The Student Room Group

Iranian diplomats expelled from the UK

Clicky

What do you think about Gordon Brown's claim that he had 'abolutely no choice' to expel the two Iranian diplomats from the UK? With Iran claiming that its own domestic unrest is the fault of the UK, surely Brown's tit-for-tat action was inevitable?

Gordon Brown
"In response to that action, we informed the Iranian ambassador today that we would expel two Iranian diplomats from their embassy in London."

Surely the greatest show of democracy in the face of such an arguably rampant tyranny such as the present Iranian government would have been for Brown to condemn Iran's decision to expel the two UK diplomats - and leave it at that?

Scroll to see replies

It is standard diplomatic practice to reciprocate with at least equal force in order to avoid losing face internationally. Condemning the decision and not expelling the Iranian diplomats could also be taken as an admission of guilt that there might be something to the claims of the Iranian government that Britain is stirring up trouble in Iran.

I know it doesn't make much sense but that is how it would have been interpreted. Besides, the Iranian Republic sees the UK as its greatest historical enemy, so we can't afford to show any sign of weakness or lack of resolve to them.
Reply 2
Sweyn Forkbeard
It is standard diplomatic practice to reciprocate with at least equal force in order to avoid losing face internationally. Condemning the decision and not expelling the Iranian diplomats could also be taken as an admission of guilt that there might be something to the claims of the Iranian government that Britain is stirring up trouble in Iran.

I know it doesn't make much sense but that is how it would have been interpreted. Besides, the Iranian Republic sees the UK as its greatest historical enemy, so we can't afford to show any sign of weakness or lack of resolve to them.

And could this latest diplomatic move proliferate the continued icy Anglo-Iranian relations? Or is it, as you say, just a standard diplomatic procedure that we should not be too concerned about?
jonboyyork
And could this latest diplomatic move proliferate the continued icy Anglo-Iranian relations? Or is it, as you say, just a standard diplomatic procedure that we should not be too concerned about?

I don't think we should be concerned about it - it won't make things any better, but it shouldn't make things any worse.
Sweyn Forkbeard

I'm sorry but this just doesn't make any sense. The obvious solution would be to try to induce peace between the two nations - not assert your position of power by expelling their diplomats out of your country.
Reply 5
jonboyyork

Surely the greatest show of democracy in the face of such an arguably rampant tyranny such as the present Iranian government would have been for Brown to condemn Iran's decision to expel the two UK diplomats - and leave it at that?

No, he'd just look like a complete pushover. Their Supreme Leader has already called us an 'evil' government, we should of been the ones expelling their diplomats first.
Reply 6
Misogynist
I'm sorry but this just doesn't make any sense. The obvious solution would be to try to induce peace between the two nations - not assert your position of power by expelling their diplomats out of your country.

Why should we have to make peace with fascists who call us "evil"?
Sometimes the UK should show a bit more gumption in our dealing with these tyrants - we have the ultimate example of a PC government that doesn't seem capable of standing up for itself and the country.
The ideal show of defiance would have been to expel their diplomats first and condemn Khamenei as a coward because he didn't quite have the guts to openly criticise America, so he just targeted its closest ally.
Reply 8
Student2806
Sometimes the UK should show a bit more gumption in our dealing with these tyrants - we have the ultimate example of a PC government that doesn't seem capable of standing up for itself and the country.
The ideal show of defiance would have been to expel their diplomats first and condemn Khamenei as a coward because he didn't quite have the guts to openly criticise America, so he just targeted its closest ally.

Eh? Iran has been "criticising" the US openly for the last thirty years. From a realist perspective, Khamenei's move is entirely rational - since the Obama administration has been more willing to improve relations, Iran have focused their ire on the traditional enemy, the UK. The UK has been more hated and more criticised in Iran for decades (even prior to the '79 revolution) - hence the proximity with France, the French language, and distinct dislike for the English.

But yes, what Brown did, was standard diplomatic practice - it remains to be seen as to what happens to British-Iranian relations in the future.
Reply 9
I just feel like it makes Britian look a little childish in fron of Iran. Iran already has an image of being tough and unreasonable and Britian is just being as adamant as them...it doesn't lift britain's image in any way...which it could have done tackled differently.
the british governemtn are a bunch of monkeys to do this i mean seriously whats going to happen by expelling diplomats i mean not such a wow factor!!!! god Grodan Brown is seriously doing a nice job in his relations with Iran i mean yes its not fair because iran did the same as well but it dont mean you do the exact same it illustrates that your palying a game with iran!! u roll the dice i roll the dice pethetic bunch thats i can say about the british governement gets to show that they actually dont want a peaceful relationship with Iran afterall!!! my theory is this the iranian governement were testing the britsh to see if they actually react to what they do and if they do react gets to show that they dont want relations with Iran and their idea of a relation was an empty promise........meh what ever if they expell american diplomats that would be more spicy and hot!
inaya_maryam
the british governemtn are a bunch of monkeys to do this i mean seriously whats going to happen by expelling diplomats i mean not such a wow factor!!!! god Grodan Brown is seriously doing a nice job in his relations with Iran i mean yes its not fair because iran did the same as well but it dont mean you do the exact same it illustrates that your palying a game with iran!! u roll the dice i roll the dice pethetic bunch thats i can say about the british governement gets to show that they actually dont want a peaceful relationship with Iran afterall!!! my theory is this the iranian governement were testing the britsh to see if they actually react to what they do and if they do react gets to show that they dont want relations with Iran and their idea of a relation was an empty promise........meh what ever if they expell american diplomats that would be more spicy and hot!

