The Student Room Group

O level Physics problem

Question 1
Man and son slide down a hill on individual sledges. Mass of man is twice the mass of boy. Assume no friction between the sledge and the hill and individual sledge have the same mass. At the bottom of the hill, the speed of boy will be 4 times faster the speed of the man.

Please help to explain this ?

Question 2
Barrel mass is 150 kg and radius 0.5 m. What minimum force thruorh the center O is needed to push the barrel over? (refer to attachment for diagram)

A. 1125 N
B. 1200 N
C. 1875 N
D. 2000 N
Reply 1
Aotearoa
Question 1
Man and son slide down a hill on individual sledges. Mass of man is twice the mass of boy. Assume no friction between the sledge and the hill and individual sledge have the same mass. At the bottom of the hill, the speed of boy will be 4 times faster the speed of the man.

Please help to explain this ?

lets assume mass of the boy is m,so mass of the man is 2m and assume that the velocity of the boy is V then the velocity of the man is V/4
now the lighter the mass the acceleration is greater so therefor the velocity of the boy at the bottom would be greater,the boy and the man to have the same force if m is 2 then a would be a/2 for the man
as f=ma
so as a is halved ,and a is proportional to V^2 as V^2=U^2+2as and assuming they started from rest then V^2 is directly proportional to a so as a is halved V is quarterd

Question 2
Barrel mass is 150 kg and radius 0.5 m. What minimum force thruorh the center O is needed to push the barrel over? (refer to attachment for diagram)

A. 1125 N
B. 1200 N
C. 1875 N
D. 2000 N

for this one the attachment is not working and I don't know what a barrel is so if you attach it again and tell me what barrel is I'll try to help you

Latest

Trending

Trending