going for a university just for the name is silly, especially with a vocational course like pharmacy. It's not like UCL even do pharmacy. It's a good stable career option, although as you have noticed you do miss out on some of the clinical stuff.

It's easy to say just have another go, but it can be hard to put your life on hold for x amount of years, and making a decision (whatever that may be) can be a really helpful and positive step.

Good luck whatever you do.

Thanks a lot for the support :smile: It is hard putting your life on hold just for something that may never happen, and 18 year olds these days I think need to have a more open mind ... back in sixth form, every 3rd person wanted to go for medicine as thats all they knew and it just frustrated me.

Anyway, I will go for Aston, dreading it now but who knows I might even like it a lot more than I think?

P.S your sig is genius :P
Reply 21
yosrush
People aren't really listening... are they?

You've said that you've given up on medicine - fair enough. It's not like there's a 'doctor gene' in which not doing medicine would make you unhappy for the rest of your life. :rolleyes:

Doing pharmacy in any university is a lot better than biomed in UCL in terms of job prospects. You've got to go into your course with the career in mind, not the degree. Pharmacy's not a walk in the park, you'll have to put in the effort to pass.

As far as I'm aware there are 3 main paths you can take after graduation (and after pre-reg, of course); work full time in a pharmacy, work locum (go to pharmacies as a temp staff for between a day to a few months, pay is better but it's harder to manage and you may be sent to some dodgy areas) or work as a hospital pharmacist (you'll have to deal with hospital ethics, pay is lower initially but I guess it might be more interesting). I think you can also work in research/dev for pharmaceutical companies, but you've already expressed your thoughts on that.

Good advice, thanks very much :smile: My friends have been saying 'go for UCL, you could use your degree and go into investment banking and become a high flyer in the city ...' but thats a bit unrealistic i think, with the recession, and purely on the basis i know nothing about anything business related. Tempting though.

Are you doing pharmacy at the moment?
Hope everything is going well for you :smile:
Reply 22
Haha finally changed my sig!
Reply 23
lil_dreamer90
Good advice, thanks very much :smile: My friends have been saying 'go for UCL, you could use your degree and go into investment banking and become a high flyer in the city ...' but thats a bit unrealistic i think, with the recession, and purely on the basis i know nothing about anything business related. Tempting though.

Not myself, but my brother's studying it. It's not to be sniffed at! Good luck with it. :wink:
lil_dreamer90

Bu can't you apply for another course (even pharmacy) at UCL or some other university? I mean, with AAA it just seems a bit... wasteful to go to a course which requires BBB! Why would you need to work so hard at A level then, and waste 1 year of your life doing a GAP year?

Its just my personal opinion, but with AAA you can choose from a much wider variety of universities, why settle for something less? I am not deliberately slating aston, but fact is it is not as good as ucl or imperial and the likes; i dunno... i guess i am just quite frustrated for you because you have AAA and are not fully using it - i feel you are wasting a lot of your hard work that you put in during your A levels :frown:
Reply 25
billykwok
Bu can't you apply for another course (even pharmacy) at UCL or some other university? I mean, with AAA it just seems a bit... wasteful to go to a course which requires BBB! Why would you need to work so hard at A level then, and waste 1 year of your life doing a GAP year?

Its just my personal opinion, but with AAA you can choose from a much wider variety of universities, why settle for something less? I am not deliberately slating aston, but fact is it is not as good as ucl or imperial and the likes; i dunno... i guess i am just quite frustrated for you because you have AAA and are not fully using it - i feel you are wasting a lot of your hard work that you put in during your A levels :frown:

I know, trust me im frustrated and dissapointed too- i want to study at a university from the likes of UCL or imperial but they dont pharmacy unfortunatley... thats why i created this thread- i just wanted to know peoples opinions of going for Aston and going for pharmacy when I have the grades for other things. Aston is the only place left with spaces for pharmacy. Well Bath has some too, but i didnt like it there very much.

You say apply for some other uni or course but I cant think of anything else asides from pharmacy or optometry that would give me a place (this late!) for THIS year with my PS being geared towards medicine.. Its all very well doing biomchemistry at Imperial, but im just wondering what it would get you afterwards apart from lab work? any ideas anyone?

Thanks for your opinion :smile:
lil_dreamer90
Thanks a lot for the support :smile: It is hard putting your life on hold just for something that may never happen, and 18 year olds these days I think need to have a more open mind ... back in sixth form, every 3rd person wanted to go for medicine as thats all they knew and it just frustrated me.

