The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
if your good enough.. it won't matter. I nkow someone who got a 1st in cambridge for maths and hes now training to be a chef! grades arent everything!
Reply 2
twenty1
if your good enough.. it won't matter. I nkow someone who got a 1st in cambridge for maths and hes now training to be a chef! grades arent everything!

Don't know what you are on about there.

Some larger firms have certain minimum requirements of BBB at A level and a 2.1 at degree. It really depends what sector you want to work in.
Reply 3
depends what job you want really doesnt it and what the competition is.... if you're after the boring graduate 9-5 lifestyle then good luck. sounds boring to me
Reply 4
twenty1
depends what job you want really doesnt it and what the competition is.... if you're after the boring graduate 9-5 lifestyle then good luck. sounds boring to me

you still haven't answered the question at all. :rolleyes:
Reply 5
ditto
This question's been bothering me for a while....

How important are a-levels for employers? If i get a good degree but my a-level grades are average, how much will that affect employers' decision? And is it worth trying to improve a-level grades in some adult college?

Thanks in advance.

As otheres said, depends on where you work. At some bigger IBs, 24 ucas points is pretty much minimum and 28 is about standard.
Reply 6
TheWolf
As otheres said, depends on where you work. At some bigger IBs, 24 ucas points is pretty much minimum and 28 is about standard.

Yup, just to add, thats from a possible 30. So only your top 3 grades are counted. i.e. 24 pts = BBB, not CCCC.
Reply 7
So basically, even if you end up with a first degree you still won't get in if your A-level grades suck? In that case, would it be worth trying to improve the grades by doing some part time course in some adult college? And would employers care whether you achieved the grades you achieved later than most people?
Reply 8
where do u want to work?
Reply 9
My parents got a variety of good and average A-levels, and a 1st class degree. He still got a job. Both are important, however the degree classification is more important than A-levels. Furthermore, experience is also important too.
Reply 10
ditto
This question's been bothering me for a while....

How important are a-levels for employers? If i get a good degree but my a-level grades are average, how much will that affect employers' decision? And is it worth trying to improve a-level grades in some adult college?

Thanks in advance.

It really depends where you want to work. Some graduate schemes insist on a certain number of points at A-Level (and a certain grade at degree level). However, I think for many employers a good degree result is more important. I have had no problems with gaining employment after university, even with one failed A-Level. However, I started working after my M.Sc., so maybe that helped a little.

I'm rambling now, so will stop typing and ask the questions - what degree are you going to do? what type of job are you thinking of going for when you're finished? :smile:
Reply 11
I'm currently doing Financial Economics. Hoping to get a job in Finance somewhere.
Reply 12
ditto
So basically, even if you end up with a first degree you still won't get in if your A-level grades suck? In that case, would it be worth trying to improve the grades by doing some part time course in some adult college? And would employers care whether you achieved the grades you achieved later than most people?

It depends on what industry are you trying to get into? Because for IB & law and other competitive industries, retakes might still not be enough. Just to give you an example, a good friend of mine didnt do well at A-Levels and ended up doing Economics at Westminster. However at Westminster he straightened up and got himself a 1st, he also took his A-Levels again and got 3As. He also did some pretty decent work experience and on top of that he learnt a european foreign language. After all this he got rejected from all the IB firms (more than 20) that he applied to :frown: .

Wait .............. this story does have a happy ending :biggrin:

My friend later then decided to try for another industry and is now working for a top IT firm with a "very" decent salary :biggrin:

On the otherhand I know ppl from Kings, Imperial and LSE who all got a 2.2 and are now working for an IB. Just goes to show how naive some firms can be, especially those in very competitive industries.

However I would definately recommend that if you did get less than 24 points, then you should redo some A-Levels - if you think you can handle the extra work. Because it will defintely increase your chances to getting into a good graduate scheme, as it will show determination. However, remember that good work experience is also very important so do retake your Alevels but NOT at the expense of work experience.
Reply 13
ditto
I'm currently doing Financial Economics. Hoping to get a job in Finance somewhere.

If you're hoping to get on a graduate scheme within the finance industry it is most likely that you will need a certain number of points at A-Level. One suggestion would be to look at potential employers websites to gain an idea of what grades they are looking for, and then decide whether it is necessary for you to retake some exams. However, if you're about to start your degree you still have time to think about all this, so try not to let it worry you too much, just do some research so you know the facts and then decide what you think you have to do :smile:
Reply 14
Just how crap were your A Level's? Maybe you could do a few more at college?
Reply 15
@Foxo: i got 3 Cs so it's pretty crap even though not too crap.
If the minimum is 24 in most places then i guess i'd have to retake at least two of them.

@KingsComp: why did your mate get rejected? Is it because of Wesminster's reputation or because he resat the exams?
Reply 16
ditto
@KingsComp: why did your mate get rejected? Is it because of Wesminster's reputation or because he resat the exams?

Mostly because of Westminster's reputation, because top IB firms normally recruit from top 20 universities.

Also on the application form, you have to state whether it is a retake, although 3As upon retake will definately put you in good stead, it will still not make you equal to another person who got AAA or AAB first time round. Personally I would have thought that it would be better as the person has shown determination to redo them and do so well, unfortunately firms dont really look at it that way.

However, im only talking about top IB firms, if you want to go into finance, then Accountancy or Management Consultancy might be more suitable as they are less competitive.
Just to clear things up:

If you get a first A-levels are not really a problem. This is based on my experience of applying to several top graduate recruitment schemes with a first class honours degree and BBC at A-level.
Reply 18
Ok, i see.
Just one more thing: say i get a good degree in an average uni and then do an MSc in a top 20 uni and do well, you reckon that would get me in?
Reply 19
not really masters don't really add much to employment prospects

Latest

Trending

Trending