The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hylean
Get thee hence, vile daemon of the abyss! :p:

Surely you'd prefer if I went beyond the yonder! I love Icelandic because of its pure culture and identity!! It has the same everything for 2000 years! They can still read the damn sagas in school ffs! In fact I love Scandinavia in general.
Apparently at schools in Iceland you get taught a language they call "Scandinavian", which is an archaic hybrid of all the Norse languages, and being fluent in that enables you to understand Danish, Swedish and Norwegian. Pretty handy.

cynthialf
Yeah, as a Finnish speaker I can say that I can't really understand Hungarian at all, or even recognise any words.

What about Estonian/Karelian/Mordvin, assuming you've come across them? (just out of interest :P )
Reply 42
Alexander8
Surely you'd prefer if I went beyond the yonder! I love Icelandic because of its pure culture and identity!! It has the same everything for 2000 years! They can still read the damn sagas in school ffs! In fact I love Scandinavia in general.

They can and they can't. Old Icelandic is to Icelandic what Elizabethan English is to Modern English. They understand the majority of it, but not every word and some words have completely different meanings now to what they did then. Still, it is pretty cool.

But don't believe the hype, before the 19th century, Icelandic was heavily influenced by Danish and it was only after Romanticism that a language purity and cleansing movement began in earnest to protect it from outside degradation.

Pocket Calculator
Apparently at schools in Iceland you get taught a language they call "Scandinavian", which is an archaic hybrid of all the Norse languages, and being fluent in that enables you to understand Danish, Swedish and Norwegian. Pretty handy.

Who told you that?!
Norwegian
sounds a bit more mysterious =]
I speak finnish, but I would say Danish :biggrin:
Hylean

Who told you that?!

My old roommate was icelandic (although, to be fair, he didn't go to school in iceland, so it might all be ********)

How similar are Icelandic and Faroese?
Reply 46
Pocket Calculator
My old roommate was icelandic (although, to be fair, he didn't go to school in iceland, so it might all be ********)

How similar are Icelandic and Faroese?

I think your roommate was pulling your leg, mate. There's no such language. They learn Old Norse/Old Icelandic at school, but as I said in an earlier post, it's like us studying Shakespearean English. By the time of the Sagas' creation, there were already two branches of Scandinavian: West Norse and East Norse. West Norse is what we commonly call Old Norse, and what the Icelanders call Old Icelandic, whilst Old Norse went on to become Swedish and Danish. Swedish, Danish and Norwegian are so far removed from those two, though, that knowing either West or East Norse would not facilitate understanding of them.

Icelanders can understand written Faroese for the most part and think it sounds like Icelandic with a cute accent, but they find oral Faroese rather hard to understand as it has been heavily danishified.
It's a pity Norn didn't survive, would've been cool having a Scandinavian language in the British Isles!
Reply 48
A few years back I spent a week in Sweden on a Nordic Student Meeting, with people from all 5 of the Nordic Countries (Iceland, Finland, Sweden, Denmark and Norway). As I'm Norwegian myself I didn't have much problem understanding the Swedish and Danish students, the Icelandic had quite a few similar words to us (which gave us a good laugh when I randomly answered a question whilst they were having a conversation), but couldn't understand any of the Finnish language. But seeing as only Norway, Sweden and Denmark are a part of Scandinavia shouldn't leave you with much choice as in which language to learn. (Sorry if I'm mistaken here).

Also, I spoke to this British man that had spent so much time in Sweden that he could talk Swedish fluent (?) but still couldn't understand Norwegian. I'm just saying..
Reply 49
Pocket Calculator

What about Estonian/Karelian/Mordvin, assuming you've come across them? (just out of interest :P )

I haven't ever really seen Karelian or Mordvin anywhere, but Estonian is often fairly easy to at least basically understand.
cynthialf
I haven't ever really seen Karelian or Mordvin anywhere, but Estonian is often fairly easy to at least basically understand.

Is the Sami language related to Finnish?
Reply 51
Samual
Is the Sami language related to Finnish?

