The Student Room Group

Soory for another choices thread:) but...

I am struggling to choose my A level choices as I am torn between the sciences and the arts, (although I don't really want to commit to either,so to keep my options open).
My choices so far are English Lit. (definite)
History (definite)
Maths / Philosophy(torn between the two)
Music/ chemistry (again torn between the two)
and German/ Furthur Maths (as we have to take an extra at AS,although I already have AS German)
I was wondering if anyone culd help me with the subjects I am torn between. Which ones will help me more at univeristy, and also, which ones are easier.
In my mock GCSEs I got around about the same levels in all the subjects so I'm not really better at one than the other.
Again I would be grateful for the help
I also apolagize for those of you who hate these threads!
Well i did maths and chemistry, and both require a lot of work and a genuine interest or you're going to want to kill yourself when the synoptics come round :P. But uni's generally look on them quite well, it depends what you want to study in the future?
yorkshiregirl93

I was wondering if anyone culd help me with the subjects I am torn between. Which ones will help me more at univeristy, and also, which ones are easier.

What do you want to do at university? It all depends on that, really
I was thinking history but I would like a mix just in case I change my mind.
Sorry for my terrible spelling by the way. I just noticed lol.
i did philosophy and thought it was a huge waste of time personally, so i would advise against that
well I read the content of the course for philosophy and it does essentially look the same as GSCE, so maybe it would be pointless.
yorkshiregirl93
I am struggling to choose my A level choices as I am torn between the sciences and the arts, (although I don't really want to commit to either,so to keep my options open).
My choices so far are English Lit. (definite)
History (definite)
Maths / Philosophy(torn between the two)
Music/ chemistry (again torn between the two)
and German/ Furthur Maths
(as we have to take an extra at AS,although I already have AS German)
In my mock GCSEs I got around about the same levels in all the subjects so I'm not really better at one than the other.
Again I would be grateful for the help
I also apolagize for those of you who hate these threads!

1) Choose Maths not Philosophy.
2)Depends on what you want to do in the future
3)You can't do further maths without maths, so this depends on 1)

Also if you want to keep your options open, then chemistry is the way to go. (I notice you've chosen English and History already)
I'm thinking maths then. It would certainly please my dad :P(not that that is a good reason for taking a subject).
How hard is it on a scale of 1 to 10?
I would do Maths over Philosophy, Chemistry over Music and do the Further Maths AS level since you already have the German one.

Saying that, it all depends on your degree choice
Well I think as long as I have History and English I should be able to do HIstory, but it is always good do expand your opportunities in case you change your mind. So thanks for your advice :smile: I think I will do sciences as well rather than concentrate soley on the arts.
Reply 10
As you are considering further maths, then I'd probably take maths (I do maths and further maths) and maths is liked by unis and employers.
And for chem or music, do whichever you'd enjoy more...chemistry is probably more respected but hard work.
Maybe you could do english language or politics as these would be good for doing history at uni as they're essay based.