The Student Room Group

Urgent help! Facing my manager tomorrow!

Hi TSR this is my first post, but I need some employment advice!

Basically I work at in a clothes shop which is part of a large chain that has branches across the UK. I started there like a month ago as I thought I would be able to work there in the summer. But now it turns out I have to go home because I have noone to live with as my flatmate went home sick and my tenancy with the landlord is running out in about 3 weeks. Also, my university has been unable to transfer me to another university for this September so I think it's best I just move back home with my dad whilst I sort university stuff out.

The problem is, I don't usually work with the manager, as my shifts are usually when she has already left (evenings) but tomorrow I am working with her in the morning and NEED to tell her I am leaving and handing my notice in. She has usually been nice to me, but she is an absolute bitch apparantly, she recently fired several people because they consistently turned up late.

I am worried she will flip when I tell her I need to hand in my notice (after just 1 month!). It will be so awkward too as it is just me and her working until 11am. What do I do?!

Can she legally sack me now? I want to work for the next 3 weeks, but I also want to know I can definately leave and go home in 3 weeks!! Help!! What rights do I have??
Reply 1
Depends what kind of contract you have.
If its 0 hours and they just give you shift work, you can do your last shift and walk out, obv thats a bit rude though, it would be nicer to give notice, but like what are they going to do.

If you don't want a reference from this place, **** it, wait till your last week and then say your plans have unexpectdly changed. Thats probably not great advice, but i wouldnt want to risk being sacked and lose 3 weeks of money. depends on the contract you signed really.
im sure shell understand - that you are moving back home - its not as if you are leaving because you cant be bothered to work there.
If theres a notice period in your contract, they have to honour that. it's not that bad actually, I did it a few months ago, i was well scared, but when it's done, its done. x
Reply 4
superluke2k8
If theres a notice period in your contract, they have to honour that. it's not that bad actually, I did it a few months ago, i was well scared, but when it's done, its done. x

Hey thanks for the reply!!

Basically the job is contracted hours... but the hours have ben kind of random lately... but I have been doing full time and part time lately... like some weeks it's 35 hours another week it is 18 hours on the rota.

I think the contract says it's a week to two week's notice (as I am still on 3 month probationary period) ... so I will be giving them 3 week's notice.

But my manager is so unapproachable, she's like a real tomboy...I find it hard tog el with her. What do I do when I go in tomorrow after doing the formalities like ''Hey how are you'' and polite chat?

''listen, I've got some bad news...'' ???

And then it's awkward for the rest of the day.

Would it be cheeky of me to ask if she could transfer me to a store back home? By the tym I leave I would have worked for the company for two months... is that too short to request a transfer?

Bearing in mind I have not done anything wrong/displeased the manager since I joined, unlike others who got fired quickly for turning up late etc. Haven't had any warnings etc and have generally worked well?

Any ideas what my rights are? Can she fire me for saying I am handing in my notice as I am still on probationary period??

Thanks!
First of all, if you work at a clothes shop that has stores across the country, you could see if they have any openings at a store closer to your home in which you may be able to transfer. You know company policy and know how the store works, so it's probably worth a shot.

I'm no expert as I haven't left my current and first job, but I guess you should talk to the manager. She will probably tell you when you can leave, then research at home whether it is correct.
Reply 6
OMG she is such a bitch for firing people for turning up late! It's almost like they were contracted to work then or something
Reply 7
Juno
OMG she is such a bitch for firing people for turning up late! It's almost like they were contracted to work then or something

So what you are saying is - she had reason to fire those people but because I haven't done anything wrong so far, she probably won't fire me for telling her I want to hand my notice in?

How can I also sweeten her into understanding why I am leaving? Lie and say 'personal issues?' 'I really like working for this brand and don't want to quit?'

I do love working for the brand, and want to work in a store at home, I just an't stay in Manchester.
Reply 8
Why would she fire you for handing your notice in? Even if she did want to get rid of you, you'd be leaving soon enough anyway
Reply 9
Juno
Why would she fire you for handing your notice in? Even if she did want to get rid of you, you'd be leaving soon enough anyway

I don't know.

