The Student Room Group

Where are all the summer jobs !

Is anyone else having this problem. Most year's I get I part time summer job to earn a bit of cash. This was made a lot harder this year as there are ZERO available.

Employeers only want to hire (full time) part time staff which I can't do cos i'm going to uni in September. So it looks like a term time job at uni (at least I get a free summer). Anyone else with this problem or thoughts :smile:

Scroll to see replies

There was an advertisement in the newsagent's window for a 2 hour, 2 nights cleaning job for £34 for a week.

I called them straight away but they told me that the position had been filled.

TAKE THE ADVERTISEMENT DOWN THEN.
Reply 2
Chillin with Waldo I suppose.
Reply 3
with foreign people (not that I have a problem with that - it's fair gain) and the recession (people won't employ anyone unless they need them now)

yeah, it's difficult asking everywhere cos you get rejected everywhere you go and that just makes you want to not bother with looking any more. I can't find anywhere either, but i am a few years younger than you so that might contribute to it.
Reply 4
I saw a job offer for an attendant at a petrol station that wanted 'sales experience'...

Not quite on topic, but baffling nevertheless.
Yep, I've been on jobseekers for a month so far with no luck. When I go round asking in all the shops they look at me like I'm mad and laugh. Available jobs?!?! I even got auto-rejected by Sainsburys, which is never a good sign. Doesn't help that there are only a couple of buses out of my village a day and the first is at like 10am and the last back 4pm which is just GREAT for commuting. If I don't get a job I'm going to have trouble being able to afford to go to uni.
if anyone finds them, give us a shout please!
Reply 7
L i b
I saw a job offer for an attendant at a petrol station that wanted 'sales experience'...

Not quite on topic, but baffling nevertheless.

I guess employers can be ridiculously picky at the moment :dontknow:
Reply 8
Just start the job and then quit. That was my plan anyway. Or look for places where you always see students working, most likely they will have gone home over the sumer so they need staff then.
Reply 9
Yes, I've just kind of accepted the fact and figured I won't even try any more, but my parents don't seem to get that. Given that my dad is unemployed and has been for months....surely that would be an indicator!
Reply 10
Hotels, restaurants should be busy this summer.

How about farms? It may appear daft, but if you live near the countryside then they often need a helping hand for harvest and what not. And, these kinda jobs are summer jobs, not permanent.

Then again, depends where you live and what's in your area.
Reply 11
Credit crunch. :/
I haven't found it too bad. I don't have a job but I've managed to apply for several.
There should be a few around - if you look around and apply for loads, you'll probably find one. If you just sit on your arse and wait for something to come to you, you won't.

If you can't find a job, the alternative is to do an apprentice: get a couple of mates together, get a bucket and sponge, go down to a supermarket or other public place and clean cars for a fiver!

loz_fairy
Yes, I've just kind of accepted the fact and figured I won't even try any more, but my parents don't seem to get that. Given that my dad is unemployed and has been for months....surely that would be an indicator!

At least try your best, and apply to everywhere you can think of. If you don't try, you'll never know!!!! There are part-time jobs around, and somebody must be getting them. I was in a similar boat to you - looked around, didn't think I'd find one, and then I did, from a place that I thought would be very unlikely to give me a job when I applied.
For me there seems to be far more than last year, last year I ended up being a night cleaner which was really fun but has had a long lasting effect on my sleeping pattern.

Get on with recruitment agencies. Temping is better than nothing and there are loads of data monkey on catering jobs around.

Try all the online jobsites, there are loads of them, and the job centre plus website too.

Also as my dad says "throw enough mud at the wall and something will stick" so apply for everything you could remotely do.
Reply 14
You need to contact local recruitment agencies. They are normally the most helpful to a student's situation and in my experience, have a lot of temporary full and part time work.
Reply 15
I have a job atm, but its **** so I'm looking for something with more hours.

I've managed to find quite a few places to apply too. I only did that yesterday, so i'm desperatly hoping someone will get back to me!

Greggs are recruting, not in Sheffield it seems, too full, but you could try calling 08003897940, you might have better luck where you live.
Reply 16
jacketpotato
There should be a few around - if you look around and apply for loads, you'll probably find one. If you just sit on your arse and wait for something to come to you, you won't.

If you can't find a job, the alternative is to do an apprentice: get a couple of mates together, get a bucket and sponge, go down to a supermarket or other public place and clean cars for a fiver!

At least try your best, and apply to everywhere you can think of. If you don't try, you'll never know!!!! There are part-time jobs around, and somebody must be getting them. I was in a similar boat to you - looked around, didn't think I'd find one, and then I did, from a place that I thought would be very unlikely to give me a job when I applied.

Well, the boyfriend is going to sandhurst in september, and right now I'd rather get as much time as I can with him. I've applied for jobs and not got any, my job that I've worked for the last 2 summers should have been a shoe-in and wasn't, and now everyone is back. That's not to say I'm not gonna apply for stuff when I see it.
I'm more concerned that my dad (who needs a full time job and has degrees and experience etc) thinks that it would be easier for me to find a job, given that I'm looking for like 3 months max. It just doesn't make financial sense!
loz_fairy
Well, the boyfriend is going to sandhurst in september, and right now I'd rather get as much time as I can with him. I've applied for jobs and not got any, my job that I've worked for the last 2 summers should have been a shoe-in and wasn't, and now everyone is back. That's not to say I'm not gonna apply for stuff when I see it.
I'm more concerned that my dad (who needs a full time job and has degrees and experience etc) thinks that it would be easier for me to find a job, given that I'm looking for like 3 months max. It just doesn't make financial sense!

Sounds like he is more worried about how you do than about how he does :o: very sweet

If you don't want or need a job, then thats cool. But if you do want a job, then do take the time you hand in your CV to some shops, and apply to places like Tescos/McDs online - you never know :p:
Reply 18
Kink
You need to contact local recruitment agencies. They are normally the most helpful to a student's situation and in my experience, have a lot of temporary full and part time work.

Not so.

I've been out of work since Feb. I signed up woth 4 agencies and things are that bad that 1 has closed it's branch and 2 more have laid staff off themselves.
Reply 19
G8D
The recession took them all away.

Rumour has it that Gordon Brown ate them.

Latest

Trending

Trending