The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

generalebriety
Practise, and ask when you're stuck.

No but you said don't practice AEA stuff yet, so what should I go into? Remember I haven't done further maths yet! :o:
cruciform
No but you said don't practice AEA stuff yet, so what should I go into? Remember I haven't done further maths yet! :o:

You could try some AEA specimen paper.....or maybe attempt some STEP questions
abcxyz6666
You could try some AEA specimen paper.....or maybe attempt some STEP questions

That is still AEA though! Also how can I do STEP if I haven't done further maths?
Reply 23
STEP I does not require further maths but the questions will seem difficult if you're only used to A level questions.

Why not get some papers and have a look?

Meanwhile maybe you'd like to try try this.

How many five-digit numbers are there whose digits sum to 39?

The answer is 210.

More like a puzzle out of a newspaper isn't it. Not very representative of STEP actually.
Reply 24
cruciform
what would you recommend me to do to get up to those standards?:s-smilie:

STEP I doesn't require knowledge of Further Maths. STEP II generally also doesn't require knowledge of Further Maths but topics may come up occasionally (such as Induction.) This is not an issue, look at how much effort it took me to get up to standard, and I had to go over and learn bits of FP3 for STEP III.

Find the AEA papers and do them first, if there is anything you don't understand, ask, and people will help you. You will get the hang of it, you really need to be more confident, though, don't worry about whether you're good enough, you probably are so go for it!
generalebriety
Practise, and ask when you're stuck.

Alright, how about I do M2 as I said earlier, since I haven't done this module and I like mechanics even though it can be hard, it will really get the spark in me again to get my passion fired up. Then I'll go into STEP papers and then eventually try AEA papers, how about that? Can this all be achieved within a three month vacational period?:s-smilie:
Reply 26
Do AEA first
Reply 27
cruciform
I've just completed my A2 year, I'm doing a foundation year next year as I'm on track for a solid BBB, I don't think I got the grade in C4 to get the A plus I don't do further maths so I need it.:frown:
However, I'm worried I'm not natural enough to do a course in Maths, what do you think? If you can't tell than ask me certain questions and then deduct whether I am natural or not. Am I strong enough for an AEA, that exam is unheard of in my school, would I be capable if I'm A/B borderline?:confused:

Try this question. It's from OCR C4 Jan 2008 question 7 and is fairly unusual compared to the sort of questions they usually ask. Please say if you've already seen this question:

(i) Given that A(sinθ+cosθ)+B(cosθsinθ)4sinθA(\sin \theta + \cos \theta) + B(\cos \theta - \sin \theta) \equiv 4 \sin \theta, find the values of the constants A and B. (3 marks)

(ii) Hence find the exact value of 014π4sinθsinθ+cosθdθ\displaystyle \int^{\frac{1}{4}\pi}_0 \dfrac{4 \sin \theta}{\sin \theta + \cos \theta} d \theta, giving your answer in the form aπlnba \pi - \ln b. (5 marks)
cruciform
Alright, how about I do M2 as I said earlier, since I haven't done this module and I like mechanics even though it can be hard, it will really get the spark in me again to get my passion fired up. Then I'll go into STEP papers and then eventually try AEA papers, how about that? Can this all be achieved within a three month vacational period?:s-smilie:

psssshhhhh

OMFG - just take the advice and look at an AEA paper right NOW and whatever you do DON'T look at the markscheme but think about the method. You will find this difficult at first. Spend a full hour without looking at the MS then look at it for hints but don't read more than one line.

Rinse and repeat

Learning moore maths is not going to make you stronger - thinking about more maths is.

Get to work
DeanK22
psssshhhhh

OMFG - just take the advice and look at an AEA paper right NOW and whatever you do DON'T look at the markscheme but think about the method. You will find this difficult at first. Spend a full hour without looking at the MS then look at it for hints but don't read more than one line.

Rinse and repeat

Learning moore maths is not going to make you stronger - thinking about more maths is.

Get to work

yeah but M2 I heard is hard, more than M1, so wouldn't it be good as harder material? Also I've only done up to C1-C4, M1, S1,, no further maths, I can't dive into an AEA without further maths can I? Also how long will it take me to get me up to standard? After AEA would it mean I'm a capable mathematician or not i.e. still need to go through Step 1 and 2...
cruciform
yeah but M2 I heard is hard, more than M1, so wouldn't it be good as harder material? Also I've only done up to C1-C4, M1, S1,, no further maths, I can't dive into an AEA without further maths can I? Also how long will it take me to get me up to standard? After AEA would it mean I'm a capable mathematician or not i.e. still need to go through Step 1 and 2...

wow. How difficult is this;

Open the paper online (look at a question). Try and do the question. Get better cuz you had to think about it.

M" would not be harder nor better - all it is physical knowledge thrown into maths that you already know - you aren't learning new methods (learning new methods isn't entirely important - you want to be a good problem solver and think deeply about the maths you are doing and have done).

Yes you will notice yourself if you are better.

What is your obsesion with asking us whether you will get better. We can't tell you - all I can tell you is if you keep asking questions and doing nothing then you will remain the same.
The best thing you can do is to see if you can sketch graphs correctly and do elementary algebra. If you can do both of them then you will be alright.

This forum is full of maths behaviourist. Practice itself won't do anything.

The best thing you can do is notice how the questions itself is structured and try to structure your thought around that. If you notice in C4 you don't really need to do lots of calculations as it normally part iii normally follows from part i and ii. So if you can see how to use what you have previously worked out and know to solve the problem that would be good.

The best thing to do is try and see cause an effect of the question instead of just becoming Pavlov's dog.

P.S. Yeah, saying that this is hard to learn as I noticed that on FP2 but then still done worse then I should then I only really learnt it when doing FP4 which went really well, I think.
DeanK22
wow. How difficult is this;

Open the paper online (look at a question). Try and do the question. Get better cuz you had to think about it.

M" would not be harder nor better - all it is physical knowledge thrown into maths that you already know - you aren't learning new methods (learning new methods isn't entirely important - you want to be a good problem solver and think deeply about the maths you are doing and have done).

Yes you will notice yourself if you are better.

What is your obsesion with asking us whether you will get better. We can't tell you - all I can tell you is if you keep asking questions and doing nothing then you will remain the same.

Fine, I'll take your advice, I'm gonna do some AEA in the evening then, intense. Thanks a lot!:smile: :cool: I hope 3 months later I can say I've improved!
Reply 33
Well i dunno if this is what you want to hear but in my opinion you can't. I was always told that you can either see the answers or not but you can't fake being good at maths.
cruciform
Fine, I'll take your advice, I'm gonna do some AEA in the evening then, intense. Thanks a lot!:smile: :cool: I hope 3 months later I can say I've improved!

Sure - just remember that perserverence really is key when you start off; whatever you do do not give up.
cruciform

AEA and STEP I/II don't need any further maths knowledge
Reply 36
DeanK22
Sure - just remember that perserverence really is key when you start off; whatever you do do not give up.

This. When I first started doing STEP questions I had not the faintest idea where to even begin, and it was only have a year of solid work later that I began making any real progress.