The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anonymous
anon or delete please.

basically i have phimosis, and have known for a long time. but i want to get it sorted this summer. ive tried other methods so i want to get a circumcision. got a couple of qs though:

1 - is it easy to get it done with the nhs? can i just talk to my gp to get it done?
2 - how much sensitivity will i lose?

:o:

I believe that it is quite easy to have your Phimosis treated on the NHS with a circumcision and for this to occur you ought to go and see your GP as it will be him/her that will initially investigate your condition and then decide on treatment which may well be a referral for a circumcision. Seeing as you've tried other methods, officially / unofficially?, it may well be that you'll require one.

About getting it done over the summer, the sooner you see your GP the faster you'll get seen and treated.

Can't help with your second question.
You'll be fine.
n1r4v
Assuming it's not for religious reasons, why out of curiosity?

Done properly there's no side effects, and it's cleaner/healthier.
Reply 4
Is this going to turn into a thread about religion and circumcision then, knowing TSR?
humz2
Is this going to turn into a thread about religion and circumcision then, knowing TSR?

No,if it does I'll certainly report it for once. This thread is for responses to the posters health conundrum,all other things can kindly **** off.
Reply 6
ThisLittlePiggy
No,if it does I'll certainly report it for once. This thread is for responses to the posters health conundrum,all other things can kindly **** off.

I applaud you :clap2:
Reply 7
I was circumcised as a toddler for medical reasons, in terms of sensitivity I have no basis for comparison but you will find yourself using lubricant more - but it's no big deal.
Reply 8
apparently, i had a friend who got circumsized for the same reason and he said that it enhanced pleasure :s-smilie: im a girl so i wouldnt really know (or would WANT to know lool) how it feels. but he's been pretty boastful about it...personally, i think everybodys different and whether or not its enhanceful in terms of pleasure, i know its hygienically benficial and healthy :smile:
Reply 9
ok well ill try and get to the gp this week or next, and let my little guy breathe for the first time in his life! :p:
Reply 10
i forgot, is it free with the nhs?
Reply 11
if it is medically necessary, than it is free...otherwise, if your doing it for religious or other purposes which are not medical (which i doubt you are), then theres a small fee to pay :smile: heres a link to help you find out more...

http://www.nhs24.com/content/default.asp?page=s5_4&articleID=649&sectionID=30

hope it helps :smile:
Reply 12
This thread is not to discuss the merits or issues with childhood circumcision.

Stick to the queries the OP has.
Reply 13
Anonymous
anon or delete please.

basically i have phimosis, and have known for a long time. but i want to get it sorted this summer. ive tried other methods so i want to get a circumcision. got a couple of qs though:

1 - is it easy to get it done with the nhs? can i just talk to my gp to get it done?

1- well its not hard to get it done, but it will be really painful if you didnt get it done as a kid.
2- you wont lose much sensitivity :biggrin:
Reply 14
Anonymous
anon or delete please.

I don't know how sexually experienced you are, but I know that my foreskin is an extremely sensitive and pleasurable part of my sexual anatomy. I would not want to lose it.

However, if you deem it medically necessary, then it should be relatively easy on the NHS, and I think it should possibly be prioritised over sexual sensitivity.
Bubbles*de*Milo

Don't you think they should be able to choose whether they wan't foreskin or not?

I had it done about 6 months ago.

1. Extremely easy to get done, just go an see you GP. It's free.
2. You don't lose any sexual pleasure, in fact I would say it's more pleasurable now. It's not painful at all, either. Little uncomfortable for about a week, but that's it.
Reply 16
Bubbles*de*Milo

It is *NOT* cleaner or healthier.

How clean your penis is depends on how much care and attention you give to it, it does NOT depend on whether or not you have foreskin. It's just as easy for a circumsised person to have an unhygienic penis as it is for those of us with foreskins, and similarly, it's just as easy to have a clean and healthy penis with a foreskin as it is to have one without a foreskin. The hygienic advantages of which you preach have absolutely no scientific, statistical or otherwise evidential basis whatsoever.

Secondly, there have been cases of a loss of sexual sensitivity.

Thirdly, there have been cases of death by infection that would not have manifested itself were it not for circumcision, and this is not related to how 'well' the procedure is done. The removal of any appendage is subject to an increased risk of infection, regardless of how the procedure itself is carried out.
Phugoid

How clean your penis is depends on how much care and attention you give to it, it does NOT depend on whether or not you have foreskin. It's just as easy for a circumsised person to have an unhygienic penis as it is for those of us with foreskins, and similarly, it's just as easy to have a clean and healthy penis with a foreskin as it is to have one without a foreskin. The hygienic advantages of which you preach have absolutely no scientific, statistical or otherwise evidential basis whatsoever.

Thirdly, there have been cases of death by infection that would not have manifested itself were it not for circumcision, and this is not related to how 'well' the procedure is done. The removal of any appendage is subject to an increased risk of infection, regardless of how the procedure itself is carried out.

Yes, it is more hygienic. Women with circumcised partners have a lower rate of cervical cancer than those without, etc... It's not hearsay.
Phugoid

I agree with letting someone decide if they want it or not but:

1. I've had it done, and I can tell you it's FAR easier to clean now than it was before hand. It doesn't require the same level of cleaning either.

2. I experience more pleasure now than I did before I had it done.
Reply 19
Bubbles*de*Milo
Yes, it is more hygienic. Women with circumcised partners have a lower rate of cervical cancer than those without, etc... It's not hearsay.

Again, this is not because a circumcised penis is inherently cleaner than a penis with a foreskin. This is entirely down to the hygiene of the individual.

Latest