The Student Room Group

Campus vs City Universities? (pros/cons)

I'm in year 12 and in the process of looking at universities to study Law. Could you give me some pros/cons of both campus & city because I am not sure where I'd like to study. :confused:

Please share your experiences and tell me why you'd prefer one over the other, if that's the case! Thanks a lot :h:

Unis on my list as of now:
Warwick
Birmingham
Queen Mary University London
Bristol
Southampton
Kent
Keele
Liverpool

(I am aware I only get 5 choices. :smile: )

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I picked a campus university becase when I was at glasgow university I didn't feel like they wanted me there, got a bit lost and realised anywaya that stirling is awesome for philosophy

Tbh someone's pro's and con's might be the opposite for you, but I was convinced I was going to glasgow then I visited :P
Use the search function, there have been tons of these threads before, and they'll have more information.
Reply 3
I went on an Open Day to Warwick - great uni, great courses but campus was very modern and grey... also that campus is several miles away from the nearest city... which isn't even Warwick!

I do like campus unis such as York and Reading (at Reading as soon as you're off the campus you're into town). Sheffield was a nice city one but a lot of walking up hills would have been involved!
Reply 4
Totally depends on your personalities:

Significant Features of Campus Unis:
-All students
-Safer atmosphere and easy to get around
-Often have accessible student unions, gyms, bars on campus, easy to get to lectures

Cities
-More lively, often more choice of where to go out
-No need for buses home
-Sometimes seen as more "wild" but easier to get lost!

Whichever you'd prefer depends entirely on your personality. It's essential to visit, too; I thought I'd hate campuses but I ended up loving them more than city unis.
Reply 5
Joanna May
Use the search function, there have been tons of these threads before, and they'll have more information.

thanks, I searched first but did not find much to be honest..
campus uni
everything is in one place, take you a few mins to walk to lectures from halls, or to the su

city uni
its not all in one places, your halls may be in end of the city, and lectures in the other
Reply 7
robinson999
campus uni
everything is in one place, take you a few mins to walk to lectures from halls, or to the su

city uni
its not all in one places, your halls may be in end of the city, and lectures in the other

thanks a lot Rob! :p:
i am really leaning towards a campus uni that is situated very close to the city, so i can get best of both worlds...!
Reply 8
Jinxy
thanks a lot Rob!
i am really leaning towards a campus uni that is situated very close to the city, so i can get best of both worlds...!

In that case, Uni of Nottingham fits the bill.
Reply 9
simeon

As do loads and loads of others. :p:
Just go to Kent. It´s law school is fantastic and it´s an amazing (campus) uni :P
Reply 11
ChicaBonita
Just go to Kent. It´s law school is fantastic and it´s an amazing (campus) uni :P

kent is one of my choices, its only 2 hours away train from where i live, so far enough to escape home but not TOO far :smile:

what do you think is so great about Cant.campus? :smile:
Reply 12
simeon

do you do Law at Notts? Also i thought they took GCSE grades really seriously and wanted mostly A*/A or is that just the case for Medicine? I got mostly A/B at gcse.
Reply 13
you could go to a uni which has a campus in a city
then you get best of both as such
good examples are cardiff, leeds, liverpool, aston

i personally think campuses are better as they give you the 'proper' uni feel
Jinxy
thanks a lot Rob! :p:

it depends what you want, if you want to go to london then it be a city campus uni, unless you go queen mary's which is campus based in a city

campus uni are nice, i go to one :p: only down side when you move out of halls you no longer have that 2-3 min walk to lectures, it becomes 25-35 mins to walk :p:
Reply 15
Birmingham in my opinion is the perfrect fusion of campus and city, and has a great Law school. I fell in love with it.
Reply 16
will274
Birmingham in my opinion is the perfrect fusion of campus and city, and has a great Law school. I fell in love with it.

Right now B'ham is probably my first choice! :h:
I keep hearing such good things about it and apparently the campus is lovely as well and very easy to get to the city by train!
I am really not sure if academically i'm capable of getting an offer though, because my GCSE's were just average. I'm expecting to do far better now i'm doing a level, though. :smile: thanks for the reply !

robinson999
it depends what you want, if you want to go to london then it be a city campus uni, unless you go queen mary's which is campus based in a city

campus uni are nice, i go to one :p: only down side when you move out of halls you no longer have that 2-3 min walk to lectures, it becomes 25-35 mins to walk :p:

Thank yous :p:

and long time no talk...how're you getting along :smile:?
Jinxy
kent is one of my choices, its only 2 hours away train from where i live, so far enough to escape home but not TOO far :smile:

what do you think is so great about Cant.campus? :smile:

You get an amazing social life as we have loads of bars and a nightclub on campus so you don´t have to pay to travel home, loads of accom on campus and right near, the town itself is beautiful, we have rabbits running around all over the place, you can get to your lectures easily, lots of jobs in the SU....I couldn´t recommend it highly enough, but obviously it´s your choice :smile:
Reply 18
ChicaBonita
You get an amazing social life as we have loads of bars and a nightclub on campus so you don´t have to pay to travel home, loads of accom on campus and right near, the town itself is beautiful, we have rabbits running around all over the place, you can get to your lectures easily, lots of jobs in the SU....I couldn´t recommend it highly enough, but obviously it´s your choice :smile:

thanks a lot, really helpful in hearing from someone who actually goes there atm :smile: and omg rabbits - i am actually sold haha!:p:
Jinxy
thanks a lot, really helpful in hearing from someone who actually goes there atm :smile: and omg rabbits - i am actually sold haha!:p:

You really have no idea haha. They are so cute, cheer you up when you´re down, and when you´re drunk-OMG. On the way back from the club, or even just randomly, so many people try to catch them, you see people running all over the fields after rabbits- as far as I know no one´s ever been successful haha.

But really, I had such an amazing time this year- I would recommend you go and visit next year :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending