The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Joeybear
How does the Halls system at Sussex work? Is it first come first served? Or pretty random? Just I only just accepted my offer and havent had anyhing through about accomodation yet.

Hmmmm... :confused:

The brochure states that accommodation is not allocated on a first come first served basis, and is totally random - don't worry about not receiving your accommodation form yet, the deadline is July I think. :smile:
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
It's very random. Everyone I know who wrote that they didn't want to live in East Slope myself included ended up in East Slope. Brighthelm and Park Village are good although Park Village doesn't really have any social space so you end sat on the landing talking to people alot. Also some houses have one bathroom and kitchen to 12 people so can be a bit cramped.
Reply 3
MartinP
It's very random. Everyone I know who wrote that they didn't want to live in East Slope myself included ended up in East Slope. Brighthelm and Park Village are good although Park Village doesn't really have any social space so you end sat on the landing talking to people alot. Also some houses have one bathroom and kitchen to 12 people so can be a bit cramped.

:frown: ooohhhh i don't want to be in east slope. why would they let you choose a preference at all if they don't listen to it?
Reply 4
By all means put a preference but don't say you don't want to go somewhere. It might be just a coincidence that a few people that I spoke to put down they were happy to live anywhere but East Slope but ended up there. East Slope does have its advantages. It's very social and the rooms are bigger, its cheap and some of the redecorated flats are really nice.

To be honest none of the accomadation at Sussex is that great but I found that its the people you live with rather than where you live thats important.
allisandro
:frown: ooohhhh i don't want to be in east slope.

Ditto :thumpdown

I also said I definitely don't want to be in east slope, and made a point of underlining Lewes Court :frown: Damn it, I bet I end up with a shared room now!
Reply 6
MartinP
By all means put a preference but don't say you don't want to go somewhere. It might be just a coincidence that a few people that I spoke to put down they were happy to live anywhere but East Slope but ended up there. East Slope does have its advantages. It's very social and the rooms are bigger, its cheap and some of the redecorated flats are really nice.

To be honest none of the accomadation at Sussex is that great but I found that its the people you live with rather than where you live thats important.

oh i didn't put i didn't want it - i just numbered all the accommodation with lewes court first and east slope last (after off campus even, maybe a little hasty!)

no i totally agree that it's who you live with. it's just...the rooms i looked in were so dark and murky!
Reply 7
allisandro
oh i didn't put i didn't want it - i just numbered all the accommodation with lewes court first and east slope last (after off campus even, maybe a little hasty!)

no i totally agree that it's who you live with. it's just...the rooms i looked in were so dark and murky!

Off campus is supposed to be really good. Apart from the disadvantage of having to get to Uni every day its supposed to be really good. The rooms are supposed to be quite big and its supposed to be easy to make friends with everyone in the building rather than just the people in your house/flat and people on your course which tends to happen on campus. Also living near the centre of brighton has obvious advantages.

I don't really remember the rooms in East Slope to be particularly murky but I might just have got used to it.
Reply 8
Ooh I see. Thanks guys - really helpful.

The off-campus accomodation, is it halls that are dedicated just to students then? Cos I wondered if you would be missing out on the social aspects ?

THen again - it's only a year isn't it? and even then it's only 38 weeks or whatever, as soon as yuo move in, it's out again!

Latest