The Student Room Group

Good books to read over the summer?

Im looking to boost my PS by reading some medical type books over the summer, is there any you guys could recommend? Im at the end of my AS year, and i dont want a huge book on the whole of medicine, just generally any good books that you would recommend

thanks in advance
Reply 1
What is the booster effect you actually want to have? You'll be wasting precious word limits on book titles if you mention them by name and it just looks like padding. The med schools would only be interested on what came after you read the book. They're not going to be impressed that you know how to turn a page.
The positive effect you can hope to gain from reading is something which affects the way you think about medicine etc. Hopefully you will be able to communicate that insight across in your personal statement, but listing the books themselves will not do you many favours.
giella
What is the booster effect you actually want to have? You'll be wasting precious word limits on book titles if you mention them by name and it just looks like padding. The med schools would only be interested on what came after you read the book. They're not going to be impressed that you know how to turn a page.
The positive effect you can hope to gain from reading is something which affects the way you think about medicine etc. Hopefully you will be able to communicate that insight across in your personal statement, but listing the books themselves will not do you many favours.

ok i understand what you are saying , but i want people to recommend me a book SO THAT i can gain some knowledge and insight into that particular area of medicine, e.g. new treatments for cancer e.t.c. I am not looking to just impress them with book names
Reply 3
There are some excellent suggestions in other threads, do a search and you'll find loads.
There was this one that a friend was reading. It was by a surgeon about his stories in theatre and stuff. He kept going on about it and said it was a good read. I'll try and find out what its called for you.

(He's doing medicine now btw.) :smile:
Reply 5
dogdogdogcatcat
Im looking to boost my PS by reading some medical type books over the summer, is there any you guys could recommend? Im at the end of my AS year, and i dont want a huge book on the whole of medicine, just generally any good books that you would recommend

thanks in advance

I like the attitude dude :yes:, no need to hit the huge books.

Jed mercurio-bodies
Samuel shem-house of god
Bedside Stories: Confessions of a Junior Doctor
Trust me I'm a junior doctor
digitalis
I like the attitude dude :yes:, no need to hit the huge books.

Jed mercurio-bodies
Samuel shem-house of god
Bedside Stories: Confessions of a Junior Doctor
Trust me I'm a junior doctor

QFT. I can highly reccomend Trust me, I'm a junior doc and House of god as well. Gave me a real insight into what life is actualy like as a junior doc and will hopefully give me something to write about in my personal statement since I realised just how much work it is as a junior doc, but that I still want to do it so much, even though I know just how much it's going to take.
Reply 7
there's a list of books people have recommended in the past here