The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Postgrad halls?

OK, this may be a teeny tiny bit early, but I'm aware the deadlines tend to be early and popular halls fill up.

I'm looking to start a Master's in 2010 (told you it was early...) and although I have a house for next year which I might continue with, that might go tits up for a variety of reasons. So, I want to ask if there's any Manchester postgrads about in halls, where they live and what it's like there, and would they recommend it? I was thinking about Ashburne, that looked nice, and a little away from the hellishly loud Tower.

Any help is much appreciated. Anyone...?
Reply 1
thatwhichiam
OK, this may be a teeny tiny bit early, but I'm aware the deadlines tend to be early and popular halls fill up.

I'm looking to start a Master's in 2010 (told you it was early...) and although I have a house for next year which I might continue with, that might go tits up for a variety of reasons. So, I want to ask if there's any Manchester postgrads about in halls, where they live and what it's like there, and would they recommend it? I was thinking about Ashburne, that looked nice, and a little away from the hellishly loud Tower.

Any help is much appreciated. Anyone...?

It's never too early, I started looking at Masters before having even started my BA :ninja:

I guess you already know about the accom website, being a current student, but what do you want from your halls? Afaik, there will be UG in Ashburne, so I don't know if you'd rather be with other PG students or if living with 1st years UG is fine for you. I met a couple of PG students in my halls and they seemed pretty happy with it, although they were all international students.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Anatheme
It's never too early, I started looking at Masters before having even started my BA :ninja:

I guess you already know about the accom website, being a current student, but what do you want from your halls? Afaik, there will be UG in Ashburne, so I don't know if you'd rather be with other PG students or if living with 1st years UG is fine for you. I met a couple of PG students in my halls and they seemed pretty happy with it, although they were all international students.

Yeah, I had a look on the accomm website and the thing is, so many of the 'halls' seem to be like random cottages in flats in odd locations (or at least this was the impression I was getting). The site seemed to imply that the postgrad bit in Ashburne is like a different section, away from first years etc, and I think there are a couple like that. I was mainly out to get views on anywhere people had been, since I haven't really seen any Manc postgrads hanging around the boards that I remember. Ladybarn also looked interesting too - you have to be over 21 I think to go in there, or at least a postgrad, so it could be quieter...

On a side note, are you on the committee of the Russian Soc next year?
Reply 3
thatwhichiam
Yeah, I had a look on the accomm website and the thing is, so many of the 'halls' seem to be like random cottages in flats in odd locations (or at least this was the impression I was getting). The site seemed to imply that the postgrad bit in Ashburne is like a different section, away from first years etc, and I think there are a couple like that. I was mainly out to get views on anywhere people had been, since I haven't really seen any Manc postgrads hanging around the boards that I remember. Ladybarn also looked interesting too - you have to be over 21 I think to go in there, or at least a postgrad, so it could be quieter...

On a side note, are you on the committee of the Russian Soc next year?

I am indeed, with Frances and a guy from my year :yep:

About accommodation, I know I'd rather live 5sec away from the uni so George Kenyon Hall seemed interesting, but aren't there any open days for PG?
Reply 4
Anatheme
I am indeed, with Frances and a guy from my year :yep:

About accommodation, I know I'd rather live 5sec away from the uni so George Kenyon Hall seemed interesting, but aren't there any open days for PG?

Heh, I wouldn't mind Fallowfield again, especially as I cycle in and I find that sometimes ends up as my only exercise :p: I'm not sure about open days, but it's entirely reasonable to suppose they have them...I guess I just want to find out from actual people who've lived there, rather than the uni's representatives who are being paid to take tours and the like. I wasn't sure I'd exactly get many answers...

Oh cool, I might come sometimes - see you there, maybe!

Latest

Trending

Trending