The Student Room Group
Reply 1
dig a hole in your back garden? :dontknow:

sorry :p:

Does the college you go to offer an archaeology course? If you talk to those teachers, they might be able to point you in the right direction. good luck!
MichaelG
dig a hole in your back garden? :dontknow:

sorry :p:

Does the college you go to offer an archaeology course? If you talk to those teachers, they might be able to point you in the right direction. good luck!

Haha, I'll just find potatoes :p:

No, it doesn't... I've just read a thread on here where someone said they did some, but they didn't mention how they got it (old thread).
Reply 4
Maybe try a museum or an archaeological archive?

If you're in London try LAARC.
Reply 5
At my country there are many organizations which seach the ww2 soldiers.They invite all our schoolars and students to help them.So our students don't have any problems with such experience.

Thanks, but it's too far away :frown:

Are there any similar ones in/around Gloucestershire and Monmouthshire (can always stay with family there).
theoldnurse
Maybe try a museum or an archaeological archive?

If you're in London try LAARC.

And my parents don't understand why I want to live in London :rolleyes:

I'll Google some stuff, but it's not coming up with much at the moment. Thanks.
Reply 8
Erm, if you phone up the Archaeology department of York University, they are running a taster week. Apart from that, maybe phone up your local council? :smile:
Reply 9
Hi, I'm gonna be doing a dig in a couple of weeks starting on the 10th of July, at medieval cosmeston near Cardiff... but I had to have firmed them in order to get onto it.

If you subscribe to a monthly magazine such as Current Archaeology then there are lists of digs and how to get involved every summer.

Just try googling it! Get into contacts with museums and local universities! They are always in need of help, however because of the rise in popularity of the subject, they are taking advantage and charing you money, it could be up to £200 a week to get some experience.

Good luck!
Your local council will usually have a department that deals with local historic preservation and what not, contact them and they'll be able to put you in touch with people. Also try your local city library they may stock books and articles written by local archaeological groups whom you may be able to contact, they might also have contact details for any local amateur archaeology groups.
lozziie
Erm, if you phone up the Archaeology department of York University, they are running a taster week. Apart from that, maybe phone up your local council? :smile:

Thanks, might have to give my local council a call, I know there was one a few years back very close to me, so it's not like there's nothing here...
steffi.alexa
And my parents don't understand why I want to live in London :rolleyes:

I'll Google some stuff, but it's not coming up with much at the moment. Thanks.

Any local museum should be good too; in fact the smaller the better as they'll actually care about you :p: Also lot of the people who work there did Archaeology as there degree which should be a good conversation starter...

It's a bit pricey but http://www.dighungate.com/ (a dig run in the summer in York) is amazing and really does cover a lot of techniques and gives you a lot of hands on experience.
Oh, the Britich archaeology website is really useful - it took some time, but I've found loads of various archaeology related events going on wihthin 10 miles of me! :biggrin:

Thanks everyone.
Okay, the excavation that I remembered from a few years ago is still going on, and asking for volunteers (plus, it costs £2 a day - so really cheap compared with some of them, although I probably won't learn as much...). I really hate sending strangers emails, but I've just emailed them asking if I can volunteer. It runs throughout the summer, so I should (if they let me) be able to get loads of experience. :biggrin:
For anyone that's interested, I found the events here.
One of my friends did a degree in Archaeology, and she volunteered in a museum for a while. It is always useful to get a different perspective.
Reply 17
Found these for you in volunteering book:

www.archaeolink.com - Aberdeenshire
www.bamburghhresearchproject.co.uk - Northumberland
www.brutarch.ac.uk - York
www.silchester.rdg.ac.uk - Reading.

All seem to be based up north, so I dont know if they are helpful for you. But it did mention that accommodation was provided at some sites.

Latest

Trending

Trending