The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
roosel4
no, Warwick

simple answer

I have heard you have to sign your social soul away for 3 years if you go there, not good!

On the one hand - I love Warwick. I very nearly turned down my Oxford offer to go there.
On the other hand (for the benefit of anyone who hasn't made up their mind) going to Oxford (or Cambridge I imagine) in NO way means having no social life. In my case, it meant having no pyjama time. But I managed to play in the uni orchestra, row (with like 12 training sessions a week) and play football, sing in my college choir and do a bunch of other stuff for some of my degree but not all like playing in other orchestras and a musical, and still had a healthy social life and a boyfriend even though I did a science subject with time consuming labs. So really, ignore the stereotype, because it's balls.
Reply 61
I don't see how you could already be set on Oxbridge...?

Like I already know I want to do vet med, and I thought that was thinking ahead. :p:
Reply 62
Globuleman56
I would very much like to go to Oxbridge, but I feel like it is absolutely impossible. I want to study history. Does anyone have any information with regard to the history department at Oxford?

However I think that it might be prudent if I focused upon GCSE exams for the time being.

I'm a fortnight away from the end of my first year here - PM me with some detailed questions about the course, and I'll do my best to answer.
Yasmeenax
I know how you feel O____O :eek3: bet you'll do fine though!
Are you able to move to a better sixth form?

I am moving to a better college this sept. It's quite a new college but it's already been ranked top 10 in the country for state colleges. It's apparently had a multi million pound renovation done to it too. I would like to go to a private school, and I know to many in my school if I ever told them they'd think I'm being snobby, but I just don't feel some teachers do enough to help. My chemistry teacher never let me redo c/w so I had to revise my butt off to get enough marks on both papers (atleast 95% on each) for an A* and I still don't know if I've done enough. It's not fair sometimes...
Reply 64
BackDoorEntry
im only applying for oxford when the time comes. But i dont really wanna go there. Would make my family proud though

Think about what course u want to do at Oxford! if u want to go to oxford!
Reply 65
i wouldnt say im set on it, but it would be a dream come true if i did manage to get in.. will just have to wait and see i guess..
Reply 66
I've just finished my A-Levels for University, and I applied to read Law at Trinity College, Oxford.

Do not set your hopes to high; because the bigger they are the harder they fall. I was educated through the state system, achieved 6 A*'s & 6 A's at GCSE, I achieved 4 A's and a B at AS-Level, I am predicted 3 A's at A-Level and I also have A distiction in an Advanced Extention Award and the first A* in an Extended Project Qual new for 2009. My perosnal statement was personally endorsed by my principle, only one of few students had that honour.

I was rejected from Oxford, without even an interview. Although, convinently two students from my college you used to attend a Grammar School to complete their G.C.S.E's, the only two people in the college, managed to get a place. Oxford, despite what they tell you, is biased against state application, although it did't help my application by applying to Trinity although they should have pooled the application.

I'm not saying don't apply, just do not expect to much and if your from the state sector choose a college lower down on the Norrington Table. I've now got a place at the University of Leicester, the 6th best law school in this country mainly because of the oppertunity to study European Law in Malta in my third year; just because it's not Oxbridge, does not detract from the value. Look at the oppertunites, Oxbridge cannot provide you with the same social experiances.

It's just a shame that law sets look at who you know, as oppose to what you know. But I just want to be a humble administrative legal barrister, so a good law degree from a top 10 university will suffice.

Good Luck Thou!
Reply 67
Rainbow-Dream
I am moving to a better college this sept. It's quite a new college but it's already been ranked top 10 in the country for state colleges. It's apparently had a multi million pound renovation done to it too. I would like to go to a private school, and I know to many in my school if I ever told them they'd think I'm being snobby, but I just don't feel some teachers do enough to help. My chemistry teacher never let me redo c/w so I had to revise my butt off to get enough marks on both papers (atleast 95% on each) for an A* and I still don't know if I've done enough. It's not fair sometimes...

DOn't let them stop you going private - it would be a damn good choice methinks.
I know precisely how you feel, in similar posish: the school I've just left has pretty awful teaching standards, although their overall results aren't terrible. You have to work SO hard to get anywhere near the best results, and it's so time consuming (ridiculously so for GCSE).
Am moving to the local Boys' Grammar next September, tis one of the first on the UK league tables, like yours. What a pleasant change.. :rolleyes:

Have a great time! know you will!
Reply 68
Depends on the results I get.. I went on this visit to Cambridge thinking I would never stand a chance (going to a state school) let alone apply - but the people there changed my mind - and I actually liked the atmosphere (suprisingly). t'was an eye opener.

If I do end up for applying though, it would be for Education, fo' sho' :yeah:.
Reply 69
ljb2008
I was rejected from Oxford, without even an interview. Although, convinently two students from my college you used to attend a Grammar School to complete their G.C.S.E's, the only two people in the college, managed to get a place. Oxford, despite what they tell you, is biased against state application, although it did't help my application by applying to Trinity although they should have pooled the application.

Really? Even though, you know, they give out marginally more offers to the state schoolers that apply than to the private school applicants? And even though they spend thousands on access schemes and summer schools to get you to apply? And even though plenty of tutors like state schoolers who are often more independently minded as they've had to fight harder for their grades? Bitter much...? :rolleyes:

Look at the oppertunites, Oxbridge cannot provide you with the same social experiances.

