The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

NOT PROBABILITY! <== spent a day doing it in S1, I've concluded that probability is not my friend!

atm i'm liking Logs, Statics and good ol' fashioned algebra!
Complex numbers was intriguing
aphswarrior
The way that you say the names of the hyperbolic functions :smile:

Sounds like the way Sean Connery would say the normal ones.
Reply 23
Sequences & Series and summing - it came in useful to a question in a quiz!

Here it was:
What is the total number of all the numbers added together on a dartboard. (ie 1,2,3...19,20.)
I did it in about 3 seconds and all my team mates just stared at me. They all worked it out (the LONG way) and were confused for ages :smile:
you gotta love that part of maths. I thank you n over 2, times by a plus l!
Reply 24
the mixture of calculus, trig and algebra. :smile:
Reply 25
furry747
Sequences & Series and summing - it came in useful to a question in a quiz!

Here it was:
What is the total number of all the numbers added together on a dartboard. (ie 1,2,3...19,20.)
I did it in about 3 seconds and all my team mates just stared at me. They all worked it out (the LONG way) and were confused for ages :smile:
you gotta love that part of maths. I thank you n over 2, times by a plus l!

I hope you told them you did it the long way.
Reply 26
ShortRef
I hope you told them you did it the long way.

I told them I'm just amazing, and left it like that :smile:

The secrets' safe with me you guys :wink:
Reply 27
Vectors and Matrices....
Reply 28
Diophantine equations! :awesome: I love them :smile:

Also like probability, combinatorics, euclidean geometry.... but I'm not good at any of those, whereas my number theory skills are the sex :yep: (not really)
leaving the lesson :awesome:
Reply 30
reedy1990
Ive just finished my alevels,n while doing further maths i fell in love with solving second order differentials with variable coefficients,
and i was wondering what , if anything, anyone else enjoyed?

i love Trig and algebra, but ive just finished my gcses...du reckon i should do further maths for a level?
Anything that I can see and draw... I like Euclid geometry (not much in A level sadly), trig and vectors.
Tam85
i love Trig and algebra, but ive just finished my gcses...du reckon i should do further maths for a level?

Well if you are good at maths and ENJOY it (if you don't you will commit suicide at the sheer amount of mathsiness) then go for it! :yes:
MrShifty
Things are slowly changing with the growth of graph theory, but a fair number of mathematicians are still in the Bourbaki school of thinking, where things like geometry and combinatorics are to an extent looked down upon compared to 'high theory' approaches involving things like category theory.

Bourbaki didn't use category theory they based their work on set theory. Grothendieck left the group because they didn't want to change from set theory to category theory. So yeah, historically I don't see how that works.

All their books are based on set theory. Also, looking down at geometry really came about during the development of analysis and particularly Cauchy.

Back to the OP question. Anything that doesn't involves heavy calculation and isn't applied maths.
eeehhhhhh how can you like maths :s-smilie::
Reply 35
Proving by induction wasn't that bad...I quite enjoyed that. Didn't enjoy much in further maths but most things that include imaginary numbers I like...and it's good fun when the teacher asks and you don't know the answer, you can always come up with something stupid! :smile:
Reply 36
My old nemeses became my new lovers, trigonometry and integration. Although I do enjoy differentiating the crap out of certain functions. Reduction formulae in all their forms are also sexy too (i.e. not just for integration).
Reply 37
I'd have to go for abstract algebra, especially finite groups. Although I must say I find proving that something is a group is a highly tiresome exercise...
i think game theory is quite interesting. Especially if you can think up a way of beating a profit based game, like roulette! :biggrin: The main problem is they have got wise to it and if you are caught you get kicked out. It is interesting tp find the best methods to do even simple tasks, ie the best way to survive in a certain situation.
For some reason vectors really got me going earlier this year, It like revved up my maths engine then I started getting really good scores. My favourite is probably mechanics as I just find it really easy to make sense of it and I love applying maths to real-world problems.
I'm also self-teaching myself matrices atm and quite liking it.

Latest