Do you think she would be pissed off when I tell her tomorrow given I joined a month and a half ago? But my notice would see me working for another month so that would be two months of employment... would she be able to give me a reference in future?
Reply 10
Of course she'd be able to, unless she breaks both her arms and loses her voice so she can't even use that dictation software. Whether she'd be willing is another question entirely.
Wouldn't you go to someone else to hand your notice in? In our store it's our assistant store manager, rather than your actual line manager.
Reply 12
small&mighty
Wouldn't you go to someone else to hand your notice in? In our store it's our assistant store manager, rather than your actual line manager.

Why is that?

I am so scared!!! It is going to be so awkward after I tell her as it just me and her on the shop floor for the first couple of hours!!! Also she will be pissed off because theres loads of paperwork to do with new employees, right? Like employee number, tax, payroll etc... :frown:

Shall I just be perfectly honest? How do I deal with her potential (and likely) strop?
ilovetsr1990x
Why is that?

I am so scared!!! It is going to be so awkward after I tell her as it just me and her on the shop floor for the first couple of hours!!! Also she will be pissed off because theres loads of paperwork to do with new employees, right? Like employee number, tax, payroll etc... :frown:

Shall I just be perfectly honest? How do I deal with her potential (and likely) strop?

I'm sorry I didn't reply back last night. And I don't know why it's our assistant store manager, I needed to change my contracted hours and it was her who I sent the letter to and who sorted it out for me rather than my line manager. Even if there is loads of paperwork it isn't your line manager doing it, it'd be someone based in the office or HR or personnel (depending on company).

I hope it went okay today if you did tell her?
Reply 14
Jesus Christ, leaving a job is not the worse thing in the world. Your getting worked up abuot nothing.

Staff turnover in most shops is high - she's gonna be used to it.
Reply 15
becky.fm
Jesus Christ, leaving a job is not the worse thing in the world. Your getting worked up abuot nothing.

Staff turnover in most shops is high - she's gonna be used to it.

I know, but I find it so bad because I have had to work with the manager recently on quite a few shifts and she REALLY likes me... like, apparantly she was an absolute bitch to loads of people, and made some leave, but has been really nice to me, thinks Im a good sales assistant etc...

However, I feel so bad that I am leaving now! I feel I am cheating her!

Also - I am giving two weeks notice - is this enough??? As in, I will call in probably tomorrow... do I need to also give a written notice as well? I was thinking of ringin in tomorrow and explaining my problems and saying I'm really sorry/suck up etc.
ilovetsr1990x
I know, but I find it so bad because I have had to work with the manager recently on quite a few shifts and she REALLY likes me... like, apparantly she was an absolute bitch to loads of people, and made some leave, but has been really nice to me, thinks Im a good sales assistant etc...

However, I feel so bad that I am leaving now! I feel I am cheating her!

Also - I am giving two weeks notice - is this enough??? As in, I will call in probably tomorrow... do I need to also give a written notice as well? I was thinking of ringin in tomorrow and explaining my problems and saying I'm really sorry/suck up etc.

I would imagine it has to be written. And look at your contract in regards to notice, it is usually four weeks I think.
Reply 17
Ok so I am basically going to call up in the morning and say:

''Hi I'm just wondering how much notice I need to give to resign as I'm having some problems at home and can't stay here, I'm going to hav to hand in my notice...I'm really sorry. I've really enjoyed working at x so don't think it's because I want to stop workin for the company, it's just I don't hav much choice.''

It's gonna be so awkward!! Especially as I am due in work later that day! I am sure they are gonna just sack me!! But I could always ring up their head office iof they do...

So yeh, after I've called I will go into work later on an leave a resignation letter on my manager's desk too - is that ok??

PLEASE give me moral support TSR, I dunno why I am so nervous!
Reply 18
Anyone???

Latest

Trending

Trending