The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i believe they don't tell you? I don't know... quite interested in what people's results are, since this is their first year
Reply 2
well they do tell you - today infact, but they dont really tell you very much / its hard to know if your result is good or bad?
Well I for one did not do well at all - way below the average. So I think I can kiss Irish universities good bye >:frown:
Reply 4
zdo0o
quote so you read cba editing

what is cba editing??
Reply 5
zdo0o
it gives your score, then a percentile to compare it with other people.

E.G. if they just said "you got 150" then that's like "oh...ok?" but if they said "you got 150, and your percentile is xx" then you know the amount of people above/below you. percentile of 50 means equal people above below (so if lets say 10000 people took it, 5000 got less than you, 5000 above).

also as it says on the example to the right, higher is better, so a percentile of 80 means you beat (or drew with) 80% of people, percentile of 40 means you beat 40% of people. and obviously you want to beat as many people as possible!

yes clearly, but how will that rank in the grand scale of things eg whee will the cut off lie - of course no one knows which makes it hard to gain any real perspective on the result
Reply 6
It is generally believed that anything below the 720 mark is considered not quite good enough... this is the impression i have been getting from other forums. 4 A's at A-Level equals 560 points. AAAB is 556 points etc. Then you add that to your HPAT scores and you get your overall... so its a combination of both the A-Level/Leaving Cert and the HPAT results that earns your place.

E.G - AAAB = 556. HPAT = 164 - OVERALL - 556+164 = 720.
oic, anybody here applied to tcd then?
Reply 8
i did! i've applied to all 5 med schools actually. is 19th percentil good enough? i'm sure i have good A levels but i'm really worried about my horrific score in the hpat. i normally do much better than this. :frown:
anonylucy
i did! i've applied to all 5 med schools actually. is 19th percentil good enough? i'm sure i have good A levels but i'm really worried about my horrific score in the hpat. i normally do much better than this. :frown:

I also did badly in the HPAT, and apparently they only take people in the top 20 percent, so the 80th percentile and above. I'm not sure though, but I've stopped hoping that I'l get in :frown:
Reply 10
oh sorry, i'm in the 81st percentile, i mean't top 19th..... whooops! so, do you think i'll get in on that? i fear i'll get so close and just miss it by a whisper!
anonylucy
oh sorry, i'm in the 81st percentile, i mean't top 19th..... whooops! so, do you think i'll get in on that? i fear i'll get so close and just miss it by a whisper!

haha why'd you call that horrific? :rolleyes: Obviously no one here knows, but it definitely sounds like you could make it in. Good luck :yep:
anonylucy

best of luck! which is your top choice?
Reply 13
the list goes like this:

trinity
UCD
cork
RCSI
galway

i don't even know why i chose them like that! i don't even like cork at all.... oh well too late now.

i'll keep you guys posted, but i'm not getting my hopes up.
Reply 14
vanilla camel
haha why'd you call that horrific? :rolleyes: Obviously no one here knows, but it definitely sounds like you could make it in. Good luck :yep:

erm, i may be panicing a bit! hopefully, but i'm so scared! by the way thanks for the luck guys! either way i'm sure i'll need it. :rolleyes:
vanilla camel
I also did badly in the HPAT, and apparently they only take people in the top 20 percent, so the 80th percentile and above. I'm not sure though, but I've stopped hoping that I'l get in :frown:

where did ye hear that from?
billykwok
where did ye hear that from?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...249340275.html

:woo:

o i dont have an account.. so is it just for tcd or is it for all universities? How is your application going?
Reply 18
here's an easier link, same article i think.

http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=91&Itemid=156

but i mean you never know. lots of people won't make the grades. i still don't feel safe even in the top 20%. it's a weird system, it really is.
Reply 19
it's for all irish med schools and it's not like the ukcat where a uni might discount your score or you can make it up in other areas. my cousin and his friends have worked really hard to get maximum grades (points as they call it in ireland) and they're not in the top 20% so they feel they're out and there's nothing they can do. it's not fair and it's not a very accurate test im my humble opinion.

Latest