Anyway, I will go for Aston, dreading it now but who knows I might even like it a lot more than I think?

P.S your sig is genius :P
If you're dreading it, then I think you're making a big mistake.

Here's the way I see your situation. You've got the grades, amazing grades too might I add, so you're in a position where you just need to get an interview, nail the interview and obtain satisfactory health checks...etc. I think it shows real dedication to put your life on hold, as such, for something that you really want to do. Don't settle for something less. It's certainly not ideal but I personally think it will reflect well if you can put it across effectively in your personal statement.

I can't recall which medical schools you applied to but I think you chose to apply to King's and Soton? I don't think any reapplicant should consider applying to King's. Should you choose to reapply again, be tactical with your choices.

I really don't think you should give up on this.
Reply 27
!MEna
If you're dreading it, then I think you're making a big mistake.

Here's the way I see your situation. You've got the grades, amazing grades too might I add, so you're in a position where you just need to get an interview, nail the interview and obtain satisfactory health checks...etc. I think it shows real dedication to put your life on hold, as such, for something that you really want to do. Don't settle for something less. It's certainly not ideal but I personally think it will reflect well if you can put it across effectively in your personal statement.

I can't recall which medical schools you applied to but I think you chose to apply to King's and Soton? I don't think any reapplicant should consider applying to King's. Should you choose to reapply again, be tactical with your choices.

I really don't think you should give up on this.

I realise now that puting Kings and Soton was a BIG mistake :s-smilie:
Its not just me who has the grades though, almost everyone is predicted or has AAA and have better GCSES too. I only got 2A*s and 6A's 2B's.
I might reapply again but in my first year of uni.. Its becoming more difficult to keep living at home with no proper job (sorry to rant but ive applied for 21 HCA posts, and got nothing! they say i dont have an NVQ and too young and the recession means twice the no of applicants!)
Pharmacy from what ive seen, is a profession, is stable and will provide you with an OK income.. I guess thats all you need right?

Thank you for your opinion, I do understand your point. Congrats on the St georges offer too! :smile:
I get the impression that you dont like Aston, you're not overly committed to pharmacy and that you're only doing it for job prospects... why are you bothering?

Sorry to be so blunt but i think you will regret it. Another gap year isn't such a high price to pay if you were truly committed to medicine.

lil_dreamer90
Pharmacy from what ive seen, is a profession, is stable and will provide you with an OK income.. I guess thats all you need right?

If you want a job that you do not enjoy and have no passion for, then yes.
Reply 29
lil_dreamer90
I know, trust me im frustrated and dissapointed too- i want to study at a university from the likes of UCL or imperial but they dont pharmacy unfortunatley... thats why i created this thread- i just wanted to know peoples opinions of going for Aston and going for pharmacy when I have the grades for other things. Aston is the only place left with spaces for pharmacy. Well Bath has some too, but i didnt like it there very much.

You say apply for some other uni or course but I cant think of anything else asides from pharmacy or optometry that would give me a place (this late!) for THIS year with my PS being geared towards medicine.. Its all very well doing biomchemistry at Imperial, but im just wondering what it would get you afterwards apart from lab work? any ideas anyone?

Thanks for your opinion :smile:

I'm wondering this too, in fact with all the biological and medical science degrees. What are the prospects apart from lab work?
Reply 30
You could do anything really, but you would need further training, like a law conversion course or internship for an accountant.. but i dont really know the prospects for a science related job asides from lab work...
The real question here is - do you want to be a pharmacist? If you don't then there's no point studying hard for 5 years to become one.

If you do want to be a pharmacist then you're not selling yourself short are you? And lots of the top universities for pharmacy (Aston included) ask for at least ABB now, some ask for AAB!
Reply 32
I think pharmacy is a good choice to be honest. I recommend a few things though, why not pick up the phone and call other universities such as London school of pharmacy or whatever and explain your situation. With 3 As they might be willing to make space for you on their course. My cousin got onto a medicine course by calling different universities on results day, at first everyone university told him they didn't have places, he went to Liverpool university (the nearest one that does medicine) looked for the head of medicine and pleaded his case, two weeks along the line a place pops up and now he's just finishing off his fourth year.

All I am saying is even if you do accept the course at aston as a firm, you can still call other universities and plead your case, you may got on a pharmacy course at a better uni or you might even get on a medicine course.
Reply 33
OK - so if this is REALLY about not being a doc (at any point) and wanting to find out about whether you and pharmacy / you and ASton are a good match, why ask a bunch of medics/medic wanna bes?

Latest

Trending

Trending