Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Geography B unit 6 synoptic: Conflict in the Cairngorms

Announcements Posted on
One quick question - from of our list, who would you most like to see on TSR doing a Q&A? 23-09-2014
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flavity)
    Haha.. as long as he's passionate about something, its all good :p:

Edit: I wonder if Tom actually knows theres a mini-discussion going on about him haha..!

Edit 2: Where the hell are all the other contributors to the previous thread?!
    I know, lol. I couldn't contribute because I was banned in the week leading up to the exam. But I was still lurking; peering over the posts like an inquisitive pidgeon. :ninja:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    I know, lol. I couldn't contribute because I was banned in the week leading up to the exam. But I was still lurking; peering over the posts like an inquisitive pidgeon. :ninja:
    Banned? Thats a pain, I'm wondering where all the other main contributors are tho... can't remember many names but obv tom, joe as well, ethereal phenomenon? amongst lots of others.. nobody wants to chat about it!! Ah well.. I guess its just us lot :yes:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geogger)
    probably still in the pub.....
    You know your probabaly right haha.. :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some of us still have exams :p:

As for the paper, I thought it was ok. Question 2 was a gift, I wasn't quite sure what the focus of question 1 should have been, originally I thought it would just be the difficulties in managing particular issues but I then thought it was looking more for a something along the lines of balancing environmental needs with those of people.

I was also surprised about question 3 asking you to propose strategies. I didn't want to repeat what I'd written in question 2 about Glenshee and I didn't think there was enough time to delve in to other strategies when the focus of the question was on fieldwork. Tbh, I think it was a pretty poor question. They clearly decided they wanted a question on fieldwork, but not a full 20 mark question on fieldwork so they adapted it to include strategies, much of which you could already have covered in question 2. Wouldn't it have just been easier to have had a question based on structuring a fieldwork exercise on the impacts of your chosen proposal on Glenshee and the surrounding area? Plenty of stuff to discuss and minimal overlap.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't say that I was a fan to be honest

I thought question 1 was a bit awkward in what it required, but I put in everything I could think of to answer it, so I just hope that it was right. The second question was ok, but I just struggled for time with this one. I could have spent the whole two hours writing an answer to that one, but instead I felt I'd rushed a bit! And I really just didn't like the third question, because I couldn't decide how to write enough for 20 marks.

I just hope that I have done better than I think I have :|

But it's over with now, and I'm extremely thankful!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Luckily my 'God-like' teacher predicted these question so it was a case of remembering what I'd wrote before. As for the fieldwork question, we watched a video on the Cairngorms that was used for a previous exam which showed fieldwork done by Aberdeen Uni about calculating carrying capacity by the number of tramples in a given area.

Question 1 I wrote about deer, heather burning, agro-chemicals and climate change for enviro. Social = population change, rural deprivation and climate change affecting skiing and unemployment etc.

Questin 2 was pretty straight foward.

For the last I chose Objective 3 but think I may have made some absolute crap up for strategies.

Did we have to take each bullet point and think of a strategy for each one or just kind of generalise a few points?

xx
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sigstuff)
    Luckily my 'God-like' teacher predicted these question so it was a case of remembering what I'd wrote before. As for the fieldwork question, we watched a video on the Cairngorms that was used for a previous exam which showed fieldwork done by Aberdeen Uni about calculating carrying capacity by the number of tramples in a given area.

Question 1 I wrote about deer, heather burning, agro-chemicals and climate change for enviro. Social = population change, rural deprivation and climate change affecting skiing and unemployment etc.

Questin 2 was pretty straight foward.

For the last I chose Objective 3 but think I may have made some absolute crap up for strategies.

Did we have to take each bullet point and think of a strategy for each one or just kind of generalise a few points?

xx
    I did what you did, took each bullet point. I would assume that would be the best way to tackle it because then you're taking apart and dissecting the objective
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, how did you all do in this? I somehow got 111/120. :shock:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, how did you all do in this? I somehow got 111/120. :shock:
    90-something

I only got 505 UMS for geography altogether, oh well.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frost3dbutts)
    90-something

I only got 505 UMS for geography altogether, oh well.
    I got one mark more than you overall. :p:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got 120/120 in the synoptic and 537 UMS overall! :surprise: Thanks so much again to all the contributors to the thread, in particular Tom
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got one mark more than you overall. :p:
    :p:

I only got an A in English by 8 UMS, I knew I had reason to be terrified.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I was pleased with my students results on this module too. Hope you all got what you needed!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I some how managed 120/120 and then 90/90 on Global Challenge and 87/90 on Global Futures = astounded. Took the human AS module again despite warnings from my teacher as i got a B and then wound up with 91/100. AMAZED TODAY :woo:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Woop woop 120/120 for Cairngorms exam!!!! So happy and 87/90 for the unit 4.

Overall something like 573/600 for Geography can't believe it. Well done everybody
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flavity)
    Ahaha.. just noticed your reply, it would help if you actually quoted properly!!

And also, Toms passionate about his geography, whats not to like haha! :p: :yes: :cool:
    HAHA Tom's also tall, dark and handsome, likes walks in the park and erm.....picnics??!!!!!!!!

I go away to France for a few months and come back and have a mini discussion about me....i am flattered guys!!!!!!!!!

Hope everybody did well in this exam and geog overall you all deserved it.

Wooooo they're over for ever!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    WOW.
    I managed to get 120/120.

Thanks to everyone who posted pages and pages of help on tsr!

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    65/120 lol my heart weren't in it after the Galapagos disappointment. Still they took my original 75/120 and I managed to scrape an A so aren't too bothered.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom9923)
    HAHA Tom's also tall, dark and handsome, likes walks in the park and erm.....picnics??!!!!!!!!

I go away to France for a few months and come back and have a mini discussion about me....i am flattered guys!!!!!!!!!

Hope everybody did well in this exam and geog overall you all deserved it.

Wooooo they're over for ever!
    Hahaha - sounds like my kinda guy :p:

And cheers for all the geog help mate, it helped sooo much, I got a high B in the synoptic unit and wouldn't have without all those posts so huge debt of gratitude goes out to you and all the others who helped!

They are officially OVER!! Uni here we come!

xxx
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, I supposedly got a U in this paper. Thank **** it was a resit. Managed to scrape an A thanks to global challenge though, so I can't be too annoyed I guess :rolleyes:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 28, 2009
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.