The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You will get more replies if you post this in the medical forum.

For medicine you will need Chemistry A2 and having Biology will give you a lot more options when choosing where to apply to. You will need at least AAB, but a lot of places now want AAA.

As well as academics, work experience is important, and depending on where you apply you will have to do admissions tests eg. ukcat.
Reply 2
What A-levels are required for medical school? I know each Med school has various different requirments, but whats the most common? And also which ones should I take to A2 and which ones to AS.

Thanks in advance
Reply 3
for ur A2 u must have chemistry and biology and another sience of ur choise maths/physics (this is optional for A2 but u must have 4 some univirsities in AS) .. 4 AS u can have more sciences or other subjects such as languages/history/geogaphy/economics
Reply 4
Chemistry and further maths are compulsory to A2.
Reply 5
AnonyMatt
Chemistry and further maths are compulsory to A2.

I hope you're joking about the latter (a lot of schools don't even offer further maths.)

MedSchoolsOnline has a table of what universities require.

The majority require chemistry and most want biology. You don't need 3 sciences (with the exception of maybe one) and no medical school requires maths.
Reply 6
Meltdown30
I hope you're joking about the latter (a lot of schools don't even offer further maths.)

Meerly a feeble attempt at trolling in rebellion to the question that could have been answered by the search function ma'am. :smile:
Reply 7
AnonyMatt
Meerly a feeble attempt at trolling in rebellion to the question that could have been answered by the search function ma'am. :smile:

Good good. :p: Because you mentioned chemistry too it was harder to tell if you were joking!
OP, Bio and/or Chem are usually required. But then you already knew that anyway. Different med schools have different entry requirements - this too, it would seem, you already know. So really, what's the point in asking? For what you don't already know, Google is your friend :yep:

(A Mythbuster, for the record: Unless otherwise stated in the entry requirements, 4 Sciences @ AS/A2 =/= Offer)
ioanna7
for ur A2 u must have chemistry and biology and another sience of ur choise maths/physics (this is optional for A2 but u must have 4 some univirsities in AS) .. 4 AS u can have more sciences or other subjects such as languages/history/geogaphy/economics

You don't need a third science at A-level.

Some universities prefer 3 sciences, some prefer a humanities/languages/arts subject.

Not all require Biology AND chemistry at A2, most do though.
As for which ones to take to A2, do subjects you enjoy (and are likely to do well in - I guess the two usually correlate) - as well as those that fulfil the entry requirements, of course. For me, that entailed taking French along with Bio/Chem @ A2
ioanna7

Not really. You don't even need biology and chemistry A-level as there are four or five medical schools who only ask for a minimum of one of those providing the other is at GCSE or, sometimes, AS (Newcastle, Durham, Peninsula and UEA being four). Enough to make an application out of, although choices will still be limited. There may be one or two who will ask for/prefer a third science but not many. With just Chemistry and Biology (and two non-sciences, say geography and philosophy) then you can still apply to the majority.

Also please don't use text speak. It's against forum rules and is difficult to read. Thank you :smile:

OP, this has been asked many times before so there will be threads you can look at in the medicine forum. But it may be worth checking the wiki also.

The medicine degree guide

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_at_University#Grades

And a matrix of all medical schools and their requirements. It should be up to date but always check with individual universities to confirm.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements
bio, chem and one other subject eg an arts
Reply 13
You will get more replies if you have done the most simple bit of research yourself.
Reply 14
dumbgeek
I want to become a GP, i know for this you have to attend medical school.

I know different med schools ask for different grades and subjects, but what is the general requirements for med school? i.e. what subjects at level and what grades?

thanks

Look at the pink FAQ in the announcements section at the top of the forum - it should answer a lot of your questions.
dumbgeek

I want to become a GP, i know for this you have to attend medical school. 1

I know different med schools ask for different grades and subjects, but what is the general requirements for med school? 2

1. Well done! That is an excellent deduction that you have made there! Why do you want to become a GP, pray?

2.) Obviously you don't know. Because if you did, you would find a remarkable consistency.
Reply 16
digitalis
1. Well done! That is an excellent deduction that you have made there! Why do you want to become a GP, pray?

2.) Obviously you don't know. Because if you did, you would find a remarkable consistency.

I think you need to sort your facts out a "remarkable consistency" some med schools ask for Chem to AS and others to A2. I actually counted and its half way down the middle.

And whats your problem about me wanting to be a GP?
dumbgeek
And whats your problem about me wanting to be a GP?
You're like four years old yet you've somehow already managed to rule out every other speciality when you obviously...
a) haven't finished your GCSEs
b) haven't even decided on your A-Level options
c) haven't experienced medical school to discover Medicine in its entirety
d) watch that awful 'Doctors' television soap opera on BBC1

So, why are you set on becoming a GP?

I think you need to sort your facts out a "remarkable consistency" some med schools ask for Chem to AS and others to A2. I actually counted and its half way down the middle.

I can't be arsed to do the calculations you have so adeptly done. Fact is, you need Chemistry to some advanced level and at least AAB/AAA to get an offer. So how about we discuss those consistencies to detail now?
Reply 19
!MEna
You're like four years old yet you've somehow already managed to rule out every other speciality when you obviously...
a) haven't finished your GCSEs
b) haven't even decided on your A-Level options
c) haven't experienced medical school to discover Medicine in its entirety
d) watch that awful 'Doctors' television soap opera on BBC1

So, why are you set on becoming a GP?

I think you are being very unfair to the OP. They have obviously found a career they are interested in, and however this has come about, they certainly do not have to justify their decision to you or anyone else on an internet forum. If they want to be a GP, great. Its the starting block for them to discover more about it and look into Medicine as a whole. We all have to spark off an interest from somewhere. As for "haven't experienced medical school to discover medicine in its entirety," I see that you are not even a medical student yourself. So what exactly qualifies you to make assumptions about this at all? And, who gives a **** what they watch on tv? You call yourself a Scrubs fanatic, do you think thats any better?

The main issue here is that the OP hasn't done much research by themselves, so they should be looking at university websites, careers sections of the library, etc. Also, OP, have a look at www.medschoolsonline.co.uk, you will find a wealth of information on each med school's requirements. Aswell as that you will find loads of info, faq's and suchlike from the wonderful stickied threads at the top of the Medicine forum. Good luck.

Latest

Trending

Trending