The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

School of Informatics - IRR and IRP courses

Hi, everybody!

I am strongly considering to accept my offer for the Artificial Intelligence Master.

One thing that stuns me is the fact that I will have to take the IRR and IRP courses. They are not regular courses about AI, they are more based on research on your own, and they gather together 40 points out of the whole 120! (they are worth 20 points each, however a normal course is only 10 points). So, instead of 4 AI regular courses, I end up with these 2. I didn't find such courses in other universities curricula, though.

How satisfied were you with them? I am a little disappointed, because I was intending to study more AI courses, but now, because these two are mandatory, my choices are much restricted.

Thank you!
Reply 1
I am holding a MSc Computer Science unconditional offer for 09/10.

In my opinion, actually instead of restricting your choices, those two give you much more freedom to study what you are interested in than any other kinds of courses, what you need to do is simply to find something really attracting you and then work on it to draw some interesting results.

As long as I am concerned, that's better than passively being inculcated. And you can learn more beyond the program provided by the school, like the ability of designing a good research independently while you are given an opportunity to think outside the box
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Latest

Trending

Trending