The Student Room Group
Reply 1
LuhLah
I'm leaving school to do my 5 Highers in college. Will getting the Highers in college affect me applying/getting into university? I'm planning to go to Stirling to do Biology. Will it affect me getting into places like St Andrews ?

Doesn't make any difference.
Reply 2
Zedd
Doesn't make any difference.

Ok, I just hope the interview goes well now :woo:
Reply 3
I wouldn't advice it if it's your first round of highers because college is generally much more free and you have to self study and from people's experience it's harder to pass
Reply 4
Ronar
I wouldn't advice it if it's your first round of highers because college is generally much more free and you have to self study and from people's experience it's harder to pass

Meh, something I'll just have to get used to doing, I suppose. Prolly good preparation for university too.

It's a risk, and a challenge I'm willing to take.
Reply 5
Good for you. Going to college to do my highers was the best thing I could have done and I got 4/5 conditionals for uni, only getting rejected by Edinburgh.
Reply 6
Bit of a small problem, I'll only be able to do 3 highers this year, and then another 4 at another college next year, will it affect my chances of getting into uni at all? Will they give me a conditional for the next sitting?

(I really want to go to stirling: http://www.external.stir.ac.uk/undergrad/course_info/courses_ug/biology.php it says I need BBCC in highers, and I'll be doing higher human bio, English and psychology with int 2 maths, so say I get a AAB for those highers, will they be included or is it over one sitting?)
Reply 7
LuhLah
Bit of a small problem, I'll only be able to do 3 highers this year, and then another 4 at another college next year, will it affect my chances of getting into uni at all? Will they give me a conditional for the next sitting?

(I really want to go to stirling: http://www.external.stir.ac.uk/undergrad/course_info/courses_ug/biology.php it says I need BBCC in highers, and I'll be doing higher human bio, English and psychology with int 2 maths, so say I get a AAB for those highers, will they be included or is it over one sitting?)

Do you know why you can't take four highers this year?
Reply 8
Zedd
Do you know why you can't take four highers this year?

Well, at college it turns out they can only let ya do 4 subjects, and I need to do Int 2 maths.
Reply 9
LuhLah
Well, at college it turns out they can only let ya do 4 subjects, and I need to do Int 2 maths.

Int 2 is basically credit standard grade so what level of maths do you have at standard grade?
Reply 10
Nope, only did general as I was moved down. They said if you find int 2 easy, you can be bumped up to higher.
Reply 11
I would work hard then to do well enough in maths to move upto higher, if I were you. A lot of what you'll be doing in int.2 should be revision anyway.
Reply 12
Yeah, it looks a lot more sciency, which I can relate to more.
Reply 13
Hi guys Im really the parent of Foxy93 and looking for a bit of advice to the same subject about taking highers in college, my son was taking higher maths, physics, geography, chemistry and English. He has lost focus and will due to lack of encouragement through school and in the process has been dropped from taking his higher English, he's also not particularly wanted back at his school and visa versa due to negativity from teaching staff , can anyone advise me on best course of action to keep him in education maybe college to support him to get back on track with English and give him a positive outlook abut what to do next i.e. college !!!!!!!!!!!!:smile:
hi there, I am just finishing my highers in college just now and got offers from all my 5 choices, so it doesn't really make any difference in my opinion! I also think that me going to college is going to make the leap to uni easier because you are more independent in study at college. HTH xx
Reply 15
Foxy93
Hi guys Im really the parent of Foxy93 and looking for a bit of advice to the same subject about taking highers in college, my son was taking higher maths, physics, geography, chemistry and English. He has lost focus and will due to lack of encouragement through school and in the process has been dropped from taking his higher English, he's also not particularly wanted back at his school and visa versa due to negativity from teaching staff , can anyone advise me on best course of action to keep him in education maybe college to support him to get back on track with English and give him a positive outlook abut what to do next i.e. college !!!!!!!!!!!!:smile:

Are you sure it is the teaching staff that is causing him problems? I had problems with people at my school of course but it does sound like from what you are saying that he is perhaps not ready for the higher english course.

Now, I don't want to sound harsh but you cannot blame the teaching staff for students not wanting to work hard, a good teacher would never let a student leave the school if they were willing to put in the work, and try their very best. I do not know your son but it does sound like it is more him that is causing the problem than the staff as they will try their very hardest.

However if your son WANTS to persue a career with education college will generally like in university leave them to do what they like. At university there is noone to motivate you you get left with a deasline and that is it , take it or leave it.

College will be good if he wants to take control and try his best but if it is encouragment and attention personally he is needing I do not think university ior perhaps college is for him

Although I do not want you to loose hoope lol. if you can provide more details il try and help lol :smile:

Latest