The USA doesn't have an embassy in Iran, genius.
Democracy
The USA doesn't have an embassy in Iran, genius.

listen mr genius i said 'if' i know that they dont have an embassy down there i aint that stupid i would reasearch before i present ok next time read in between my lines ok....you have issues bruv go and sort it out when ever i praise Iran and Ahmedinejad you always seem to attack me why????? there are others who support him as well on this site why always be a critc of me eh??? is it because i challenge you standard of knowledge is that why??? or cant you just face competion??? listen bruv no matter what you may think or hear at the end of the day ahmedinejad is president and your not so deal with it ok...........god some heads need to get out of the mentality that elections happend and results are out deal with it at the end of the day heads didnt make a deal out of Bush stealing the election in 2004 why make a deal out of an election that happend in Iran............man this worlds damn deluded
inaya_maryam
listen mr genius i said 'if' i know that they dont have an embassy down there i aint that stupid i would reasearch before i present ok next time read in between my lines ok....

:rolleyes:

So basically...you can't take it that you don't know anything about Iran. Right, got it.

you have issues bruv go and sort it out when ever i praise Iran and Ahmedinejad you always seem to attack me why?????

I'm not your "bruv".

Cause you're defending fascists. I hate people who defend fascists. So I will attack you.

there are others who support him as well on this site why always be a critc of me eh???

I do. Take a look through my posts, I assure you, you are not alone.

is it because i challenge you standard of knowledge is that why??? or cant you just face competion???

Don't flatter yourself love, the likes of you don't count as competition, given that you can't even spell "competition".

listen bruv no matter what you may think or hear at the end of the day ahmedinejad is president and your not so deal with it ok...........

Lucky for me the people of Iran are brave enough to stand up to fascists like him. On the contrary, YOU should deal with the fact that your idol is hated by his countrymen and had to rig an election to get back into power.

god some heads need to get out of the mentality that elections happend and results are out deal with it at the end of the day heads didnt make a deal out of Bush stealing the election in 2004 why make a deal out of an election that happend in Iran............man this worlds damn deluded

Bush rigged the election in 2004 did he? :rofl:

I hope to god that you're not a politics student.
Reply 14
inaya_maryam
listen mr genius i said 'if' i know that they dont have an embassy down there i aint that stupid i would reasearch before i present ok next time read in between my lines ok....you have issues bruv go and sort it out when ever i praise Iran and Ahmedinejad you always seem to attack me why????? there are others who support him as well on this site why always be a critc of me eh??? is it because i challenge you standard of knowledge is that why??? or cant you just face competion??? listen bruv no matter what you may think or hear at the end of the day ahmedinejad is president and your not so deal with it ok...........god some heads need to get out of the mentality that elections happend and results are out deal with it at the end of the day heads didnt make a deal out of Bush stealing the election in 2004 why make a deal out of an election that happend in Iran............man this worlds damn deluded

Bush did not steal the 2004 election, nor did he steal the 2000 election - even though I support Gore. There is no way you can compare the democracy in the US to what happened in Iran - even though the president would have won anyway.

The expulsion was common practice - at the end of the day two diplomats will not change policy or communication between two countries.
Reply 15
here's more on the issue

http://newsblaze.com/story/20090629160834nm58.nb/topstory.html

Iran, after arresting 8 or 9 (the numbers are unclear) British Embassy staff in Tehran yesterday on the grounds of playing a role in post election demonstrations, released 5 of them today. The other three are still being interrogated.

The arrests come after unrest in Iran due to the disputed victory of hard-line president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in the Iranian elections. After the June 12 elections, faced with doubts of rigging in the vote count, many Iranians calling for a re-election have taken to the streets in protest and demonstrations, many of which end in violence.

The Ahmadinejad administration has blamed foreign governments, namely the British and American, for 'meddling' with Iranian politics and sparking the post election conflict.

Parviz Sarvari an Iranian MP stated that "the nation's tolerance for Britain's hidden and apparent policy of interference is over." Other Iranian diplomats have accused the British embassy of working undercover during the protests and pushing its own agenda.

The Fars News Agency reported that the arrested group of officials "played an active role in provoking recent unrest." British Foreign Secretary David Miliband calling for an immediate release of prisoners said that the arrests were 'harassment and intimidation' and that the claims were "wholly without foundation." He also showed concern over the numbers of detained which "are changing by the hour."

Last week, two British diplomats had been expelled from Iran, in retaliation to which Britain expelled two Iranian diplomats, after the withdrawal of family members of British diplomats from Iranian soil. The EU after a meeting in Corfu has promised a "strong and collective response" to any more harassment in Iran. It will be interesting to see where this diplomatic tit-for-tat ends and what state it leaves the both countries in.
Reply 16
Misogynist

Peace doesn't come about by one side rolling over and taking it up the arse.
I didn't want to start a new thread, but this is interesting:

http://www.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/3745513/massive-development-in-iran-qum-begins-to-turn-against-the-regime.thtml

Anyone know any more about it?
Reply 18
CyclopsRock
I didn't want to start a new thread, but this is interesting:

http://www.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/3745513/massive-development-in-iran-qum-begins-to-turn-against-the-regime.thtml

Anyone know any more about it?

Its the first I'm hearing of it, but if true, is incredible news.
Reply 19
Socrates
Its the first I'm hearing of it, but if true, is incredible news.

Seconded.

There were quite widespread movements against the regime, such as a significant number of MPs, the football players and so on. It's all promising.

Latest

Trending

Trending