Now there's a statement that needs qualifying. As far as my experiences go, if you want to get ******** every night and fall over and sit around in your pyjamas then don't apply to Oxford. If your idea of a social life involves actually doing stuff then Oxford is as good as anywhere else.
Reply 70
Rainbow-Dream

If you go to a state school and you get the same grades as someone who goes to a private school, how much of a likely candidate do you think you'd be?
Reply 71
i would really like to go to Oxbridge. is it true that they need atleast 6 A*s? if you get them, what are the chances of getting in there?
Rainbow-Dream

They're not gonna let you re-do coursework for A level, they'll only make a few small edits and that's it. You're not meant to re-do c/w anyway. And don't you feel a real sense of achievement knowing you've done a lot off it on your own back? I know I do and I've not been fed it. I moved to a good school for sixth form and the teachers care lots and will help, but we're not at all spoonfed. You're expected to be so much more independent. The sixth form atmosphere is nice, cosy and you get to know teachers and pupils well too. You'll enjoy college a lot more because you'll do what you want to :smile:

I was never really set on Oxbridge, thought about it a bit and have visited but it's just not me. I want to go to UCL now :yep:
Reply 73
Bekaboo
Really? Even though, you know, they give out marginally more offers to the state schoolers that apply than to the private school applicants? And even though they spend thousands on access schemes and summer schools to get you to apply? And even though plenty of tutors like state schoolers who are often more independently minded as they've had to fight harder for their grades? Bitter much...? :rolleyes:

Now there's a statement that needs qualifying. As far as my experiences go, if you want to get ******** every night and fall over and sit around in your pyjamas then don't apply to Oxford. If your idea of a social life involves actually doing stuff then Oxford is as good as anywhere else.

Well, the evidence is there. No I'm not bitter, I have a wonderful placement and a bright future. Access schemes just lead you into a false sense of security lol My point still stands. It's not all bad knews, I had a letter from Dr. T. Watt from Trinity to say she anticipated my post-graduate application. ---> "marginally" interesting use of modifier

I'm talking about the social experiances of social networking, everyone knows that a social life does include going out and partying. It's finding that balence, and I intend to do both! I don't intende to sit in my pyjamas either. I hear Oxbridge has the highest suicide rates anyway lol
Reply 74
ljb2008
Well, the evidence is there.

Yes, the evidence that [as a whole] the university positively encourages state school applicants and actually slightly advantages them by giving out a disproportionate number of places to them relative to the number of apply.

No I'm not bitter, I have a wonderful placement and a bright future. Access schemes just lead you into a false sense of security lol My point still stands. It's not all bad knews, I had a letter from Dr. T. Watt from Trinity to say she anticipated my post-graduate application. ---> "marginally" interesting use of modifier

Which is great, and I'm happy for you, but I really hate people bandying about slogans about being discriminated against and then saying that people don't apply because they think it's too intimidating.

I'm talking about the social experiances of social networking, everyone knows that a social life does include going out and partying.

And I didn't say it didn't. But the only thing that the rest of my home friends had that I didn't was 5 nights of drinking, to my 2 nights with some orchestra rehearsals, debates and sports fixtures thrown in. I don't know about you, but I don't do much social networking on a night out...

I hear Oxbridge has the highest suicide rates anyway lol

Lucky for you that that claim is made so often that about 50 studies have been done, concluding that we're decidedly average in that respect. I think Nottingham leads the field actually - large medicine department or something?
After visiting Oxford, you would have to be pretty resilient not to be swept away, especially at the prospect of studying there.

But it's all aspirations at the moment, I'm aiming for a PPE, but that could quickly change.
Mainly because I want to study in lively city, and whilst Warwick is an amazing I can't see myself being happy there.
But I'm just a Y11 student haha, I'll probably look back and think how arrogant I was.
sk007_644
yh i wanna go 2 oxford and study ..politics,philosophy and economics

dorian gray

But it's all aspirations at the moment, I'm aiming for a PPE, but that could quickly change. Mainly because I want to study in lively city, and whilst Warwick is an amazing I can't see myself being happy there. But I'm just a Y11 student haha, I'll probably look back and think how arrogant I was.

Out of interest, what A-levels are you guys taking?
Reply 77
I'll be applying to Cambridge because the tripos system looks really good. I am hoping to study either engineering or computer science, although I am leaning more towards engineering.

My AS levels (all of which I will carry to A2) are:

Maths
Further Maths
German
Physics
Reply 78
It's funny all you people saying "I don't know what I'd do if i didn't get in." .etc.etc. especially for subjects that oxbridge aren't even that well reknowned for.

How many of you are basing these opinions having not visited oxbridge or any other universities?
I think in a year's time your opinions might have changed...
In Oxford I saw 1 attractive looking girl, and definately not enough alcohol vendors. :rolleyes: Not for me!
Reply 79
I wouldn't say 'set on' but I'd *like* to go to Cambridge - I live in London and I'd live the indepence of living on my own in a new friendly place. Amongst all the other good stuff, like the quality of education, research etc etc. But I'm not setting my hopes too low nor too high, I'll most likely apply but I'll also apply to London unis, imperial, ucl, kcl, they'd mean staying home and getting buses and trains everyday for me.

Latest