The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Accounting and Finance Personal Statement.

I've finished all my A2 exams so i started thinking about how to write my personal statement. As the title says i am applying for Accounting and Finance and i really want to get a place at LSE, so i want to write my personal statement based on LSE "preferences" :p: I have AAA in accounting, maths and further maths and this year i did ancient history, predicting an A.

Can any A&F offer holders give me any tips on how to write it?
Also since the degree is both Accounting and Finance, should i write 50%-50%?
I have many activities and sports. How can i link them with Accounting and Finance? (see my profile)

I read the personal statements on TSR but i just find it really difficult starting my one :s-smilie:

Btw, sorry if there is another thread like this, but i wanted to make a new one. :rolleyes:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, me and 2 of my friends from school all got offers from LSE for A&F. I think I wrote mine about 70% Finance and 30% accounting but I think they would prefer a more even split. One of my friends even talked about banking and management and still got an offer! Your grades are brilliant so you should have a decent chance. To link sports with A&F Just say something like they developed my leadership and communication skills or something like that.

Any more questions please ask, Milch.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
KyriakosCy
I've finished all my A2 exams so i started thinking about how to write my personal statement. As the title says i am applying for Accounting and Finance and i really want to get a place at LSE, so i want to write my personal statement based on LSE "preferences" :p: I have AAA in accounting, maths and further maths and this year i did ancient history, predicting an A.

Can any A&F offer holders give me any tips on how to write it?
Also since the degree is both Accounting and Finance, should i write 50%-50%?
I have many activities and sports. How can i link them with Accounting and Finance? (see my profile)

I read the personal statements on TSR but i just find it really difficult starting my one :s-smilie:

Btw, sorry if there is another thread like this, but i wanted to make a new one. :rolleyes:

Hi mate!

Firstly, its great that you have maths and further maths, and that you are taking ancient history - you should know, however that accounting is one of LSE's blacklisted subjects - but since you only have one blacklisted subject it should be fine. See this page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/undergraduateProspectus2009/howToApply.htm#generated-subheading5

For LSE preferences on personal statements, read this page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/undergraduateAdmissions/Making_an_application/UCAS_personal_statement/Default.htm

My advice, if you are set on LSE, would be to go by the book and do everything LSE say. That means a 50/50 split between Accounting and Finance. I think that also means a 75/25 split between academic and non-academic interests. So about your sports and stuff, make sure that only takes up 25% of the statement, but even then try and link it in to Accounting and Finance where possible.

I would also make subtle references to the specific course, subtle enough for LSE to notice them, but not to rule you out of other courses. I did this and still got offers from 4 other unis. A good way of doing this is saying you have read (or actually read) books on the recommended reading list for the course you are applying for - this shows you have researched the course. You could also say that you are looking forward to studying a particular module of the LSE course.

Anyway good luck, and when you get to applying for accommodation - I recommend Butlers Wharf.
Reply 3
Accounting and finance aren't really that different; they don't do a pure Accountancy course (I'm pretty sure) so it's a bit of a mix anyway.

Put what you want to do, the usual crap (go to the PS forum, I'm not a helper there so they'll do better) and so on. You've got the grades, so don't worry about that. Certain universities have admitted they don't pay too much attention to the PS though...
Reply 4
Ice_Queen
Accounting and finance aren't really that different; they don't do a pure Accountancy course (I'm pretty sure) so it's a bit of a mix anyway.

Put what you want to do, the usual crap (go to the PS forum, I'm not a helper there so they'll do better) and so on. You've got the grades, so don't worry about that. Certain universities have admitted they don't pay too much attention to the PS though...

OP, LSE pay A LOT of attention to the personal statement.
Reply 5
tomoli
OP, LSE pay A LOT of attention to the personal statement.

I said certain, I wasn't sure. Maybe I should have qualified that. I am neither a PS helper nor an LSE student. I am an Accountancy student.

I merely wanted to state that the PS was a mix and that going to the PS Helpter forum might be a better place, I probably didn't get that across well...

Apologies.
Reply 6
Ice_Queen
I said certain, I wasn't sure. Maybe I should have qualified that. I am neither a PS helper nor an LSE student. I am an Accountancy student.

I merely wanted to state that the PS was a mix and that going to the PS Helpter forum might be a better place, I probably didn't get that across well...

Apologies.

No no need to apologise, I was just pointing out that this wasn't true for LSE, although I agree it is the case at some unis.
Get 'accounting is a language' in there somewhere :gthumb:
Reply 8
LSE definitely pay a lot of attention to PS. I think i got the offer from LSE due to my PS.
Anyway i am A&F 2009 intake. You can PM me if you want for any assistance.
Reply 9
Thanks everyone! :smile:

By the way, i had a look on http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/undergraduateProspectus2009/howToApply.htm#generated-subheading5 and it says that some departments might have different blacklisted subjects than other departments. (* A number of departments regard Drama/Theatre Studies as a 'generally preferred subject'. Please check the Admissions Criteria web pages for further information.)

I had a look at the Department of Accounting, and i couldn't find any information whether or not Accounting is still a blacklisted subject for A&F.

What do you think?
Reply 10
KyriakosCy
Thanks everyone! :smile:

By the way, i had a look on http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/undergraduateProspectus2009/howToApply.htm#generated-subheading5 and it says that some departments might have different blacklisted subjects than other departments. (* A number of departments regard Drama/Theatre Studies as a 'generally preferred subject'. Please check the Admissions Criteria web pages for further information.)

I had a look at the Department of Accounting, and i couldn't find any information whether or not Accounting is still a blacklisted subject for A&F.

What do you think?

Still blacklisted I think.
Reply 11
kyriako, i can send you my personal statement if you want, message me if you want it. im from cyprus as well but live in london. all my family is in limassol tho.
Reply 12
andy22may
kyriako, i can send you my personal statement if you want, message me if you want it. im from cyprus as well but live in london. all my family is in limassol tho.

Really? I appreciate that, thanks! :smile: Limassol ftw :p:
Reply 13
KyriakosCy
Really? I appreciate that, thanks! :smile: Limassol ftw :p:

Larnaca ftw :yep:
Reply 14
Hi,

I got AACD at AS getting A's in Maths and Econ. In GCSE's I got 2a* 5a's 2b's. Just wanted to know, do I have a chance at LSE Accounting and Finance. Please Help!..and i also need help on starting my personal statement. Thanks

J
JulioM
Hi,

I got AACD at AS getting A's in Maths and Econ. In GCSE's I got 2a* 5a's 2b's. Just wanted to know, do I have a chance at LSE Accounting and Finance. Please Help!..and i also need help on starting my personal statement. Thanks

J

Personally, with those grades, I think you have very little chance, sorry :frown:
Nabster_88
Larnaca ftw :yep:

I have to say Limassol is better...
Reply 16
O kk..I am an international student! Would that boosten my chances of getting in?
JulioM
O kk..I am an international student! Would that boosten my chances of getting in?

The School has a quota on the number of internationals it can accept and I doubt they have a shortage of applications from overseas so being an international shouldn't really change anything.
Either way, I don't think it would be enough to compensate for the grades.
Reply 18
What would be minimum GCSE and AS level requirements?
JulioM
What would be minimum GCSE and AS level requirements?

Here you go
First result. Standard offer AAB but a large fraction of candidates will have straight A's with 4 or more A Levels so unless your PS is phenomenal I'd say there's virtually no chance with AACD :frown:
As for the GSCE's, the topic is rather contraversial but for such competitive courses as Economics and A&F the consensus is that they should be in 8/9A* region.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending