Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Yogurt and Infertility!

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 7 followers

So I consume a lot of yogurt as I don't like milk (:rolleyes:, yes I know . . ).
    I have decided to not eat yogurt for a week to see if my skin will improve! After doing some research last night, on yogurt and acne, I came across two statements on yogurt and fertility.

The daily mail says the following:

Drinking a pint of semi-skimmed or skimmed milk or eating two pots of yoghurt a day almost doubles the risk of anovulatory infertility, in which women stop ovulating.

But a book from Lorraine Carangelo says this:

For 1-in-5 women experiencing difficulty getting pregnant, the underlying problem is anovulatory infertility (infertility caused by a failure to ovulate). But scientists at the Harvard School of Public Health tracked more than 18,000 women and found that those who consumed one or more daily servings of full-fat dairy foods (such as milk, ice cream or yogurt) slashed their risk of anovulatory infertility by up to 38%. While more research is needed to pinpoint the beneficial compounds in milk fat, experts note that, for women hoping to conceive, it doesn't hurt to make the switch to full-fat dairy.

Now im abit concerned as I have been eating yogurt for years and only recently starting to cut down, well im stopping @ the moment as im trying to improve my skin.

Does anyone have any idea if its good or bad? I have been trying to find more info, but I can't find anything else!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is probably slightly unreliable (I'm not very good at science and haven't done any background reading or anything) but people have been eating yoghurt and drinking milk for centuries, and we're currently having an overpopulation problem.

I think you'll be okay.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's referring to semi-skimmed & skimmed milk/yoghurt.

Eat full-fat products if you're worried.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yoghurt and milk contain the ingredient Linooloxin. It binds with germ cells in the testes and ovaries and reduces cell membrane fluidity and increases the probability of rupture. Linooloxin reacts with Uric acid in to form Lactisin, which passes right through you. You product up to 100mg of Uric acid a day which is excreted as urine. Drinking urine is not advised by doctor's because its a rather radical approach to prevent a small risk... However there are no down-sides to it as urine is 100% sterile. I've been drinking half a pint of my own urine daily for 5 years now.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about the truth of the statement but if you are worried about it why don't you try switching to soya milk and soya yoghurt? Sounds horrendous but I switched a year ago because I hoped it would improve my skin and it did. Plus I prefer the taste of it now!
    • 7 followers

(Original post by paperbag)
    This is probably slightly unreliable (I'm not very good at science and haven't done any background reading or anything) but people have been eating yoghurt and drinking milk for centuries, and we're currently having an overpopulation problem.

I think you'll be okay.
    Yes I understand that but I was consuming two yogurts a day - which according to the first statement is bad. But on the other statement is good!

Im just worrying should my time come to when I want to start having a family - will I have trouble conceiving because of the amount of yogurt I have been consuming!!

(Original post by jellybaby1)
    I don't know about the truth of the statement but if you are worried about it why don't you try switching to soya milk and soya yoghurt? Sounds horrendous but I switched a year ago because I hoped it would improve my skin and it did. Plus I prefer the taste of it now!
    Don't like soya

I think going to my GP about the acne and then asking about this query - might be a way forward.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)
    Yes I understand that but I was consuming two yogurts a day - which according to the first statement is bad. But on the other statement is good!

Im just worrying should my time come to when I want to start having a family - will I have trouble conceiving because of the amount of yogurt I have been consuming!!
    I think it's just when they aren't full fat. So don't eat low fat yogurts and you'll be fine. :yy:
    I wonder what the reasons are though. Babies/children aren't supposed to drink semi- or skimmed milk until about 2 or 3 as well right? I wonder if the reasons are linked. :hmmmm:
    • 7 followers

(Original post by EskimoJo)
    I think it's just when they aren't full fat. So don't eat low fat yogurts and you'll be fine. :yy:
    I wonder what the reasons are though. Babies/children aren't supposed to drink semi- or skimmed milk until about 2 or 3 as well right? I wonder if the reasons are linked. :hmmmm:
    I eat the muller light yogurts (which im guessing isn't full fat?) have done for yearssss odeary!

I didn't even mean to research this topic, but it came up in my google search for acne and yogurt! As my face has just overloaded with zits so I guessed they could be linked :dontknow: . . .

I think I have opened a can of worms which is just confusing! :woo:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I eat the muller light yogurts (which im guessing isn't full fat?) have done for yearssss odeary!

I didn't even mean to research this topic, but it came up in my google search for acne and yogurt! As my face has just overloaded with zits so I guessed they could be linked . . .

I think I have opened a can of worms
    which is just confusing!
    Eat those, those are good for fertility! :yy: :p:

So the acne's a new thing but the yogurt eating isn't? Have you recently started eating different yogurts? It's probably just hormones hun, I'm sure they'll go soon!
    • 7 followers

Eat those, those are good for fertility! :yy: :p:

So the acne's a new thing but the yogurt eating isn't? Have you recently started eating different yogurts? It's probably just hormones hun, I'm sure they'll go soon!
    :tongue: lol . . . Shall I just cut it down (after my no yog. week)? ie one every other day instead of 2 a day??? . .

My face was pretty much clear, I just got the odd one or two around when my period was due! I started eating two yogs. a day and my face has just got worse! Its not just one spot, its like a crop of them, I treat those and then I get another batch and they are painful as well! I also have spot marks/blemishes as well . So I thought im going to cut the yog. out for a week to see if that makes a difference and I have stopped using a St Ives facial scrub, which someone in F&B suggested it could also be that?!

:woo: its sooo frustrating - I have been battling with my face for yearsssss and I managed to control it and then ka-put it goes :woo:.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    lol . . . Shall I just cut it down (after my no yog. week)? ie one every other day instead of 2 a day??? . .

My face was pretty much clear, I just got the odd one or two around when my period was due! I started eating two yogs. a day and my face has just got worse! Its not just one spot, its like a crop of them, I treat those and then I get another batch and they are painful as well! I also have spot marks/blemishes as well . So I thought im going to cut the yog. out for a week to see if that makes a difference and I have stopped using a St Ives facial scrub, which someone in F&B suggested it could also be that?!

its sooo frustrating - I have been battling with my face for yearsssss and I managed to control it and then ka-put it goes .
    Aww! You seen a dermatologist?
    Nah, you need calcium, so yogurts are good if you can't drink milk and the thing you quoted seems to suggest there's only a problem with low fat yogurts anyway. If during this week the spots reduce, then maybe cutting down is a good idea though. Might need more than a week to see proper results btw and it will be confusing if you've stopped 2 things which might be causing the problem at the same time. If the spots stop, how will you know if it was the scrub or the yogurts causing them?

Have you not had exams recently? Maybe it's stress?
    • 7 followers

Aww! You seen a dermatologist?
    Nah, you need calcium, so yogurts are good if you can't drink milk and the thing you quoted seems to suggest there's only a problem with low fat yogurts anyway. If during this week the spots reduce, then maybe cutting down is a good idea though. Might need more than a week to see proper results btw and it will be confusing if you've stopped 2 things which might be causing the problem at the same time. If the spots stop, how will you know if it was the scrub or the yogurts causing them?

Have you not had exams recently? Maybe it's stress?
    I saw a Derm when I was 11-12/13 and I was prescribed some gel which I was basically using for yearssss (I only stopped using it last year because I couldn't be bothered to fork out £7.20 for something I use to get free :ninjagirl:) lol but maybe it might help if I went back on it or just asked to be referred to the Derm. again and see what else they can do? . . :dontknow:

Yea yog. is my only way of getting calcium into my bod. I can't stomach milk - it won't digest and comes back up (sowee to sound v un-lady like ). I was going to quit the facial scrub anyway as I was getting bored of it and it didn't last very long. So iv stuck to my clinique soap and the usual faff with it and i'll just sit and wait = see if anything works! (knowing my luck = it prob. wont, but im trying to think positively).

As for the stress aspect - nope didn't have any exams, finished uni back in March = so I don't think its that.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 21, 2009
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.