The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You need to take Chemistry, definitely. Also biology is recommended, as being a doctor means you need to have some biological knowledge to say the least:p: and so it will form the basis I think.

So IMO, do Bio/Chem[it's always good to have at least these two] and then 2 more, any what you want.....maybe Eco and Maths?
Reply 2
Malsi101
You need to take Chemistry, definitely. Also biology is recommended, as being a doctor means you need to have some biological knowledge to say the least:p: and so it will form the basis I think.

So IMO, do Bio/Chem[it's always good to have at least these two] and then 2 more, any what you want.....maybe Eco and Maths?

Hey Malsi, thanks for informing me on that. I did not know i need to take Chemistry and Biology. However out of all of the science's, Physics tends to be my strong point and something i'm interested in. If i do take Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Economics. This would be really hard, especially when people who get A*/A at GCSE cannot cope!
I'm pretty sure that they favour those with Biology A-Level. However, obviously, some universities will differ and won't care.

If I were you, I would take a look at your prospective universities and see whether you need Biology.
Reply 4
You have to take chemistry. And if I were you, I'd replace IT with biology.
Reply 5
tomlaurenson12
Hey Malsi, thanks for informing me on that. I did not know i need to take Chemistry and Biology. However out of all of the science's, Physics tends to be my strong point and something i'm interested in. If i do take Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Economics. This would be really hard, especially when people who get A*/A at GCSE cannot cope!

Take physics too then, but remember that will mean you'll be doing all 3 sciences, and the maths, which is perfectly possible and fine, but maybe doing one that isn't a science will be a nice change in lessons etc:smile:
tomlaurenson12

Welcome to the world of A levels! It's only as hard as you make it.
Reply 7
SuicideCommando
I'm pretty sure that they favour those with Biology A-Level. However, obviously, some universities will differ and won't care.

If I were you, I would take a look at your prospective universities and see whether you need Biology.

Right, Manchester Uni.. say this in their entry requirements:

"A level: The School's normal A-Level offer after successful interview would be grades AAB with minimum Grade A in Chemistry, with exams taken at the same sitting after no more than two years of study. Those applicants who perform exceptionally well at interview and who fail to meet these grades with exceptional circumstances, may also be accepted.

Subjects required: Chemistry plus one from Biology, Human Biology, Physics, Mathematics, plus one further subject (not Critical Thinking or General Studies)"

BUT, that is just Manchester Uni, I am not sure which Uni I will go to...
tomlaurenson12
Right, Manchester Uni.. say this in their entry requirements:

"A level: The School's normal A-Level offer after successful interview would be grades AAB with minimum Grade A in Chemistry, with exams taken at the same sitting after no more than two years of study. Those applicants who perform exceptionally well at interview and who fail to meet these grades with exceptional circumstances, may also be accepted.

Subjects required: Chemistry plus one from Biology, Human Biology, Physics, Mathematics, plus one further subject (not Critical Thinking or General Studies)"

BUT, that is just Manchester Uni, I am not sure which Uni I will go to...

Alright. So you know you have to take Chemistry as the general consensus is that all universities require you of it.

I'm thinking that if you take Biology, then you won't have any trouble when applying on UCAS. However, if you don't, this will perhaps limit your choices.

If I were you I'd take Bio, Chem, Eco and I.T
Maths is extremely hard, and boring. I got 100% at GCSE but at AS I got 8%...
Economics is looked upon very highly, and it's also interesting.

I.T is a subject which you could take a break from all the stress of your other subjects. However, remember a lot of people who take I.T end up doing quite a few lunchtime sessions on their work.
inksplodge
Welcome to the world of A levels! It's only as hard as you make it.

What?
explosions hurt
What?

The OP said to do those four subjects would be hard. A levels are going to be "hard" no matter what subjects you do, but it's only as hard as you make it ie. if you leave all your work and revision to the last minute and don't stay on top of work then of course it'll be hard. :tongue: Discipline!
Reply 11
Is Biology interchangeable with Physics? I've been told that before..
Reply 12
JayAyy's suggestions:

Chemistry - necessary to do medicine.
Biology - highly recommended.
Maths - Always good to have.
Economics - very, very interesting.
Reply 13
Nearly all medicine courses require Chemistry, typical AS Level options for prospective medicine students would be: Biology, Chemistry, Maths and another subject, and the first three for A2. But it's best to check it out with a few admissions tutors (e.g. contact them by email) for medicine courses you're interested in.
Reply 14
Yasmeenax
Is Biology interchangeable with Physics? I've been told that before..

I believe it is. But I think it's common that medicine candidates have biology instead of physics, if not then both biology and physics.
Reply 15
JayAyy
I believe it is. But I think it's common that medicine candidates have biology instead of physics, if not then both biology and physics.

Ah =/ that's a bit of a pain! :rolleyes: Oh well, so be it...

Thanks, btw :wink:
Reply 16
Yasmeenax
Ah =/ that's a bit of a pain! :rolleyes: Oh well, so be it...

Thanks, btw :wink:

It's kool :smile:

What are you studying/planning on studying?
Reply 17
JayAyy
It's kool :smile:

What are you studying/planning on studying?

For sixth form, right? Because I'm pretty unsure about anything beyond that!
I'm planning on taking the ever-controversial IB :rolleyes: So, Maths, Chemistry, Physics and SL History, English, French.

Don't mean to spam up the thread, heh, but what about you?
Reply 18
Yasmeenax
For sixth form, right? Because I'm pretty unsure about anything beyond that!
I'm planning on taking the ever-controversial IB :rolleyes: So, Maths, Chemistry, Physics and SL History, English, French.

Don't mean to spam up the thread, heh, but what about you?

Ahh fair enough :smile:

I'm currently doing Maths, Physics, Economics and Politics. Planning on dropping politics though..
Hey guys if i do take Maths, Chemistry, Bioloigy and Economics.
Wouldn't this be a lot of stress, also due to the fact im not really smart.

Latest