Yeah, Sami is related to both Finnish and Estonian, but not closely at all, and even that is debatable.
Reply 52
dubbelfitta
Yeah but, I thought I'd just say. I can't believe the amount of people I've met in England who when I say I live in Sweden and stuff they're like "Oh.. so you can understand Finnish too?!":confused:

Maybe it's because Finnish people can speak Swedish? (Or should speak after 3-10 years of studying it at school) But yeah, Sweden and Finland get confused alot, you don't want to know how many times I've had to hear long stories about the Finnish Krone and Stockholm being the nicest city in Finland, Helsinki being the close second :biggrin:
Reply 53
yenoh
But seeing as only Norway, Sweden and Denmark are a part of Scandinavia shouldn't leave you with much choice as in which language to learn. (Sorry if I'm mistaken here).

In geographic terms yes, but Scandinavia is often used as a synonym for the Nordic Countries in spoken language.
Guys, thank you all for giving me these kind suggestions on the choice~:woo: I have another question about which of these four languages has easier and clearer pronunciation to grasp as a newbie? For example, I know german is hard, taking “r” for example, when you say it, you have to use uvula and it took me quite a bit of time to properly pronounce that sound. :tongue: do nouns or adjectives of these four languages all involve respective changes according to the grammar terms like gender, case and etc..(i.e. in german, Die schwache Deklination des Adjektivs)? :p:
Pandabär
I'm kinda biased, but i'd say Swedish.

Although, if you speak german, Danish is pretty easy to understand.

Personally though, i'd love to learn Icelandic and read the Sagas in their original language...

I wouldn't bother with Finnish.....It's really hard, and whilst a knowledge of norwegian/swedish/danish would allow you to understand bits of all three languages as they're so similar, Finnish is just...different.

are you german? i have to confess it's SO diificult to learn in regards to its grammar of nouns and adjectives!!!:frown: i have spent nearly half an year to eventually have learnt them by heart and be able to use them almost properly and also the "r" sound is hard to pronounce, too~:o:

can you speak danish? why would you say it's very easy to learn since you know german?:biggrin:
mtoo
If you're fluent in Swedish you can also read Danish and Norwegian like 80% (I don't know how it works the other way around), if spoken you could communicate with Norwegians on a basic level but Danes you're unlikely to understand, just because of the vast difference in pronounciation. Danish in terms of pronounciation could be easier for you since you know German, but grammar-wise you'll going to do fine choosing any of the three.

Finnish isn't impossible to learn, but a lot harder since you won't have any kind of linguistical base for it. It's an interesting langauage but as said before, it won't be of the largest use..

who am i going to listen to? people below this post just said there was no mutual comprehension between Dane and Swedish..:confused:
Hylean
To be honest, go with Norwegian, purely because out of the three mainland Scandinavian languages (Swedish, Danish and Norwegian), it gives you the most access to the other two. Swedish speakers cannot understand Danish so well, but Norwegian speakers can understand Swedish and Danish.

Finnish is not a Scandinavian language and many would argue it's not even a Nordic language.

Icelandic would be good if you want a challenge, but only opens up Iceland to you. Danish will not open up Iceland to you at all. They are taught it at school, but few keep it up to fluency.

Faroese only opens the Faroe Islands up to you.

I've studied Icelandic at UCL, and Swedish too, so I say go for whatever. Norwegian would give you greater access to the other languages, but it is your own choice.

dude, you are cool!! thanks for your advice that helps. which languages have you learned in total?:biggrin: it seems you are very interested in northen european countries. do you intend to live or work there after you graduate?
Reply 58
Well Swedish is my third language and I can understand about 60% in WRITTEN Danish and 70% of Norwegian, I'd guess these numbers would be higher if I were a native speaker.. Spoken I don't understand any Danish, but can communicate with Norwegians.
Ramanda
They're all right, Norwegians understand both Swedish and Danish, and can have conversations with both nations, whilst they seem to have more difficulties understanding each other. Finnish is completely different, I'm 100% Norwegian and can't understand a word. They don't speak very much English either, as Swe/Dan/Norwegian people does.

Another thing is that because of the oil-industry, I would recommend Norwegian. I've heard there's quite the opportunity to make a great deal of money, being able to speak Norwegian&Russian or Norwegian&Chinese. We do a great deal of business with both countries.

If my norwegian only reaches the primary level, will I be able to understand the basic conversations of danish and swedish? How are these three languages similar one another in terms of pronunciation, vocabulary and grammar? It sounds amazing~:woo:

Latest

Trending

Trending