The Student Room Group

Personal Statement, including parents are doctors

ok well I'm trying to write my personal statement for medicine and basically I am wondering whether to include that my parents are doctors. I'm kind of cautious because I don't want the admissions tutor to think I was pressurised into choosing medicine (which I wasn't lol). I want to say how my parents have acted as an inspiration for me to go on and study it. So I am wondering if I should include the fact my parents are doctors or am I better off leaving it out?

Scroll to see replies

Don't do it.
Reply 2
I wouldn't. You should have enough work and voluntary experience to reflect on, to back up why you want to be a doctor, without having to refer to your parents - it almost implies that medicine was an automatic choice rather than a considered one.
Reply 3
Don't =)
Reply 4
ok lol thanks
Yeah don't, you don't want them to think that your one of those "Daddy's a doctor so I must be too type people."

If I decide to do medicine I will steer way clear of that. (Both my parents are doctors too and siblings).
Reply 6
No, don't include that. It's too risky to be worth it.
Reply 7
Take it other relatives that may have inspired you are a big no too then? I was going to write something my grampa told me about his medical training when I was little as like the pening line. Not a good idea?
Reply 8
acas13
Take it other relatives that may have inspired you are a big no too then? I was going to write something my grampa told me about his medical training when I was little as like the pening line. Not a good idea?

That sounds ok, tbh.

OP, you could talk about being inspired by relatives who work in healthcare, but maybe don't actually say they are doctors or anything specific. You have to say what you have learnt from them and how your experiences have helped you to make the decision to do Medicine.
If your going to talk about anything you have learnt from them refer to them as a doctors you have observed, just dont say they are your parents
Don't

The interview in which I mentioned it by mistake was the one I was shot down in flames
crazylemon

The interview in which I mentioned it by mistake was the one I was shot down in flames

I used it in 3 interview to explore the negatives of the career. It really depends on exactly what you mention and how you discuss it.

If in doubt...leave it out :yes:
crazyferret
I used it in 3 interview to explore the negatives of the career. It really depends on exactly what and how you discuss it.

If in doubt...leave it out :yes:

I was already in trouble in the interview :p:

It was more of a killing blow :p:

Risky to use though can pay off
crazylemon
I was already in trouble in the interview :p:

It was more of a killing blow :p:

You could have just threatened to squirt 'em in the eye with your juice :p:
crazyferret
You could have just threatened to squirt 'em in the eye with your juice :p:

:rofl:

I think not :p:
I have a question, off topic but still.

I'd like to write down about how I have considered chemistry and research having spent a weeks work experience working in a lab but ultimatly decided that medicine is 100% for me. Is this a good thing to put down (not blindly applying to med) or bad (shows lack of commitment)?
Reply 16
swiftplay
ok well I'm trying to write my personal statement for medicine and basically I am wondering whether to include that my parents are doctors. I'm kind of cautious because I don't want the admissions tutor to think I was pressurised into choosing medicine (which I wasn't lol). I want to say how my parents have acted as an inspiration for me to go on and study it. So I am wondering if I should include the fact my parents are doctors or am I better off leaving it out?

I would never mention it if I were you. People usually look at that in a negative way than a positive!
How come everyone is so negative about the whole idea? :p:

I mentioned in my PS how i was from a very medically inclined family and i still managed two interviews. The other two interviews i didn't manage to get where from the BMAT unis and I failed the BMAT so i didn't really stand a chance anyway. At both interviews too, I was asked how this would make me a better doctor and i remember mentioning how it showed my the stressful nature of the career, how much work is involved even outside the hospital, and somethng about the importance of a good work-social life balance. Didn't think it affected my chances that much at those unis.

Tbh, i think its the way you phrase it in your PS/at interview. I was discouraged from writing it in my PS at school but i stood by my guns and included it. Having said that, i was adamant i wanted to include it so if you're not too sure about how it would come across if you said it, I'd leave it out. On the other hand, if you really think it has helped you make an informed decision about a career in medicine, then I'd say include it.
I wouldn't
Reply 19
RollerBall
I have a question, off topic but still.

I'd like to write down about how I have considered chemistry and research having spent a weeks work experience working in a lab but ultimatly decided that medicine is 100% for me. Is this a good thing to put down (not blindly applying to med) or bad (shows lack of commitment)?

I would say its good thing because you explored other career paths before making an informed choice. I previously wanted to be a vet but my animal-related work experience taught me that I enjoyed working with people a lot more. I also worked in a vet lab and often challenged my bosses at how veterinary research could help humans too.

Definately put all your experiences down.

Latest

Trending

Trending