The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

LAW at Southampton? What's the course like?

Thanks!
Also wondering is the nightlife any good ?

Scroll to see replies

Hard; quite a few people drop out, from what I've seen and heard.

Don't mean to put you off, but just be prepared :p:
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Mustard-man
Hard; quite a few people drop out, from what I've seen and heard.

Don't mean to put you off, but just be prepared :p:

Oh dear :eek:
I mean they are all hard, surely can't be MUCH difference? :frown:
How do you find the uni in general? :smile:
Jinxy
Oh dear
I mean they are all hard, surely can't be MUCH difference? :frown:
How do you find the uni in general? :smile:
I know two people that switched from Law to Economics after failing first year, so they must think that Economics is somewhat easier :p:

Yeah, I'm totally enjoying it. I'm loving the independent life, I've met tons of (different) people and night life is awesome :biggrin:

I take it you're due to start in October?
Yeah, it's hard - my flatmates who study law are both bright girls, and they consider themselves lucky to get anything higher than 50; and say the same is true for most others on the course!

But people do it at the end of the day, so I wouldn't lose sleep quite yet! :p:
i'm doing law there there in Oct
I've started to get really worried about it. I'm that sort of person anyway, I tend to over worry about things, even if its a stupid thing to even think about. I'm pretty scared, but know and expect the course to be hard. I'm not expecting an easy ride.
I've never studied law before, did anyone else never study it before taking it at uni? I brought an AS/A2 revison guide the other day and plann to read through it and make notes just to have a grasp of it before i start. Would people consider this a good idea? Also I'm not must for the whole party-life sort of thing, but i do like going out and having a few drinks with my mates. Do law students get much of a social life, becasue my cousin did medicine and admitted he never really got out much at all, and so did his wife who too stuided medicine.
Reply 6
I'm doing law there in october as well.
i've always thought that law is a harder subject cause it requires more hard work. But this may depend on the person cause i've got a friend doing law in LSE and she still party whenever she can.
Students of law still go out and stuff, don't worry! I mean you just have to be fairly disciplined with yourself, and do work when you have to; revise when you have you; etc. But you certainly don't lose your social life!

Medics on the other hand...:erm: :p:
Im doing Law in Soton in Oct also :smile: I cant wait!

I guess it depends how bright and self disciplined you are...

And when I've visited people at Soton uni the night life was really good, plenty of clubs/bars/restaurants to choose from :smile:

Does anyone know when we find out our accommodation? Im guessing its after results day...
I had an interview today and I happened to bump into someone doing Law whilst waiting. He said last year (i.e. first year) there were 260 students, this year there are 150 students :eek:

Good luck guys :biggrin:
Reply 10
Mustard-man
I had an interview today and I happened to bump into someone doing Law whilst waiting. He said last year (i.e. first year) there were 260 students, this year there are 150 students :eek:

Good luck guys :biggrin:

What :eek3:

and no i'm in year 12, just considering my options and where i want to apply now.... Eek
It's the same everywhere though - lots of people end up having to drop out of law - it's a sad fact :frown:
Reply 12
jonnythemoose
It's the same everywhere though - lots of people end up having to drop out of law - it's a sad fact :frown:

well hopefully i'll like it.... i have read a couple books on law and enjoyed them so i am hoping that counts for something!
It's not too hard after the first term, you get used to the reading/workload etc, plus I don't think first years have to do property anymore (until they get to second year) so that will help...you'll still get to go out as much as everyone else pretty much, you might just have to work a bit more during the day when your mates are dicking around or whatever i you really want a good grade in your first year
cool
Some stuff here is really encouraging, the figures are a little shocking mind you.
I guess hard work villiage here i come. I'm looking forward to it, bloodsweatbeer, did you do law at southampton, how did or are you finding it?
I've just finished my first year of law at Southampton. The course is really good and don't worry about not having studied law before, I hadn't. The lecturers tell you that A level law only helps towards the first 3 weeks of the course. There is a lot of work involved, but there's also plenty of time left to go out 2 times a week and have weekends free. You do 5 modules (Legal Method, Contract, Constitutional, Criminal & Property 1). All the modules last for the entire year - I think somebody above said Property 1 was only for the first semester. Hope that helped, if you want to know anything else just post back or pm me :smile:
oemphoenix
I've just finished my first year of law at Southampton. The course is really good and don't worry about not having studied law before, I hadn't. The lecturers tell you that A level law only helps towards the first 3 weeks of the course. There is a lot of work involved, but there's also plenty of time left to go out 2 times a week and have weekends free. You do 5 modules (Legal Method, Contract, Constitutional, Criminal & Property 1). All the modules last for the entire year - I think somebody above said Property 1 was only for the first semester. Hope that helped, if you want to know anything else just post back or pm me :smile:

Hi James :iits:
hi oemphoenix, did you just go into the subject blind, or had you at least picked up a book on the subject before hand?
By hard work do you mean that there is a rather high work load or that the subject itself can be a little bewildering?
Cheers
x
Reply 18
Hi Guys. I just finished my first year studying law at soton and i would say it is a hard course. The first thing is that the legal method is the biggest load of crap i have ever heard in my life. I dont see how it helps and thye have changed the course this year so you do a proper exam in it rather than just coursework like we had to. They gove you a reading list with legal method reading, which was pointless, i would say dont bother reading it but as the course is changed im not sure if this is the best advice. On the plus side you do not have to property 1 anymore. The reason for this was that it was dragging down people averages so they could not get on the vacation schemes, so that will certainly make the course easier.

If anyone has any questions im more than happy to answer them
I hadn't read anything about law really. I'd bought letters to a law student and read about 2 pages of it whilst on holiday...

By high work load I meant there's a high work load throughout the course. At the start of the course it is bewildering, I had no idea what all the annotations meant on the cases. I found the first couple of weeks pretty hard, it's like a different language to start with. After 2/3 weeks you get the hang of things, and the tutors go pretty easy on you in the beginning.

Hope I answered your questions :cool:

Let me know if you get in!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending