The Student Room Group

Skins

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1680
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Good point tbh. I was wondering if they'd ever have an East Asian on it for once, since they never have IIRC. To make next series/generation more interesting, they could also include:

- A Christian person, to see how their religion clashes with the Skins lifestyle
- An overweight person
- A trans person, and not just slightly genderqueer like Franky is/was, but proper trans

And probably some others if I can think of any.

A muslim girl would be a good one with all the alcohol pressure.

The only major story idea that I can think of that they haven't covered (as far as I remember) is a rape. Though I don't really know if Skins would handle that properly... but it does happen to probably more people than many of the scenarios that they show.
Original post by SpamBa
A muslim girl would be a good one with all the alcohol pressure.

The only major story idea that I can think of that they haven't covered (as far as I remember) is a rape. Though I don't really know if Skins would handle that properly... but it does happen to probably more people than many of the scenarios that they show.

They did have a Muslim boy (Anwar from Gen 1) who seemed to bow down to all teen pressures very easily :p:. So I thought someone Christian would be something different, especially since it's the more common religion in this country.

Apparently, Franky may have been raped in that slightly creepy last sex scene she had with Luke back in her episode, but I'm not really sure as it's quite ambiguous. There's been quite a lot of argument on the internet about whether it was actually rape, dub-con or consensual but she disliked and regretted it straight after. And it's not even been mentioned since though, so whether that's significant enough to be picked up again before the end of the series or not, I don't know.

But yeah, you're right, in that if Franky's incident doesn't count, then maybe they should have a rape storyline and do it properly as it'd be a good idea and more realistic.
Reply 1682
They did have a Muslim boy (Anwar from Gen 1) who seemed to bow down to all teen pressures very easily :p:. So I thought someone Christian would be something different, especially since it's the more common religion in this country.

Apparently, Franky may have been raped in that slightly creepy last sex scene she had with Luke back in her episode, but I'm not really sure as it's quite ambiguous. There's been quite a lot of argument on the internet about whether it was actually rape, dub-con or consensual but she disliked and regretted it straight after. And it's not even been mentioned since though, so whether that's significant enough to be picked up again before the end of the series or not, I don't know.

But yeah, you're right, in that if Franky's incident doesn't count, then maybe they should have a rape storyline and do it properly as it'd be a good idea and more realistic.

I thought a girl would be very different as they could have the pressure to stay covered with the hijab, and I think muslim parents tend to be a lot stricter with girls than boys, so drinking and staying out light would be a bigger deal.

I think it would be more interesting to have a storyline where it's clearly rape to the audience, but maybe that the victim isn't so universally believed by her peers? That would be more like real life.
:rofl: I'm not surprised; I thought Poppy looked and acted quite young. Oh dear Alo :s-smilie:
lol blatant trainspotting ripoff, he's even ginger...

and yeah i thought she looked like 11 anyway, i just thought it might have been a poor casting choice haha
This is a pretty good episode though. The storyline of older guy unknowingly having sex with a minor is actually something pretty realistic.
I'm watching Skins right now and I came on here to post 'OMG, Poppy looks about 10!' and then it turns out she's underage.
Original post by doloroushazy
lol blatant trainspotting ripoff, he's even ginger...

and yeah i thought she looked like 11 anyway, i just thought it might have been a poor casting choice haha

She seemed well developed for an 11 year old:eek: the only thing that would give the age away was acting like a kid and some people do that well into adulthood, he shoulda IDd her and asked to see some photographic identification at the rave or on the date:rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
19 minutes in and:

"No amount of head or.....(wait for it).... head ****ery"

:facepalm2:
I kind of guessed when she did the handstand that she was maybe a little young so when she turned out to be 13 I wasn't really surprised. God, they do know how to make a **** situation for everyone, I mean Mini having a baby with someone accused of statutory rape, Alo being accused of it when he didn't know, not knowing Mini's having his baby...yeah. Liv's episode looks suitably messy, looks like it's all going to blow up with Frankie too.

Oh yeah, speaking of Frankie, she was totally in Mini's room in a state of undress.
Original post by Nynyflower
I kind of guessed when she did the handstand that she was maybe a little young so when she turned out to be 13 I wasn't really surprised. God, they do know how to make a **** situation for everyone, I mean Mini having a baby with someone accused of statutory rape, Alo being accused of it when he didn't know, not knowing Mini's having his baby...yeah. Liv's episode looks suitably messy, looks like it's all going to blow up with Frankie too.

Oh yeah, speaking of Frankie, she was totally in Mini's room in a state of undress.

She was sleeping over. When I stay over at a mates I kip in my boxers, doesn't mean I've been tearing him a new one.
This is kind of offtopic, but in the show after Skins, is Vlod or Oft or whatever, male or female? the tan person with the strange name?
Reply 1692
Original post by Skip_Snip
This is kind of offtopic, but in the show after Skins, is Vlod or Oft or whatever, male or female? the tan person with the strange name?

Vod in Fresh Meat is female, but not at all feminine.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Nynyflower

Lol.
Alo is due in court for having sex with a minor. Where does he decide to sleep? In a children's park. :facepalm:
Jokes - I just discovered that the actress who plays Poppy is actually older than the actor who plays Alo :teehee:. Well, she's 19 and she does play the part of a 13-year-old pretty well tbf!
Jokes - I just discovered that the actress who plays Poppy is actually older than the actor who plays Alo :teehee:. Well, she's 19 and she does play the part of a 13-year-old pretty well tbf!

yeah she does play it well, but I wasn't fooled. Her real age was fairly obvious in parts, especially the underwear dancing bit. She's a bit well developed for a 14 year old.
Original post by original_username
19 minutes in and:

"No amount of head or.....(wait for it).... head ****ery"

:facepalm2:

right? nobody in the entire world says that in real life, why do they have to get it in every episode of skins?
Original post by biffyclyro27
yeah she does play it well, but I wasn't fooled. Her real age was fairly obvious in parts, especially the underwear dancing bit. She's a bit well developed for a 14 year old.

It's not that strange. A lot of 14-year-old girls have quite big boobs and hips, as some girls just develop earlier. It's just the fact that she looks really young in the face and she's really short helped with her looking young, as well as her great acting :smile:.
It's not that strange. A lot of 14-year-old girls have quite big boobs and hips, as some girls just develop earlier. It's just the fact that she looks really young in the face and she's really short helped with her looking young, as well as her great acting :smile:.

I guess your right, she does play the part well though. But I had a feeling that she would be about 18/19 in reality.

Quick Reply

Latest